This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Someone told me it's all happening at the zoo

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
I went today to visit the Akron Zoo. It is not a large one, and rather trashy. However, a couple of exhibits allow you to get closer to the animals than is possible at larger zoos. Also, the stingrays and jellyfish exhibits were the neatest things I've seen in a long time (although impossible to photograph through the glass and low light with my equipment).

Is anybody else obsessed with zoo-hopping? Lisa and I frequent the ones in Cleveland, Columbus, and Indianapolis, as well as a handful of smaller regional ones.

Comments

• We have a few zoos around here. I've only been to 1. I plan on rectifying this over summer.

Love the pictures.
  • The only zoo near me is the LA zoo, but it's a pretty good one. My girlfriend and I get an annual membership every year. The San Diego zoo is supposed to be amazing, but that's a few hours away. Also, it's in San Diego, and fuck San Diego.
  • San Diego zoo is amazing. But probably one of the only good things about San Diego. Same dilemma as the Monterey Bay Aquarium, except Monterey is worse.
  • I go to the one in DC since it's so close to my house. It's great, but not when it's crowded.

Really though, I love aquariums more.
  • San Diego zooisamazing. But probably one of the only good things about San Diego.
    I love San Diego, and their zoo is amazing.
  • I go to the one in DC since it's so close to my house. It's great, but not when it's crowded.

Really though, I love aquariums more.
    Aquariums are awesome. You can just sit on the little benches and veg out looking at the fishes.
  • edited April 2010
    I have a love-hate relationship with zoos. I love seeing the animals, but get depressed at their fate. I've seen a some captive animals that are mentally ill. The polar bear in Central Park is one example. There was a similar polar bear habitat in Worcester, MA. I'd like to go to the San Diego Zoo, though.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • My sister works for a small indoor zoo around here, she is constantly on those morning news shows displaying animals. She really wants to go to the Zoo in Columbus Ohio apparently because they offered to give her the VIP/behind the scenes tour.
  • Jeremy and I went to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium on a finally nice Saturday. Had a blast. It was too bad we couldn't see the newly born baby Sumatran tiger cubs because they still needed to get used to being a family, however they did have a camera feed of them. You can check out better pictures of them on their Facebook Page

Here are some of the pictures I took. You can see the rest on
    my flickr.

We'll have to go back when the Red Wolf Exhibit has finished construction and the baby tigers can be seen.

We also plan on going to Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle as well.
  • My friends and I are planning on going to the San Diego zoo within the next week or two. So stoked!
  • Lisa and I will be hitting the Pittsburgh Zoo on July 4. Expect photographs.
  • There's a zoo thread? Cool! A prize for anyone who guesses which of the photos below is now my desktop image.

Last Tuesday I went to the zoo with my parents. The Tierpark in Berlin is huge, and even after visiting twice there are a few parts I've not seen yet. Here are some animal photos.

A Gibbon (I think).

A Gibbon (I think).

Ring tailed lemurs. This photo is a collaboration between myself and my father. He stood behind me, doing increasingly big and stupid movements to get them all to look our way at the same time.

Ring tailed lemurs. This photo is a collaboration between myself and my father. He stood behind me, doing increasingly big and stupid movements to get them all to look our way at the same time.

Love is in the air!

Love is in the air!

I could watch the baby monkeys playing all day! Here they'd (accidentally) set up a seesaw balance type thing. A monkey each end, pivoting over a log. The monkey on top is here pushing the stick off the log.

I could watch the baby monkeys playing all day! Here they'd (accidentally) set up a seesaw balance type thing. A monkey each end, pivoting over a log. The monkey on top is here pushing the stick off the log.

My parents looking into the manatee tank.

My parents looking into the manatee tank.

Manatees like lettuce.

Manatees like lettuce.

We reached the elephant enclosure in time to see their daily wash and foot check. Compared to actually washing elephants in a river, in India, it really didn't compare.

We reached the elephant enclosure in time to see their daily wash and foot check. Compared to actually washing elephants in a river, in India, it really didn't compare.

Open wide...

Open wide...

Elephants love apples.

Elephants love apples.

