This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I bought Machi Koro, seems kinda neat.

IMHO it's the same game as Splendor, only worse. The art is more fun, though.
    What makes it better? I haven't played either.
  • Played a couple of quick games of Ca$h and Guns. Pretty fun, but it's certainly a game that leans heavily on it's props for the fun; the actual game is pretty easy.
  • Neito said:

Played a couple of quick games of Ca$h and Guns. Pretty fun, but it's certainly a game that leans heavily on it's props for the fun; the actual game is pretty easy.

The expansion adds some stuff that I've found beefs the game up a bit more: new loot types and a "safe" that the godfather can rummage through once per round.
  • Coldguy said:

Any zenkaikon gaming requests?

Glen More - because I don't think we have appropriate time or an appropriate space for 1830.

I'm going to bring a Mü deck, to test Rym's tolerance for trick taking games with bidding, changing partnerships, and a single winner. ;]
  • pence said:

Coldguy said:

Any zenkaikon gaming requests?

Glen More - because I don't think we have appropriate time or an appropriate space for 1830.
    I will be packing tonight after the two con weeks are done and house is in order gaming willr resume again and can bust out the 1830 for fun.
  • MATATAT said:

What makes it better? I haven't played either.

No dice. Nothing is less fun than a lost turn due to an unlucky roll.
  • I love rolling dice though. Something about it just gets me. Which is why I've considered buying not so great games like Quarriors just so I can roll a shitload of them.
  • MATATAT said:

I love rolling dice though. Something about it just gets me. Which is why I've considered buying not so great games like Quarriors just so I can roll a shitload of them.

The problem with Quarriors is that it ends too soon. There are all these crazy powerful awesome dice, but you only ever maybe get one of them, and then the game ends after you roll them maybe once. The game should end after the top player rolls a nice handful of powerful dice 2-3 times.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I love rolling dice though. Something about it just gets me. Which is why I've considered buying not so great games like Quarriors just so I can roll a shitload of them.

The problem with Quarriors is that it ends too soon. There are all these crazy powerful awesome dice, but you only ever maybe get one of them, and then the game ends after you roll them maybe once. The game should end after the top player rolls a nice handful of powerful dice 2-3 times.
    That's one problem with Quarriors. The other is that there are two levels of luck in the game instead of the usual one that's in dice games or deck building games. In deck building games, there's only one level of luck... the hand of cards that you draw. Same with dice games, only one level of luck... what you roll. But in Quarriors, there are actually two levels of luck, the dice you draw out of your bag and actually rolling those dice.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

That's one problem with Quarriors. The other is that there are two levels of luck in the game instead of the usual one that's in dice games or deck building games. In deck building games, there's only one level of luck... the hand of cards that you draw. Same with dice games, only one level of luck... what you roll. But in Quarriors, there are actually two levels of luck, the dice you draw out of your bag and actually rolling those dice.
    That's not actually two levels of luck. It's just an illusion. Just think of putting one die into your bag as the same as putting six cards in your deck.
  • Apreche said:

That's not actually two levels of luck. It's just an illusion. Just think of putting one die into your bag as the same as putting six cards in your deck.

Those six cards are dependent on one another (if you wanted to model it with cards, once you draw one, the others would have to leave your deck until you reshuffle)

It's still noteworthy that adding a die to a bag isn't the same as adding a card to a deck - the amount of variance and "streakiness" in every hand will go up. Whether or not that's a problem is a matter of taste.
  • pence said:

Apreche said:

Those six cards are dependent on one another (if you wanted to model it with cards, once you draw one, the others would have to leave your deck until you reshuffle)

It's still noteworthy that adding a die to a bag isn't the same as adding a card to a deck - the amount of variance and "streakiness" in every hand will go up. Whether or not that's a problem is a matter of taste.
    That's true, but it still doesn't mean there are two layers. It's just different odds.
  • Played Mysterium at work during lunch. It's a little setup heavy, and feels a little light for the setup you have to do, but it's not bad. Play-wise, it's like Clue meets Dixit; you get the strong Dixit feel of the arty cards, but each round takes long enough that it kinda loses it's appeal. It's a good "every once in a while" game.
  • Colt Express seems to go over extremely well with people who don't usually play or care for board games. They always seem to get extremely invested after a confused first round. The last group I introduced it to this weekend homebrewed the "50-cent" award.
  • I think pretty much anybody can get on board with schemin' and lootin'.
  • I played some interesting games at Zenkaikon.

