This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Daily Plate (Internet calorie counting/exercise logs)

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
So I've been using this site called DailyPlate.com (my user name is Cremlian) It has a free section and a paid section (I just use the free side) which has a great system for keeping track of your meals and exercise as well as setting goals for how much you want to lose a week based on your intake of calories. The part that is really great, is you can add friends and see what they are eating as well... (which has lead to some creepy conversations the next day, "So how was your veggie Lasagna last night?") Anyhow, anyone else log what they eat and keep track of exercise they do? If so do you use a site or a program and how is it working?

Also another advantage to this site is it's database of foods is pretty good giving you an easier time finding the right figures for the food you eat.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Anyhow, anyone else log what they eat and keep track of exercise they do?
    The maintenance of a food-intake log is the first step towards Nazism. Hitler kept a food log.

I get most of my exercise escaping from predators. It's kinda hard to keep track of how many miles I run when I'm trying to "serpentine".
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • anyone else log what they eat and keep track of exercise they do?
    I could track my daily exercise.
    • Mon: nothing.
    • Tue: nothing.
    • Wed: nothing.
    • Thu: nothing.
    • Fri: nothing.
    • Sat: nothing.
    • Sun: nothing.
  • I could track my daily exercise.

* Mon: bike 10 miles
    * Tue: bike 10 miles
    * Wed: bike 10 miles
    * Thu: bike 10 miles
    * Fri: bike 10 miles
    * Sat: maybe bike, maybe nothing.
    * Sun: maybe bike, maybe nothing.
  • My exercise log would be a little more complex than the previous ones.

Mon: Shoulders bi/triceps (circuit training, three circuits three times each, so approx 90 reps per muscle group) then the P90x ab workout.
    Tue: Jogging and Systema style workout focusing on tendon strength, flexibility and endurance.
    Wed: Chest and back (circuit training, same type of setup as the other one) then the ab workout.
    Thu: Jogging/Systema workout.
    Fri: Shoulder bi/tricep workout again, ab workout.
    Sat: Jogging/Systema.
    Sun: Chest and back, abs.

It pretty much just follows the first four days in a cycle. Yay for preparing for the forces, I've been doing this for about a year now.
  • Yay for preparing for the forces, I've been doing this for about a year now.
    Random things to include - jogging long distance with a heavy pack, and the Front leaning rest - Y'know, the bit at the start of a pushup, where you have your arms extended. Also, make sure you work on your agility, being a meathead with lots of endurance doesn't get you anywhere, when you can't get your big ass over a chest high wall.

I don't really have a schedule, but I walk and run, from time to time, practice parkour as best I can around here, work on martial arts from time to time. Nothing to serious, but I keep fit enough.
  • * Mon: bike 10 miles
    * Tue: bike 10 miles
    * Wed: bike 10 miles
    * Thu: bike 10 miles
    * Fri: bike 10 miles
    * Sat: maybe bike, maybe nothing.
    * Sun: maybe bike, maybe nothing.
    You forgot adding Masturbation.
  • Random things to include - jogging long distance with a heavy pack, and the Front leaning rest - Y'know, the bit at the start of a pushup, where you have your arms extended. Also, make sure you work on your agility, being a meathead with lots of endurance doesn't get you anywhere, when you can't get your big ass over a chest high wall.
    Yeah, I totally agree. I haven't been doing the heavy pack thing too much, but the Systema workouts are all about the slow pushups and maintaining the difficult postures of a pushup/situp/squat until you are ready to pass out. I have quite a bit of agility as well, rather than the big meathead I'm much more of the compact model. Doing parkour when I get a chance helps a lot too. I can still climb over things better than the average person, although not as well as some of the best local parkour guys, mind you they have all kinds of climbing/gymnastics/circus school training that I do not.
  • I've been using Fatsecret.com...mostly because the Android Client come up first on my search for calorie counter programs. I've been pretty happy with Android App and the website. Most importantly, I've actually lost over 30 lbs since I started using it in December.
  • Why sacrifice energy and time now, during the good years, to gain extended time at the end of life -- when you're incontinent, forgetful, and impotent? No, I say eat away, good sirs. Eat and drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
  • Why sacrifice energy and time now, during the good years, to gain extended time at the end of life -- when you're incontinent, forgetful, and impotent? No, I say eat away, good sirs. Eat and drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
    So we we can be more like these people.

With that attitude, you will never be anything like these people.
  • Or you could maintain your health throughout your entire life and have 80 years of awesome virility and vitality, rather than becoming a shriveled husk before your existence is forgotten by this world. That's what my one great grandfather did, he was 90 something and stronger than most 20 year old guys and could probably outrun most people. I want all of my years to be awesome, and also to have more years overall.
  • I like running in general and wanted to get better at long distances (10 to 13 miles) and the lighter you weigh the less stress you put on your knees and ankles.
  • Balance your exercise right, and you can eat what you want and have great fun as well.