Lazy leopard.

Lazy leopard.

Sunbathing vulture.

Sunbathing vulture.

Prairie dogs.

Prairie dogs.

A visitor's dog watching the prairie dogs.

A visitor's dog watching the prairie dogs.

Tiger portrait.

Tiger portrait.

Two bears, two Burrages. I made my parents pose for this photo, as when I saw the bears in the distance I thought a shot like this would look good. I should get people to pose for natural shots more often.

Two bears, two Burrages. I made my parents pose for this photo, as when I saw the bears in the distance I thought a shot like this would look good. I should get people to pose for natural shots more often.

My dad with a pelican.

My dad with a pelican.

• edited June 2010
    I travel a lot for work, and wound up being sent to Tupelo, Mississippi once. I have a personal goal to "see" every state I get sent to. That is, do more than eat at chain restaurants and sit in my hotel. Unfortunately the northeast quadrant of Mississippi is desolate of all fun, except for the Tupelo Buffalo Park! http://www.tupelobuffalopark.com/ I found this zoo allowed you much more access to the animals than what I am used to coming from the northeast.

The only other things I had on my list in Tupelo were a world-famous bansai tree farm which was closed to the public for the world bansai convention that week, and Evlis's birthplace which is $10 admission to peek in a shack, a.k.a. the worst I have ever been roped into a tourist trap.

Also, my favorite amusement park, Hershey Park (in Hershey, PA of course), has a zoo attached to the back for free w/ park admission that nobody seems to go to. If you're into prairie dogs, they have an awesome penned-in area that is overflowing with them. Pretty awesome sight to see so many popping in and out of the ground. It is like the world's largest game of whack-a-mole.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Adam and I aren't exactly avid zoo goers, but almost every vacation we take involves a trip to the local zoo/wildlife sanctuary. Our next zoo trip will be at the end of June to my favorite zoo, Lowery Park Zoo in Tampa. It is arguably one of the best zoos in the US. We may also see the Tampa Aquarium (which I haven't seen since I was 15).
    If you like visiting with animals, I highly recommend the African Lion Safari. It is on the way to Toronto from Niagara Falls.
  • Adam and I aren't exactly avid zoo goers, but almost every vacation we take involves a trip to the local zoo/wildlife sanctuary. Our next zoo trip will be at the end of June to my favorite zoo, Lowery Park Zoo in Tampa. It is arguably one of the best zoos in the US. We may also see the Tampa Aquarium (which I haven't seen since I was 15).
    If you like visiting with animals, I highly recommend the African Lion Safari. It is on the way to Toronto from Niagara Falls.
    If this safari is the same one I'm thinking of, I agree wholeheartedly with your recommendation, particularly if you have a car that you don't care too much what happens to it. Without spoiling too much, I'll just say that you drive yourself through...and the baboons and monkeys run loose. Oh, and if you have loose trim on your car, you will no longer have that trim on your car afterwards.
  • A prize for anyone who guesses which of the photos below is now my desktop image.
    It's the horses, isn't it?
  • A prize for anyone who guesses which of the photos below is now my desktop image.
    It's the horses, isn't it?
    Nope! Guess again.
    ?
  • Man! These are some fantastic zoo photos! I especially like the contemplative gibbon and the prairie dog shot!

I love zoos, but am ashamed to say that what is making me really want to go to my local zoo is their animatronic life-size dinosaur walk they currently have!
  • the prairie dog shot!
    Winner! That one is my desktop image.
  • I love zoos, but am ashamed to say that what is making me really want to go to my local zoo is their animatronic life-size dinosaur walk they currently have!
    WHAT. Please, Ma'am, I implore you, tell me of your local zoo - It's now on my list of "Places to go when I'm in America."
  • Prairie Dog!
    Hershey Park 089
  • Please, Ma'am, I implore you, tell me of your local zoo - It's now on my list of "Places to go when I'm in America."
    Our zoo is a pretty good zoo. Big and roomy. Here's the info on the dinosaurs: link. Only around until Sept 6th. If you've never done a cross country trip to see our nation's fake dinosaurs, I recommend it! Never gets old :)