This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

Comments

• I'm going to read Heart of Darkness soon.
  • For those interested I am having a book club on Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Feel free to join in and listen or participate.
  • For those interested I am having abook clubon Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Feel free to join in and listen or participate.
    Aaaaaaaaugh, barf. That book gave me massive heebie-jeebies. Rarely has a tale so unpleasant been told so skillfully and... evocatively. It's terribly well-done but I don't know if that's a good thing.
  • I'm going to read Heart of Darkness soon.
    "The Horror! the horror!" ... I highly recommend this book, man. English was Conrad's 4th language or something, and I can hardly decipher some of the passages they're so brutally cryptic. Past that, It certainly contains a deepening understanding of the human psyche. Would love to hear your reactions, as this is one of my favorite books.

As of now, I'm reading another terribly cryptic book, Naked Lunch by Burroughs in its 50th anniversary reprint. I'm not sure I get it. Anyone else out there read it or understand it? It's like wading in randomness is how I feel, although I'm sure I'll make some kind of sense out of it by the end. Also reading Steve Hely's How I became a Famous Novelist - more contemporary. Just won the Thurber prize for humor.
  • edited October 2010
    As of now, I'm reading another terribly cryptic book,Naked Lunchby Burroughs in its 50th anniversary reprint. I'm not sure I get it.
    Most will not. It is probably not meant to be grasped. What it really is, is a heavily fictionalized account of the descent into darkness that comes with opiate usage. Also, it's historically important as a study in obscenity. A fascinating and fantastic book, but there is only a "plot" in the loosest sense of the word.
    Anyone else out there read it or understand it? It's like wading in randomness is how I feel, although I'm sure I'll make some kind of sense out of it by the end.
    Not likely. You will, however, probably feet more than a bit dirty.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've started A Canticle for Liebowitz, the classic post-apocalyptic saga of Roman Catholic Space Monks.
  • I'm reading Mogworld, by the infamous Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.
  • I've started A Canticle for Liebowitz, the classic post-apocalyptic saga of Roman Catholic Space Monks.
    I keep meaning to pick that up. Have you heard of Riddley Walker? It's similar, but English, and like much English sci-fi (what what John Christopher), somewhat less known these days. The jazz-metal band Clutch wrote a song about it that is kinda funky and awesome.
  • Also "Space monks" really makes me think of Anathem. Anybody get through that? I did, and... fuuuuuuuck. Shit was esoteric, and then it got weird, and then it got kinda... silly. It was a weird progression. First there were self-sufficient science-monks, and then they were doing magic, and then all of a sudden there were reality-travelling nuke-ships and monk astronaut suits. It all made a certain sort of crazy sense, but damn there were a lot of made-up words.

Neal Stephenson is a strange cookie. Brilliant, but seriously strange.
  • Also "Space monks" really makes me think ofAnathem. Anybody get through that? I did, and... fuuuuuuuck. Shit was esoteric, and then it got weird, and then it got kinda... silly. It was a weird progression. First there were self-sufficient science-monks, and then they were doing magic, and then all of a sudden there were reality-travelling nuke-ships and monk astronaut suits. It all made a certain sort of crazy sense, butdamnthere were a lot of made-up words.

Neal Stephenson is a strange cookie. Brilliant, but seriously strange.
    That is one of my favorite books. :P
  • I just finished The Final Solution and The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, both by Micheal Chabon. One is a Sherlock Holmes homage set in WWII Britain, one is a novel about a college graduate during the summer after school ends, trying to work out his relationships with his friends, his lovers, and his mobster father. Both are very well written. I love Chabon.
    Next on to True Deceiver by Tove Jansson, author of the Moomin books.
  • I'm reading Spice and Wolf, Volume II. Hee. :B It's a light novel, so what can I say - but it can hold my attention even through all the talk of markets and money changing, so it's a good light novel.

