This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

BRITAIN BANS ANIME - or at least that's what I heard.

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
Anime Vice has reported that my fair country has passed a law stating that possession of "non-photographic visual depictions of child sexual abuse" will carry a maximum sentence of 3 years in prison. This potentially could include anime and manga, especially the whole moe movement that's been happening recently.

While I don't think it'll go that far, the law carries a rather nebulous definition of objectionable, as they define a child as "a person under 18 years of age". This sounds like trouble to me, and porbably the reason why a lot of anime are fearing this new law, because it'll incriminate the wrong people and just become another form of censorship. And I can help but think of all those other anti-paedophile laws that never really work...

Comments

• Utena is illegal under laws like this, techincally. ^_~
  • Anime Vicehas reportedthat my fair country has passed a law stating that possession of "non-photographic visual depictions of child sexual abuse" will carry a maximum sentence of 3 years in prison. This potentially could include anime and manga, especially the whole moe movement that's been happening recently.
    Dude, this country essentially banned public photography. I'm hardly suprised.
  • It's more a ban on hentai than anime.
  • the whole moe movement that's been happening recently.
    Don't call it a mo(e)vement, lest you make them think their fetish is accepted like furries think. Also, you're thinking of lolicon crap instead of moe crap.
  • It's more a ban on hentai than anime.
    Regardless, it's a ban on art, which I am fundamentally opposed to.
  • Regardless, it's a ban on art, which I am fundamentally opposed to.
    True, but in the court of public opinion you'll find little support for anything involving children and sex.
  • Solution: "All characters depicted in this work are 18 years of age or older."
    True, but in the court of public opinion you'll find little support for anything involving children and sex.
    What if they're teenagers?
    That's because the public largely myopic and often focuses on instances rather than the principals.
  • Meh, they try and they try, never going to hold up in the EU courts.
    Worse yet, it's one of those laws where they are given wide reaching and sweeping powers while saying they'll only use them where apropriate.. for now.
  • While I don't think it'll go that far, the law carries a rather nebulous definition of objectionable, as they define a child as "a person under 18 years of age". This sounds like trouble to me, and porbably the reason why a lot of anime are fearing this new law, because it'll incriminate the wrong people and just become another form of censorship. And I can help but think ofall those other anti-paedophile laws that never really work...
    Also, the age of consent is 16 in the UK, so I can see all the 16 year old booty I want, just can't draw it?
  • Also, the age of consent is 16 in the UK, so I can see all the 16 year old booty I want, just can't draw it?
    You can hit that, but you have to close your eyes.
  • Also, the age of consent is 16 in the UK, so I can see all the 16 year old booty I want, just can't draw it?
    You can hit that, but you have to close your eyes.
    Wouldn't be the first time...
  • My scanlation group has pointed me at 4chan making this a new meme: "Banned in the U.K."