This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

We have Eclipse, so whyyyyyyy?

I watched a review of that last week - it looks more like an engine-building card game with the MoO license than a tabletop version of MoO. YMMV depending on what you're looking for.

Expect to see some of these at MAGFest:
    Post edited by pence on
  • Tough call between trick-taking map-building and chariot race.
  • I have been super skeptical of Master of Orion in board game form since its announcement was very sparse, but included mention of the 40-60min playtime. Sure, you can do some neat tribute to the 4X experience with a light/fast game. It's been done. But if you're going to slap Master of Orion title on it, do it right.
  • No idea, but can't judge it till I have any idea what it's like.
  • edited October 2016
    I played Fuji Flush at a Buonocore game day last month. It's legit.

Let's be honest, I don't get to play board games enough for me to be ordering shit from Essen that is going to come out here a few weeks or months later. However, sometimes, shit doesn't come to the USA. I want to know what that is going to be. This very good GeekList says the Targi expansion, Targi: Die Erweiterung, won't be getting a USA release. Don't know why, but Targi is one of the best 2p games out there. I am down for more. I might order this from Funagain since they offer free BGGCon pickup.

Speaking of which, last call on a BGGCon badge if someone feels like going.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited October 2016
    Matt said:

I don't get to play board games enough for me to be ordering shit from Essen that is going to come out here a few weeks or months later.

I didn't preorder Colony or Oceanos because I don't foresee any trouble finding them later.

I want to preorder the card game from one of the designers of Russian Railroads, but it's not on Funagain.
    Post edited by pence on
  • I have a strict policy that any game designed by a guy named Helmut is worth my time.
  • Helmut(h) von Moltke the elder played a lot of the game called actual war with human beings and guns. He even coined the phrase "No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength". We usually just say bingo though.
  • Apreche said:

Looked at all the games available.

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=036971

It's not a 4x game.
  • Apreche said:

Looked at all the games available.

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=036971

It's not a 4x game.
    Straight up, Eclipse is the only 4x game I've seen.
  • pence said:

Apreche said:

I watched a review of that last week - it looks more like an engine-building card game with the MoO license than a tabletop version of MoO. YMMV depending on what you're looking for.
    So it's more like EmDo then.
  • Uhh... there's a Mega Man board game now?
  • Was on KS over a year ago. Never heard any opinions on it or read much about it. *Highly* suspicious.
  • Matt said:

Was on KS over a year ago. Never heard any opinions on it or read much about it. *Highly* suspicious.

It's a push-your luck, racing, take-that dice game that lasts for 1 hour minimum per player.

Picture a game where each player is playing a Mega Man in a race to beat Dr. Wily.

Each player gets a turn to be Mega Man, and you pick a robot master stage. Each stage has different sections to it, each of which has to be conquered by rolling dice and getting the exact symbols shown on some tiny cards.

As Mega Man, you get to play a card from your hand to help yourself complete a section, but then every other player gets a chance to play a card that makes it harder.

If you survive enough to get to the robot master, you can fight it in another dice roll-off. You have a set number of lives, and if you lose them all, your Mega Man gets kicked out of the stage and has to start all over.

You have to beat a certain number of robot masters before you even get the chance to enter Dr. Wily's stage. There, you fight the Yellow Devil and Dr. Wily (he has more than one form). Losing all your lives here will also kick you out of the stage.

It was a vehicle for delivering minis to nerds who know absolutely nothing about modern board gaming and little else.
  • Andrew said:
    So weird to see Keith Baker in that context. I mostly remember him as Eberron guy.
  • Adventures in Kickstarters:

Lazer Ryders: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/lazer-ryderz-the-totally-rad-tabletop-racing-game?ref=user_menu

As Matt as mentioned it's X-wing lite and I already have a 3x3 space mat to play on.

AEGIS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/aegis-combining-robot-strategy-game?ref=user_menu

Tactical combining robot game, hoping this one gets off the ground and they can fully realize the game.
  • I know the designers of Lazer Ryder's and have played it several times and can confirm it is legit.
  • Finally got a copy of Drunk Quest. It's pretty light as far as a card game goes. But I appreciate the fact that they truly did make a (card) game about drinking.
  • MATATAT said:

Finally got a copy of Drunk Quest. It's pretty light as far as a card game goes. But I appreciate the fact that they truly did make a (card) game about drinking.

Better than a drinking game with cards.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Finally got a copy of Drunk Quest. It's pretty light as far as a card game goes. But I appreciate the fact that they truly did make a (card) game about drinking.

You have not heard the tale of the completed but never release Drunk Fluxx. The chance of death in that drinking game is way too high for mortal men.
  • Putting the fall auction money to use: Anthony picked up T.I.M.E. Stories, I am taking a chance on 4 Gods.

• edited October 2016
    pence said:

Putting the fall auction money to use: Anthony picked up T.I.M.E. Stories, I am taking a chance on 4 Gods.

Both games sound interesting.
    Post edited by Raithnor on
  • Knowing nothing about 4 Gods, other than the number "4" and the word "Gods", I am down.
  • Speaks of gods, I'm really looking forward to both the 7 Wonders: Duel expansion as well as the expansion for Deus.
  • Speaks of gods, I'm really looking forward to both the 7 Wonders: Duel expansion as well as the expansion for Deus.

I still want to play 7 Wonders Duel.

In other 2 player game news, Patchwork was/is just $1 on iOS, so I know how to play that now. It's pretty good, but I have to read the rulebook. The app doesn't include a rulebook, and the tutorial doesn't explain everything in enough detail for me.
  • edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

In other 2 player game news, Patchwork was/is just $1 on iOS, so I know how to play that now. It's pretty good, but I have to read the rulebook. The app doesn't include a rulebook, and the tutorial doesn't explain everything in enough detail for me.

The rules are very brief and clearly presented. You can digest them in 3 minutes: http://lookout-spiele.de/wp-content/uploads/Patchwork_Rules_US.pdf

Edit: the only confusing part of the rules is the bottom of page 4. The clarification (and an explanation for how it got written that way) is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17259172#17259172
    Post edited by pence on
  • Apreche said:

Speaks of gods, I'm really looking forward to both the 7 Wonders: Duel expansion as well as the expansion for Deus.

I still want to play 7 Wonders Duel.

I'm on record earlier in this thread in saying that I think 7 Wonders Duel is better than 7 Wonders, and that opinion hasn't changed. I think Duel is a tighter more strategic game.
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

You have not heard the tale of the completed but never release Drunk Fluxx. The chance of death in that drinking game is way too high for mortal men.
    Drinking Fluxx? That shit is coming out. Fun story, they are celebrating their 21st anniversary of the company by putting out the drinking game.

Oh and 7 Wonders Duel is super fun. Got to play at BGG.CON a few times and have been wanting to play more, but haven't had the chance.

• This arrived today. Jeremy told me about gameplay. Kinda excited.