This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100422 - Living in The City

edited April 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss what it's like to live in the city. In the news, new Ubuntu is coming soon, and South Park gets censored. Here are some South Park torrents.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    You've mentioned South Park quickly before. I think it was in the episode where you also briefly mentioned the nightvision goggles in the mw2 prestige edition. You said, "fuuuuuuck yooooou ... dolhpin and whale."
    Post edited by Pegu on

• I thought this was going to be the opener for this episode. Wishful thinking, that would have been awesome.
  • So by the new logic presented my comedy central, all I need to to is create a blog and make ominous statements about how I am an angry Muslim and don't like a show, and they'll censor or pull it? Will this work for other networks? Because there are some shows on Fox I'd like to see censored and pulled...
  • So by the new logic presented my comedy central, all I need to to is create a blog and make ominous statements about how I am an angry Muslim and don't like a show, and they'll censor or pull it? Will this work for other networks? Because there are some shows on Fox I'd like to see censored and pulled...
    Yeah, don't Fox News commentators say disparaging things about Islam with relative frequency? And yet those shows stay on the air, while South Park gets censored for...being South Park?

"Liberal" media my ass.
    Yeah, don't Fox News commentators say disparaging things about Islam with relative frequency? And yet those shows stay on the air, while South Park gets censored for...being South Park?

"Liberal" media my ass.
    While I don't agree with it, they probably are scared of having a repeat of the riots in Holland or wherever it was where the comic strip was printed a few years back that caused insanity.
  • While I don't agree with it, they probably are scared of having a repeat of the riots in Holland or wherever it was where the comic strip was printed a few years back that caused insanity.
    I actually think it's a good thing if this happened. I mean, you don't want innocents hurt in the riots. But, practically speaking, you have dangerous crazy people out there. Right now they are hidden. If you instigate and/or provoke them, you can draw them out and then deal with them.
  • What, provoke a crazy dangerous person to do a crazy dangerous thing in order to prevent a later crazy dangerous thing?
    You do have a point, but your idea is a good one if and only if we can provoke them in a controlled manner, i.e. make them think they're doing a crazy dangerous thing when in fact they aren't.
  • I actually think it's a good thing if this happened. I mean, you don't want innocents hurt in the riots. But, practically speaking, you have dangerous crazy people out there. Right now they are hidden. If you instigate and/or provoke them, you can draw them out and then deal with them.
    *cough* 9/11 *cough* Oklahoma bombing *cough* yea that was a great way to get the crazies to come out..............NOT
  • Right now they are hidden. If you instigate and/or provoke them, you can draw them out and then deal with them.
    Obama could do the same in the US. Just give a speech declaring support for gay marriage, repeal of federal marijuana laws, further progress toward universal health care, and a guaranteed-universal-employment program. Be sure to use the phrase "new world order" at least six times off-handedly.

Within a week, we'd have a list of every nutjob in the nation.
  • Within a week, we'd have a list of every nutjob in the nation.
    Cause they're sooooo hard to find right now.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually the guys who are out in the street protesting, are generally "not" the issue, it's lone crazies that are WAY more dangerous. Groups of extremists have a really hard time keeping their mouth shut and it almost always leaks. It's the crazy loner types that are freaking dangerous.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Actually the guys who are out in the street protesting, are generally the the issue, it's lone crazies that are WAY more dangerous. Groups of extremists have a really hard time keeping their mouth shut and it almost always leaks. It's the crazy loner types that are freaking dangerous.
    The crazy loners are going to crazy it up no matter what. There's not much you can do other than actively investigate to find them beforehand, or catch them when they emerge.
  • There's not much you can do other than actively investigate to find them beforehand, or catch them when they emerge.
    Or stir them to early and rushed action. If they brood too long, their little terror plot will be very well planned. If you give them the "ohshit the guvment's coming, gotta do this now!" feeling, they'll probably be much easier to stop.
  • Have you played the Dwarf Fortress expansion: Dwarf on Golf?
  • edited April 2010
    I really enjoyed this episode, but then I think I might have been one of the listeners who asked for it. I know I wanted to hear more about Rym's sudden move from the "I'm buying a house in Beacon" to the "I've got a great apartment in the city" positions.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited April 2010
    [livin in the city video]

I thought this was going to be the opener for this episode. Wishful thinking, that would have been awesome.
    I keep my Sonic R (for PC) disc in the car to listen to as I'm driving.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • [livin in the city video]

