This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Laptop Maybe...

12346»

Comments

• No, fuck 'em. The company can't be trusted: full stop.
  • okeefe said:
    The true reason behind the lack of 32gb or ddr4 is intel. Skylake does not support LPDDR4 (LP for low power) ram. Kabylake is set to include support, but only for the U category of chips. So no LPDDR4 support for mobile until 2018 I think.
    (Source, via daringfireball.)
  • Pegu said:

Apreche said:

Pegu said:

I've been looking at the lenovo thinkpad p50. 4 RAM slots in a laptop makes me drool given the soldered 4GB RAM I have on my junky old s230u. With upgrades the p50 should last me many many years.

No Lenovo. Remember when they shipped malware pre-installed? They can never be trusted again, even if they make the best device you have ever seen.
    ZDNet said:
    It doesn't matter. Do you remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

They put a rootkit on audio CDs. Based on that one incident, how can I ever trust anything from the entire SONY company ever again? As an organization they were willing to do this.

Same thing with Lenovo. Yeah, we only ever found malwares on that one time on those few models. Doesn't matter. As a company they were willing to pre-install malware. Therefore you can never trust them again unless they go through some complete corporate overhaul and become effectively a new company with a new direction.
  • edited November 2016
    okeefe said:

okeefe said:
    The true reason behind the lack of 32gb or ddr4 is intel. Skylake does not support LPDDR4 (LP for low power) ram. Kabylake is set to include support, but only for the U category of chips. So no LPDDR4 support for mobile until 2018 I think.
    (Source, via daringfireball.)

1) Who gives a shit. How much battery life are you losing with 32GB of regular non-low power RAM? Probably still have the best battery life of any laptop.

2) If Intel is holding you back, Apple, you've had years to do something about that. You make chips. How about that A10? Ship an ARM Macbook.

3) Ok ok. You want to say that because it's a laptop, and not some gigantic ridiculous 5 minute battery life gaming laptop, it can't be that powerful. Sure. That would be acceptable if I could get an iMac with a 1080, an i7 and 32GB of RAM, but you can't do that either. You haven't even updated the black trash can since it was announced.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

2) If Intel is holding you back, Apple, you've had years to do something about that. You make chips. How about that A10? Ship an ARM Macbook.

*Spits out tea* Are you mad? That would mean every piece of software any apple user is going to need suddenly needs to have an ARM version. The Microsoft Office suite, Creative Cloud, DaVinci Resolve, Protools... Yeah, not gonna happen. They made their x86 bed a LONG time ago.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Apreche said:

*Spits out tea* Are you mad? That would mean every piece of software any apple user is going to need suddenly needs to have an ARM version. The Microsoft Office suite, Creative Cloud, DaVinci Resolve, Protools... Yeah, not gonna happen. They made their x86 bed a LONG time ago.
    Ten years is a long time in tech but not that actually that long ago—just before the iPhone took off. Also, compilers exist, and there's a lot of code targeting non-x86 chips such as phones and tablets. It seems more plausible than not. If anyone would abandon x86, it would be Apple.
  • Apreche said:

People said the same thing when they abandoned PowerPC for x86.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

It was a lot more plausible then because everyone already had an x86 codebase.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

It was a lot more plausible then because everyone already had an x86 codebase.
    Nobody is writing assembly code these days. It wont take much to recompile for ARM. Also, do you have any idea how much ARM code is already out there? It might be beating x86 at this point.
  • As I've done more research on the new MacBooks Pro, I've realized that about 99% of it comes from people who expect everyone to be updating their laptops every two years or so.

As someone who has had my laptop for 6.5 years and only used the USB ports for the last 5 years, I'm really happy that they are removing all the other ports! I need an adaptor for the the micro-SD card anyway, so it's not as if including a normal SD card reader will be particularly more useful.

So I'm buying a single USB C to A dongle, and that's it. In a few years time, all the peripherals will be over to USB C, and so for the following two or three years of laptop use I'll be glad I don't have legacy ports that do nothing but make my laptop thicker and heavier.

