This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Software for cataloging books.

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
Hey all! does anyone know of any good open-source software for cataloging books? The San Jose State Shrunkenheadman Club has had a whole room full of books donated to us and I might potentially be in charge of turning it into a lending library. I have googled for the software, but I was wondering if anyone on the forums has experience using such a program, or has one they could recommend.

Thanks!

Comments

• I have googled for the software, but I was wondering if anyone on the forums has experience using such a program, or has one they could recommend.
    Try this.
    Would that be a recursive recommendation there, Scott?
  • edited April 2010
    Would that be a recursive recommendation there, Scott?
    No, this would. And it would only really be recursive if you kept using that site as a continuous input.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No,this would. And it would only really be recursive if you kept using that site as a continuous input.
    Good point - I guess Scott's post ("Google it") would be a redundant recommendation to the OP ("I Googled it and I'm looking for more suggestions") rather than recursive. Been a long day here at work and I'm more than a bit ready to go home and enjoy the few hours of post-work sunny weather I'll have available, so my mind isn't on my top game.
  • What would be even more recursive is if we could post a link to LMGTFY and have this very thread be the top Google result.

Also, I want to take this opportunity to point out a common Internet problem. Let's say you are a nerd who likes gardening. You join a gardening forum on the web. A gardening community forms, how awesome. You aren't really a geek about anything else, so you don't join any other forums. However, you are still a human being. You still have problems and questions with things other than gardening. Maybe you have a question about technology, or home renovations. People tend to just ask these questions in the communities that they happen to be in, rather than appropriate forums which they are strangers to.

Is this really the best place to ask a question about library software? I mean, there are open sourcy tech people here, but it's not a very major focus. I'm sure there are library science people here too, but not many. You would be far better off finding a library science community. I'm 100% positive that one must exist.

Of course, we are never going to delete a post for being off topic, because we don't even have or care about topics. Still, if you have a question of this nature, it is in your best interest to ask in a forum where there are more experts in the particular field your question involves. You wouldn't ask a bunch of farmers how to fix your car.
  • Did you miss the part where he said he had googled for software already Scott?
  • Also, I want to take this opportunity to point out a common Internet problem. Let's say you are a nerd who likes gardening. You join a gardening forum on the web. A gardening community forms, how awesome. You aren't really a geek about anything else, so you don't join any other forums. However, you are still a human being. You still have problems and questions with things other than gardening. Maybe you have a question about technology, or home renovations. People tend to just ask these questions in the communities that they happen to be in, rather than appropriate forums which they are strangers to.

Is this really the best place to ask a question about library software? I mean, there are open sourcy tech people here, but it's not a very major focus. I'm sure there are library science people here too, but not many. You would be far better off finding a library science community. I'm 100% positive that one must exist.

Of course, we are never going to delete a post for being off topic, because we don't even have or care about topics. Still, if you have a question of this nature, it is in your best interest to ask in a forum where there are more experts in the particular field your question involves. You wouldn't ask a bunch of farmers how to fix your car.
    You mean something like...this?
  • For closed source pretentious solutions, try Delicious Library. It's a beautiful, useful piece of software. Unfortunately, it's Mac-only and closed-source.
  • I'm going to use GCstar to manage my personal catalog.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for that helpful reply, WindUpBird. I chose this forum to ask this question because the general level of discourse here is more elevated than elsewhere. I figured that someone here might want to show off their esoteric knowledge on the subject. In addition, I have spoken to one of the faculty members at the library sciences department of my college, and they were thoroughly unhelpful. Would it be more on topic If I mentioned there were cool art books and comics in the collection?

fix my car, farmers.
    Post edited by wodenpwn on
  • Libra
    Trust me, use that. You'll never look back.
  • Libra
    I'll second that - for what you're looking for, Libra is the business.
  • Libra
    Goddamn, THAT was the one I was looking for. I knew there was an awesome open-source thing out there.
  • There also is Calibre.
  • Libra
    Goddamn, THAT was the one I was looking for. I knew there was an awesome open-source thing out there.
    Well, savor it, because the dev team no longer exists.
  • Libra
    Well, savor it, because the dev team no longer exists.
    Not to mention that it kicks up a banner ad when you run it and doesn't have the Amazon lookup capability anymore.

You'd probably be better served by checking out the Collectorz.com book collector software. $50 will get you software with the same functionality that is actively being developed and supported.