I thought this was going to be the opener for this episode. Wishful thinking, that would have been awesome.
    I keep my Sonic R (for PC) disc in the car to listen to as I'm driving.
    I have been known to prance around my house while singing to the soundtrack, but you never heard that from me. X3
  • I can't imagine living anywhere but the best city in the world.
    But you live in New York, not Boston.
  • His imagination is clearly pretty limited.
  • I think I prefer my hybrid city/suburbs life. I live a 15 minute walk from work, so commuting is not a significant portion of my life. The Metro station is 15 minutes away and gives me access to all of DC. But I still have a car, I can still go on long trips. If I want to visit my brother in Gettysburg, I can. Visit my friends in Yardley, PA or Plainsboro, NJ, I can. If I want to go to a race track and race, I can.
  • Fucking tourists, get the fuck out of my way!
  • I work in DC and while I do not live there, I know exactly the problems with tourists. Especially being that I work in a federal government building and the subway train I take to and from work passes by the Smithsonian station. People will take pictures of all kinds of things that I pass by every day and block the foot traffic. They'll take their time trying to order something at a fast food place since they hadn't been there before, and hold up the regular workers who know exactly what they want. Though one of the things that really irks me, when people hand out conspiracy theorist pamphlets and booklets outside of the metro stations. A few weeks ago I remember someone was handing out pamphlets about the "evils of obamacare". Complete with a cover of Obama with Hitler moustache. Interesting thing, a good number of the people going into this metro station would either be federal government employees or sub contractors like myself.
  • You cannot really complain about tourists through when you live in a tourist city/town, it's not like you didn't know what you were getting into when you decided to move there. It's like people who move to houses near sports stadiums and then complain about the traffic on match days, unless you have been living there before the town became a tourist attraction of course.
  • Those tourists provide a lot of the money (through tax revenue) that goes into making your cities such good places to live. They are an integral part of the economy, and to take them away would mean a fundamental change in the way your city operates. It's not like you can't predict that there will be tourists in a place where there are many destinations that cater specifically to tourists. Bitching about it just makes you sound whiny.
  • Bitching about it just makes you sound whiny.
    When I complain about a "tourist," it really has nothing to do with them being a visitor or not. My real complaint is with people who don't understand how to:
    1. Let people off of an elevator before forcing your way on
    2. Stand to the right to let people pass on an escalator or moving walkway
    3. Not stop suddenly in the middle of a busy sidewalk
    4. Move quickly and with purpose or stand aside
    5. Not be drunk (and vocal about it) on the train at 7:00am

It's not tourists per se, it's slow mouthbreathers in general. Tourists make up a large percentage of them, but some native New Yorkers are just as guilty of these things. There are most certainly tourists who aren't jackasses. You won't see me or Scott blocking escalators or sidewalks in Boston or Seattle.

The solution is probably ball-level stun batons that move at a walking pace down the streets.

The elevator thing is really starting to bother me a conventions. I realized that people from non-urban places by and large have no understanding of how to use a crowded elevator. They seem to just think they should shove past the people trying to exit, and probably aren't used to the fact that anyone other than them will use an elevator at a given time. At best, they stand, blocking the door and slack-jawed, unsure of how to proceed, until I shove them out of the way myself.

The escalator thing amazed me on two levels. Unless I'm injured, feeble, or burdened, the idea of standing on the escalator and waiting for it to take me up is laughable. But, so long as the people who do it stand to the right, it's no concern. (Barring the TWO times I've missed a train due to a fat lady who literally filled the escalator's width with her mass, precluding all possibility of passing). Every morning, when I take the escalator up from the 7 train, people form a surprising long queue to literally wait for the escalator to become available so that they can stand on it, rather than walk. It's amazing.
  • 5. Not be drunk (and vocal about it) on the train at 7:00am
    Like me, drunk on the train saturday night, but not bothering anyone with my drunkenness.
    I think this a lot since I live in the city, but then I AM the tourist when I visit other cities. So I just help them when I can, like at the metrocard machines. Really, just to hurry it along.
  • edited April 2010
    The more Scrym talk about this, the more it sounds like my home city, but with a slightly crappier climate , more traffic, and of course Brisbane never stinks of New Jersy or piss, though I might be repeating myself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • like at the metrocard machines
    What is the deal with the metro card machines, it's not that complicated!