Not all of them were good, per se, but they certainly were interesting.
  • Rym said:

I played some interesting games at Zenkaikon.

Not all of them were good, per se, but they certainly were interesting.

I'm increasingly embracing that as a property of my favorite games. The games I enjoy - genuinely enjoy - encompass some unusual things.
  • ThatGent said:

Colt Express seems to go over extremely well with people who don't usually play or care for board games. They always seem to get extremely invested after a confused first round. The last group I introduced it to this weekend homebrewed the "50-cent" award.

Game of the year for a reason!
  • Chicken surprise will reign supreme
  • Coldguy said:

Chicken surprise will reign supreme

One squat and garish Pavilion of stone
    Stands in Manhattan. Near it, on the street,
    on a tacky sign these words appear:
    "One coke, a slice sicilian; one dollar five: and
    Six pack takeout beer, ye thirsty; get it here!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that oily shack
  • I wonder how Colt Express is with the expansion. I enjoyed it, and would play it again, but if I'm going for card-driven chaos, I do prefer Robo Rally.
  • This past weekend I was at Zenkaikon - which led to a typically heavy day of gaming (I did nearly all of my gaming this week on Saturday.) However, I did not move the needle on the effort to play all of my games in 2016, partially because a box of small/asian games just arrived.

Collection Played in 2016: 37%. 93 games to go. Added this week: Wyatt Earp, Ticket to Ride Asia, Age of Craft. Trade Pile: Blood Bound.

Acquire - We’ve been having very close games of Acquire recently… this one came down to about $2000.

Eminent Domain - With the Exotica expansion - which doesn’t really change my opinion one way or the other, although the scenarios in our game seemed better thought-out than the ones in Escalation.

- We played two hands of Mü while waiting for another game - the rules of Mü are easy to teach to anyone familiar with trick-taking games, but reading a hand and playing well are surprisingly elusive... something has gone (hilariously) awry when the chief only takes 6 points.

Stockpile (new to me) - Anthony taught the only new-to-me game I played at Zenkaikon - and while whole pieces of this game feel very similar to other games, it all works and the insider trading theme comes through well. We frequently laughed at market panics occurring too late in the turn order to respond to.

Fast Food Franchise - Opening an expensive franchise first in Detroit was a bad idea. This game was like a case study on why you don’t do that. (“No one in America knows what a hamburger is. We have utterly failed.”)

Power Grid: Factory Manager - It’s strange to think we’ve only played this twice (not counting a two player runthrough late last year). This is one of Anthony’s games that we both describe as atypical for his usual tastes - a short exercise in efficiency and optimization that we’ve both been enjoying.
  • Mü confuses and frightens me.

I can see paths of safe play. But those paths are not paths to winning. I can not read the true value of a hand, nor can I quickly sort card value when colors and numbers are both in play for the multitrump.

It's Euchre, but twisted three times perpendicular to reality.
  • Now, that Acquire game we played. It had been over a decade since I last played that game, and I'm impressed with how close I was to you guys despite languishing in sub-optimal play for my second fifth of the game.
  • Not having grown up in the midwest, I've never played Euchre - although I know the rules. I mostly played Hearts and Spades, and even then, mostly online or even the normal Windows Hearts. When I was younger I never understood the subtleties in Spades (which isn't a particularly subtle game).
  • pence said:

Power Grid: Factory Manager - It’s strange to think we’ve only played this twice (not counting a two player runthrough late last year). This is one of Anthony’s games that we both describe as atypical for his usual tastes - a short exercise in efficiency and optimization that we’ve both been enjoying.

Speaking of atypical games in my collection, The Gallerist is one I got just last week. I played it yesterday using the solo rules included, and even though the amount of actions you can actually do is fairly limited, the way the game's mechanisms are all so closely tied together makes for pretty involved play.

I also really enjoy the theme, of course.
  • There's a new printing of Marrakech
  • Apreche said:

There's a new printing of Marrakech

My girl will be delighted to hear that.
  • I won't be in West Chester on Friday, but I managed to get Last Will and the Expansion for Saturday. Teaching the game again at Zenkaikon reminded me of how fun the game is. It's not quite as elegant as Prodigal's club, but it's still a fun ride.
  • Now I want to play Mü.