I plan to move onto more challenging books after this one. Autumn always makes me wanna do something spice n' wolfy.
  • It's a light novel, so what can I say
    It's not a sports page, or a magazine.
  • Hey folks quick book club plug, on the 12th of November we are reading a free downloadable book East Coast Tribe. Feel free to RSVP if you are interested.
    The moral: Read a book! Read a motherfucking book!!
  • edited October 2010
    Reading and thoroughly enjoying Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies by Michael Adams. Basically an account of a year he spent watching bad movies every day to determine what really is the worst movie ever released in the English language (and not in the "so bad it's good" way; just "so bad it's bad"). The log of movies watched is accompanied by stories from what was going on in his real life at the time, and both working together are making for a surprisingly fun read. It helps that I'm reading this while also watching my daily Cinemassacre, too; a bunch of the movies that have come up in the book have also appeared in Monster Madness this year, so I can put visuals to titles for a lot more of these than I expected.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Just purchased Super Freakonomics. Will read it now.
  • Finished reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I am next moving on to The Marvelous Land of Oz. I intend on at least reading all of the Oz books written by L. Frank Baum. I'll have to see how I feel about all the other ones he wrote before moving on to more of the "Famous Forty".
  • edited October 2010
    I am literally in the middle of reading eight books, and am too busy to read most of them as often as I would like. Two of them I discussed in this thread earlier (Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow and Rurouni Kenshin). The others are Hetalia vol 1, The Colonial Experience by Daniel J. Boorstin, and Here is Greenwood vol. 3. Lately for my thesis research I've been reading Megg's History of Graphic Design, Graphic Design Referenced, and Johannes Itten's The Art of Color.
    Finished readingThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I am next moving on toThe Marvelous Land of Oz. I intend on at least reading all of the Oz books written by L. Frank Baum. I'll have to see how I feel about all the other ones he wrote before moving on to more of the "Famous Forty".
    I loved reading that when I was in middle school. I found it far better than the movie. As soon as I'm done with all that backlog, I really should read that again.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
    The moral: Read a book! Read a motherfucking book!!
    This week's book on Samuel L Motherfuckin' Jackson's reading Motherfuckin' rainbow is The fuckin' Illiad. Y'all better not bitch out on me now. Next up, Our special motherfuckin' guest, Easy Motherfuckin' E, Will tell you all about his favorite work, Childe Roland to the dark tower came, By Robert Browning. It's some deep shit!
  • This week's book on Samuel L Motherfuckin' Jackson's reading Motherfuckin' rainbow is The fuckin' Illiad. Y'all better not bitch out on me now. Next up, Our special motherfuckin' guest, Easy Motherfuckin' E, Will tell you all about his favorite work, Childe Roland to the dark tower came, By Robert Browning. It's some deep shit!
    I love you Churba.
  • This week's book on Samuel L Motherfuckin' Jackson's reading Motherfuckin' rainbow is The fuckin' Illiad. Y'all better not bitch out on me now. Next up, Our special motherfuckin' guest, Easy Motherfuckin' E, Will tell you all about his favorite work, Childe Roland to the dark tower came, By Robert Browning. It's some deep shit!
    I love you Churba.
    Seconded. It's amazing that I can actually hear Sam Jackson's voice as I was reading it.
  • edited October 2010
    This week's book on Samuel L Motherfuckin' Jackson's reading Motherfuckin' rainbow is The fuckin' Illiad. Y'all better not bitch out on me now. Next up, Our special motherfuckin' guest, Easy Motherfuckin' E, Will tell you all about his favorite work, Childe Roland to the dark tower came, By Robert Browning. It's some deep shit!
    I love you Churba.
    Seconded. It's amazing that I can actually hear Sam Jackson's voice as I was reading it.
    Excuse me? That's Samuel L. Jackson, Motherfucker.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm reading Stanislaw Lem's Solaris. This book is as important to science fiction as 2001, or A Scanner Darkly. Are you a fan of science fiction? You owe it to yourself to read this fucking book. It is amazing.
  • Almost finished East Coast Tribes, thinking on hitting my backlog of graphic novels just not sure which one to get first.
  • I'm reading Stanislaw Lem'sSolaris. This book is as important to science fiction as2001, orA Scanner Darkly. Are you a fan of science fiction? You owe it to yourself to read this fucking book. It is amazing.
    I'll be picking this up today, sir. Thanks.

I also just finished the Steve Hely (How I became a Famous Novelist) and I have to admit it's an out and out good book. I thought perhaps the whole thing would be satirical and absurd, but it takes some extremely realistic turns--which makes better satire. Sometimes the truth is more absurd than the stretcher, and that's why this novel is so successful. It's also a good hook and lesson on the state of publishing and arts and entertainment. That's my field, and as ridiculous as Pete Tarslaw's Tornado Ashes Club is, I know first-hand that this is the kind of bosh certain publishers (you know who you are) would push because it's "Lyrical" and "Compelling". Of course, Steve Hely's book is about much more than a fumbling writer's fumbling novel.

Also discovered that Hely is a writer for American Dad.. not too shabby. His previous book was about himself and a friend racing around the world, not sure I'll pick it up now, but definitely slated for a future read.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    I've finished 4 Oz novels since I last wrote about finishing the first one, and I don't really have much to say about them. Intermittently, I've been on a Stephen King kick lately. I've read Carrie, Pet Sematary, The Shining, and Different Seasons so far. I think I've embarked on the one novel he has written that has actually given me nightmares and causes me to wake up screaming...Misery. AAAAAHHHHH!!!! I've never been this scared of a novel before and I cannot believe that King had the courage to make something that is both as horrifying and amazing as this. I can't even sleep with the light off because of this one.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'm reading the Divine Comedy again because I read the Inferno for school and really liked the premise and the execution, so I wanna see if t carries through all right. I also have I, Robot that I'm reading. I really like the style. It has a lot of voice, and I really enjoy that in any story.
    Also readig Like Water For Chocolate for school. It's pretty interesting, but I'm a sucker for magical realism, so what can I say.

Side note: these are all beig read on Stanza for the iPod Touch.
  • I completed Towers of Midnight, the thirteenth book of the Wheel of Time. Now back to the Adventure Burner.
  • World War Z. Ugh...