I'm buying a serious hardtail XC bike this summer and getting my road and mountain biking on.
  • Wow, that thing says that if I intake 3000 calories a day, I'll still loose weight. Cool! I accounted my gym workout from Monday to Saturday as "very active." Maybe it's still an understatement. I don't think that's to accurate though, not for my metabolism at least.
  • Wow, that thing says that if I intake 3000 calories a day, I'll still loose weight. Cool! I accounted my gym workout from Monday to Saturday as "very active." Maybe it's still an understatement. I don't think that's to accurate though, not for my metabolism at least.
    If your tall, active and heavy that's probably true. I have mine set to an active level of a coma and that I want to lose 2 pounds a week. Which allows me to eat 1700 calories a day, I then add any exercise in to give me bonus calories to eat. I think that gives you a more realistic view of the calories but it does make sense, an hour of weight lifting or running will burn 700 to 1200 calories depending on how hard you are working out and how heavy you are. (The heavier you are the more calories you burn when you run)
  • Wow...

I take in a good 4000-5000 calories a day in the summer.
  • edited May 2010
    Wow...

I keep telling you to lay off the bacon wrapped triple stuffed bacon and blue cheese burger with bacon ranch dressing and deep fried pickles all on a sesame seed bun. Those carbs will kill you!

EDIT: And now I'm hungry...
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • bacon wrapped triple stuffed bacon and blue cheese burger with bacon ranch dressing and deep fried pickles all on a sesame seed bun.
    With cheese sticks and onion rings. And mayo.
  • edited May 2010
    Wow...

You only have to play like 4 hours of DDR to burn that off :-p (but with swimming and walking the boards and such)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • With cheese sticks and onion rings. And mayo.
    This reminds me. Deep fried brie is amazing! The crust has just a few red pepper flakes for a little spice, and the wedges had been drizzled with a balsamic reduction for a very nice sweet counter balance... /drool

Too bad the rest of the night went to shit.
  • edited May 2010
    Just a note apparently I am down to a 36-37 waist (from 44 waist at peak). Woot! Apparently running and calorie counting does work :-p

I haven't weighed myself since I clocked in at 245 around Christmas. We'll see what I weigh when I finish my half-marathon training either this week or next.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I haven't weighed myself since I clocked in at 245 around Christmas. We'll see what I weigh when I finish my half-marathon training either this week or next.
    Yeah, I went to the site and realized I couldn't even begin to use it because I don't have a scale. Maybe I can get a $5 scale at the discount shop or something.
  • edited May 2010
    I hadn't weighed myself in a few months due to lack of scale, and I was discussing weight with my friend who is convinced she weighs more than me. I estimated myself to be around 150lbs. So we eventually went back to her place and I use her scale out of curiosity, and lo and behold, I come out to around exactly 150lbs, +- a couple for weight of clothes/contents of pockets. She was just like, 'yeah, I weight more than you.... I weigh... 103 lbs....'. It was kind of amusing for me because putting on weight is my biggest concern (I have a fat percentage of around 7-12% depending on my level of hydration) and for her keeping weight off is the biggest problem. She's a little bit hard on herself though considering she used to be an gymnast on the national level.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • Yeah, I went to the site and realized I couldn't even begin to use it because I don't have a scale. Maybe I can get a $5 scale at the discount shop or something.
    Yea there is a great graphing function that graphs your weight and overlays the calories you eat per day. I haven't started tracking my weight, I just estimate my weight at 230 (since I assume I've lost at the very least 15 pounds) until I start weighing myself regularly.
  • It does seem about right. At 6 feet tall, 290 pounds, age 28, at Light Activity (on my feet most of the day, lots of moving around and walking, taking the stairs), and losing 1.5 pounds per week, it sets my calorie goal at 2620. I calculated that previously, so it seems accurate. I shoot for about 2400 calories a day and exercise, though I've been bad about that this week. Stupid furloughs.

I'ma give this a go and see if it's useful for me or not. Maybe use it to plan my diet a bit more and all that.
  • Stupidfurloughs.
    I don't know why anyone would be upset about a furlough. I will gladly take a month-long furlough.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't know why anyone would be upset about a furlough. I will gladly take a month-long furlough.
    So would you really want to go a month without being paid? I mean, I could, but do you really want to?

EDIT: Seems like a handy tool. I'll be playing with this more.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Remember if you join up to friend me so I can stalk what you eat each day :-p
  • So would you really want to go a month without being paid? I mean, Icould, but do you really want to?
    I would kill for the privilege at this point.
  • I would kill for the privilege at this point.
    As would I. Too bad killing people gets you the opposite of vacation, permanent un-vacation.