I read a post saying "have one USB A on this laptop, then release another one in two years time with only USB C" as if me buying a new laptop then will ever happen. Fuck no! Give me the most futuristic machine possible right now. Don't stick me with a port as "useful" as FireWire has been to me for the last seven years.

* More RAM would have been nice.
  • Has there been a noticeable decline in Mac support since the iPhone became Apple's money maker?
  • edited November 2016

As someone who has had my laptop for 6.5 years and only used the USB ports for the last 5 years, I'm really happy that they are removing all the other ports! I need an adaptor for the the micro-SD card anyway, so it's not as if including a normal SD card reader will be particularly more useful.

SD slot is good for micro SD.

I keep all of my micro SDs in those SD adapter when they aren't in use. Also, it lets me use them in devices that only take SD.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yes, I have one. Even so, the SD card reader on my current laptop broke about 6 months ago, so I've been using a USB adapter anyway. It's been a handy holder for the micro SD card thingy you pictured too! It was always the smallest most annoying thing in my travel backpack, but now it's way easier to keep track of.
  • A few months ago I bought this thingy.

http://amzn.to/2e2VG2Q

Your first reaction might be the same as mine. WTF $24 for SD reader?" But in reality, it's so good. The speed compared to any other reader I tried, is insane. Import Lightroom like whoooosh.
  • edited November 2016
    SWATrous said:

The main reason my Macbook is dumped on a pile of papes under my desk is because it just runs slow as dogshit compared to my other machines rocking SSD and 4x the RAM and much better graphics cards. Plus it just runs slower than it used to, and the battery is shite.

I could probably drop a few hundred and get it running good as it used to but I still have better machines.

Plus the one downside is the aluminum cases do still get beat up, and when they do its leaving dents and sharp edges. Mine probably needs a file to deburr a few corners.

It's funny because I have the exact same model as you (for the exact same amount of time), and I still use mine. Difference is, I clean installed the new OS, upgraded to Samsung EVO SSD and max RAM for a paltry sum. I've been meaning to upgrade the battery with a new one from Anker (more mAh). I use it mainly as a stationary computer though, since my Surface is lighter and smaller. However, it is more reliable than "5% battery, plugged in and not charging" Windows (a bug that requires uninstalling & reinstalling drivers, and several reboots as a temporary fix).
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • You know thats a good point, I bet an SSD with a fresh OS would be a huge boost. With that and a fresh battery it'd be pretty decent for some stuff.
  • I'm suddenly in need of a new laptop, and have objections of principle to buying a MacBook. Is it worth even looking for anything other than a Surface Book?
    Budget's not an issue.
  • I'm suddenly in need of a new laptop, and have objections of principle to buying a MacBook. Is it worth even looking for anything other than a Surface Book?
    Budget's not an issue.

Yeah, there's a few surface-alike laptops with comparable(in some cases, nearly identical, in some cases, slightly better at some things) specs that are worth looking at.
  • Churba said:

I'm suddenly in need of a new laptop, and have objections of principle to buying a MacBook. Is it worth even looking for anything other than a Surface Book?
    Budget's not an issue.

Yeah, there's a few surface-alike laptops with comparable(in some cases, nearly identical, in some cases, slightly better at some things) specs that are worth looking at.
    No there isn't anything that can compete with the Surface Book at the moment. Unless you absolutely need USB-C ports.
    Budget's not an issue.

Want a desktop replacement?
    Budget's not an issue.

Have a desktop that's not in need of replacement.
  • edited December 2016
    Nah, I mean, are you looking for a laptop with a metric shit ton of processing power? Like, "I'm a laptop and I'm so beefy that I need TWO power bricks at once", kind of power?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    Budget's not an issue.

Have a desktop that's not in need of replacement.
    If you want super portable then go something else like a Dell XPS 13 (this is what I've been using for the last 3 years and the 2+ models that have come out after mine have continued to improve).

I thought you wanted something that was super desktop replacement when you referred to Surface Book and Macbook Pro.
  • New Laptop Yes...

This thing is pretty incredible, but than any modern laptop would be when upgrading from a early 2010 computer.