This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

YouTube Rentals?

edited April 2010 in Technology
Hoo boy.

So, this reeks of bad idea to me, but there might be some interesting consequences.

Comments

• I couldn't ever imagine paying for Flash video. It's just been to painful recently. YouTube doesn't load the video half the time. Don't even get me started on how horrible high-definition Flash video is.
  • This reeks of awful. But at least it isn't as awful as DIVX was. I can't help but think of it everytime I see those redbox machines in college campuses or supermarkets.
  • edited April 2010
    This isn't going to affect people like you and me. I predict that the only people who will end up using this in the long run will be the "YouTube Celebrities" and vloggers who will create exclusive content for people who want to give them money.

As long as you don't think Lisa Nova is funny, then you're probably ok.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Does this mean I can buy a movie then rip it and then upload it onto YouTube and make my money back? I know that probably wont happen but a good idea.
  • This is going to fail. No one in their right mind is going to pay for youtube videos. I agree with Sail in that celebs will use it to try and get people to pay for their videos. It's the whole "internet dollar" thing. People view it for free now, so obviously they are willing to pay for it!
  • One interesting thought: What if the site offering this wasn't youtube or another well-known streaming video service? If a start up with no established culture (and a promise of better service to users) offered it, would we be reacting differently?
  • Does this mean I can buy a movie then rip it and then upload it onto YouTube and make my money back?
    Read the page again. They have to manually verify everything that's submitted.
  • If a start up with no established culture (and a promise of better service to users) offered it, would we be reacting differently?
    No, people wouldn't even acknowledge that someone would be stupid enough to try to pull it off.
  • Does this mean I can buy a movie then rip it and then upload it onto YouTube and make my money back?I know that probably wont happen but a good idea.
    Does this mean I can buy a movie then rip it and then upload it onto YouTube and make my money back?
    Read the page again. They have to manually verify everything that's submitted.
    You didn't get my entire post but I already had a feeling that they would do something like that.
  • Didn't crunchy roll pull it off?
  • Didn't crunchy roll pull it off?
    I wonder how many people pay, versus how many just watch what's free.
  • edited April 2010
    Didn't crunchy roll pull it off?
    Well, youtube already provides the hosting, set-up, etc. for free with minimal effort, so a dollar is a profit. If people want to wait for later, then you don't really lose the sale as that person wouldn't have paid either way, but it gives you the chance to cater to the people that don't mind paying but didn't have the means to pay you.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited April 2010
    I have three friends who pay for the anime package on CrunchyRoll, but again CrunchyRoll serves a niche market, while Youtube is very broad in its appeal.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on