This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Vista Legacy

edited April 2010 in Technology
I've just had to deal with one of the most clogged computers I've seen to date. Even after reducing the virus scanners from three to one and removing much of the bloat, this Celeron with 1GB of ram was still struggling to start up in under three minutes. Have I just been spoiled by Ubuntu, or am I likely to run into more of this sort of thing?

Did anyone here run Vista? And, if so, What were your experiences?

Comments

• There's nothing wrong with Vista. I used it for a long time. I switched to Windows 7. The only difference I notice is the taskbar. The cloggedness of the computer is entirely the user's fault. They installed a bunch of shit. That can happen on any OS. Windows is just prone to ti because that's what most shit is written for. You can be sure if the malware writers started writing Mac Apps, they would become just as shit-filled. That's probably one reason why Steve Jobs wants to start controlling what apps are allowed and not allowed. He probably sees OSX possibly becoming full of malware, like Windows, in the future, and he wants to avoid that future.
  • Vista has always been a bit slow to get going. The trick is just don't turn it off, use sleep or hibernate instead. Also, any virus scanning software is a significant drag on a computer.
  • The first laptop that I ever owned (received in Christmas '08) ran Vista. I had already heard smack being said about Vista, so I was on my guard. At first it worked out well with myself as I was able to complete all my personal writing projects and other related media. However it's dark side began to show in the beginning of the 2nd half of 2009. It became really slow, really cluttered, stability went off kilter, etc. I blame the latter mostly due to the instability problems that comes along with the Aero GUI interface. I eventually had to shut off all the shiny Aero effects to get system stability restored, so it went to an XP GUI interface which I was fine with. I could go on more and more, but I would just get started on a rant which I'm too tired to make right now.

My motto for Windows Vista: You can't polish a turd.
  • I have Vista on the wife's lappy, and its memory management is horridly inefficient. Windows 7 was a huge improvement.
  • Even given Scott's tendency for exaggeration (Though I feel that's not quite the right word), I'd like to clarify, having had to clean XP systems in a similar state, the finished product was far from this bad, I'd usually be able to bring memory usage down to a point where switching between applications on a basic family computer wouldn't hang that long.
    I'd also like to rebut Scott's point that the user installed much of the bloat, the majority seems to have come from the manufacturer.

On a related note, I've been thinking of trying to push the Ubuntu Wubi install (Installing an Ubuntu system inside the Windows drive without need for partitioning) but think I need to test it on a family member first.
  • edited April 2010
    I'd also like to rebut Scott's point that the user installed much of the bloat, the majority seems to have come from the manufacturer.
    The manufacturer is basically the user. You can't blame Microsoft for that. If it isn't a clean install, it doesn't count. I installed Vista from scratch, and I haven't had any of the problems most people have had. Perhaps the manufacturers really are to blame? Maybe this is one more reason I never have any of the trouble other people have with their computers?

On a related note, I've been thinking of trying to push the Ubuntu Wubi install (Installing an Ubuntu system inside the Windows drive without need for partitioning) but think I need to test it on a family member first.
    Wubi is neat, but pointless. Just use VirtualBox.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • My school computer (T61) came with Vista, and I never had much in the way of issues as far as the operating system went. I shut off most, but not all, visual effects and the computer performed about as well as could be expected. The drops in performance I had were mostly from the excess of management programs Lenovo wants you to run in the back ground, or stuff that hangs out in the background in the name of speeding up a specific program.
  • Vista's just fine on my laptop.
  • Vista has worked just great for me aside from a couple shady installs. That was totally my fault and was fixed with a factory restore though.

Otherwise I can't really complain, it runs games, I like using microsoft's visual studio to write some c# games and being able to publish them to the xbox is nice too.

On the other hand I love ubuntu too, it's great for doing my more 'work related stuff' such as writing and web marketing type things. Gimp works great and my wacom tablet is supported perfectly. Unfortunately itunes doesn't work, but banshee seems to do the job. No genius though.

So really windows is great for playing games, using visual studio and itunes works on it, otherwise ubuntu feels cleaner to me.