This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I think it belongs on Blade Runner...

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
I know, I know. I have bee MIA and probably no one actually noticed it. But I did. Deep in my heart there has been an even deeper void. And, aside from cow bell, the only foreseeable solution is to pull a few of you into my messed up world, rather than return to the joys of geekdom (at least until this month is over an I have finished my thesis).

Anyhow, back in December, Gizmodo had the tasteless gall to feature one of my dresses on their blog. It looked something like this:
Sure, it's exciting to get some media attention but the simple truth is that I have come to hate that dress and want to make it better. The circuitry was practically nonexistent and the LEDs were offensive. Flash forward now, as I select the colors for my next dress. I'm thinking of moving away from the white lights I used originally in favor of colored lights. So, if any of you would be so kind as to visit my blog post, check out the demo video, and give input, I would be most grateful.

Comments

• Have you thought about using electroluminescent material? It'd give you much more uniform glow.
  • I have considered it, but not for this iteration.
  • I liked the warm white (ORANGE) colour best.

I still wonder if that dress is as uncomfortable as it looks.
  • The uncomfortable bit was a night time photoshoot in the middle of winter. The dress itself feels awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    Do you have it set up so that John Conways game of life is running on the dress? Because that is definitely a glider in that picture.
    EDIT: I read your post, it is! You are now my favorite person.
    DOUBLE EDIT: It appears you are only running a pre-generated iteration of the game of life. Are there plans for implimenting a dress that accepts arbitrary inputs?
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • But I did.
    So did I.
  • edited April 2010
    DOUBLE EDIT: It appears you are only running a pre-generated iteration of the game of life. Are there plans for implimenting a dress that accepts arbitrary inputs?
    Arbitrary inputs through capacitive touch sensors woven in. When someone runs their hands along the dress, the inputs and colors randomly shift.

Fund it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Arbitrary inputs through capacitive touch sensors woven in. When someone runs their hands along the dress, the inputs and colors randomly shift.
    Sir, I like the way you think.
  • edited April 2010
    Sir, I like the way you think.
    "Game of life" indeed.

Anyway, despite the fact that what Pete and I are thinking of would be a...fun...implementation, it'd also be totally rocking for everything else. You're at a cocktail party, and as you arms brush the dress while you walk, the panels shimmer and explode into new colors. Awesome.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Anyway, despite the fact that what Pete and I are thinking of would be a...fun...implementation, it'd also be totally rocking for everything else. You're at a cocktail party, and as you arms brush the dress while you walk, the panels shimmer and explode into new colors. Awesome.
    Did you have to use the word 'explode'? I might have woken some neighbours up now.
  • edited April 2010
    But I did.
    So did I.
    Awe.
    Arbitrary inputs through capacitive touch sensors woven in. When someone runs their hands along the dress, the inputs and colors randomly shift.
    Yup, my original proposal was to incorporate capacitive sensing in each cell. But this nasty little bugger named time got in my way. I now need to make the dress in the next two weeks so I have time for debugging for my May 7th thesis presentation.
    Fund it.
    Along with being my thesis, this is intended as my proof of concept to submit for grants and residencies. Then I can do the dress in all the extravagant detail I wish.

As it is now, I'm looking at seeding the dress with a predetermined pattern and letting that run. I'm in favor of gliders since they will travel the dress, showing the functionality of all the cells, without requiring the power to light all the lights at the same time.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • Along with being my thesis, this is intended as my proof of concept to submit for grants and residencies. Then I can do the dress in all the extravagant detail I wish.
    Very cool.
    I'm in favor of gliders since they will travel the dress, showing the functionality of all the cells, without requiring the power to light all the lights at the same time.
    That makes sense. What's driving it now? LiPO cell?
  • edited April 2010

Along with being my thesis, this is intended as my proof of concept to submit for grants and residencies. Then I can do the dress in all the extravagant detail I wish.

As it is now, I'm looking at seeding the dress with a predetermined pattern and letting that run. I'm in favor of gliders since they will travel the dress, showing the functionality of all the cells, without requiring the power to light all the lights at the same time.
    What kind of virtual surface are you running Life on? Are you using toroidal wrapping?
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I'm in favor of gliders since they will travel the dress, showing the functionality of all the cells, without requiring the power to light all the lights at the same time.
    That makes sense. What's driving it now? LiPO cell?
    Right now, it's playing on AAs. I haven't decided on the final power source. I'm contemplating cellphone batteries. Suggestions are welcome.
    What kind of virtual surface are you running Life on? Are you using toroidal wrapping?
    Left to right, top to bottom. Fortunately, software is easy to tweak. My focus right now is on the hardware.