This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Animazement 2010

edited April 2010 in Conventions
Is there anyone on the forums who's in the North Carolina-ish area and is planning on going to Animazement this year? It's May 28-30 in Raleigh.

I was able to go last year and it was pretty fun. Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it this year, but if there are others who are planning on going I might be more convinced to try and attend.

Con Website

Comments

• I used to be staff there, and it was a fun con. It's sadly just not on our radar anymore. Otakon, Anime Boston, and the NYCC/NYAF are the last anime cons we have time for.
  • I might be going, it really depends on whether or not I can get a job for the summer.
  • I go to this convention every year, as it is my local convention. I don't even really need a hotel to go, as it's only about a 15 minute drive.
    I may or may not also have part of an art table there with a friend. So we'll see how that goes.
  • I used to be staff there, and it was a fun con. It's sadly just not on our radar anymore. Otakon, Anime Boston, and the NYCC/NYAF are the last anime cons we have time for.
    Improptu staff, and then MIA staff. :P

Anyway, most of the people that staffed the con when I was staffing have quit. They got a new director last year and he decided to make everyone do things differently, even though they had systems that worked already. That didn't work out very well, and a lot of things went wrong on the staff side. However, they were champs and worked really hard to pull off the con in a way that didn't show to the attendees. I got to hear it all because all the staffers would come bitch to me in my booth in the dealer's room, but I didn't have to deal with it myself because I wasn't staff last year. Good times!

At any rate, I don't know how it will go, but it could be awesome or it could be chaos because of the mass exodus of staff.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2010
    or it could be chaos because of the mass exodus of staff.
    I can't speak for AZ, but I'm expecting staff uprisings from several major anime cons in the next few years. The gap between the "staff" demographic and the attendee demographic is growing too rapidly, and the attendees are to young to legally be responsible for many parts of a convention. It's one thing to run logistics, but the majority of staff at anime cons these days are glorified babysitters. Combine that gap with the amazingly high level of drama, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    Post edited by Rym on