This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Libsyn Migration

edited May 2010 in GeekNights
Libsyn says that they are migrating us to their new system. They promised our files would still be available. If you have any problems, let me know so I can fix it and such.

Comments

• Looks like Libsyn is being dicks. Of course their shit isn't working very well. Also, it seems like they might be trying to put ads into our shows. If they don't fix it fucking quick, we are dropping them so fast. Stay tuned.
  • Does anyone know a viable libsyn alternative? I calculated that using Amazon S3 will cost us about $200 per month. That's just too much. Also, every CDN (content delivery network) that I've found charges way too much money for way too little storage and/or bandwidth.
  • I have no idea if this is what you're looking for, but this is what I found with some random googling:

box.net Cyberears

I'm not sure what the podcast's bandwidth/storage numbers are, but couldn't you use a webhosting place like Bluehost?
  • We need to be able to handle about 1.5 million megabytes of transfer to listeners every month, but that assumes nothing happens to give us a a popularity spike, in which case we need much more. We need to be able to upload maybe half a gigabyte of new shows each month. We need basically infinite storage because we have to put every existing episode up there, and keep adding new ones forever.
  • If anyone out there ever hears an ad in our show, even if it's just "hosted by libsyn" let us know ASAP. Tell us which episode, when you downloaded it, and how you downloaded it.
  • If anyone out there ever hears an ad in our show, even if it's just "hosted by libsyn" let us know ASAP. Tell us which episode, when you downloaded it, and how you downloaded it.
    I shall begin a geeknights listening marathon then. If anyone wants to join in, we can break up load a bit.
  • I use Dreamhost.com. Because I've been with them for five or six years they increase my storage and bandwidth all the time. This current billing period (a month) it is estimated I'll need 126gb. That's much less than you need, but it does say: "Total Bandwidth Provided: unlimited GB" As for bandwidth, I only use about 10gb, but again it says "unlimited." I'm not sure what the deal is for new customers, and I don't know if the unlimitedness is as real as advertised, but I've yet to have a problem. I pay about 120 a year, plus domain name renewal fees.
  • What about using archive.org to host files?
  • What about using archive.org to host files?
    People keep suggesting this idea. Certainly there must be some sort of catch. They aren't just going to host our stuff forever for free.
  • edited May 2010
    They aren't just going to host our stuff forever for free.
    They're currently storing 2 petabytes of data. They're adding 20 TB per month. That's just for the Wayback Machine. You are insignificant in comparison.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The Internet Archive is always one of those "Woah" things for me. I just find it amazing that it exists.
  • I heard a while ago that someone had made an archive of the early internet (Something called gopher.) as best they could and it came out to 40GB, which they were thinking of making available as a torrent.
  • I heard a while ago that someone had made an archive of the early internet (Something called gopher.)
    I forget the exact details but the archive that guy was posting was a scrape of all of Gopher-space that was remaining circa June 2007. Most Gopher archives had disappeared by then, so unfortunately it's not a full archive of everything that was ever available via Gopher. Given that most files stored in Gopher-space were text docs, I doubt the full archive would have been more than double what he was able to save. *grin* That initiative brought back memories for me as I used to actually use Veronica/Jughead and Archie to search for files on Gopher and FTP sites (respectively) back in the day. I should hunt down that torrent.