This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

25 Expressions Challenge!

2»

Comments

• You can draw?
    He can draw a penis.
  • You can draw?
    He can draw a penis.
    He definitely has had practice.
  • Because I'm too lazy to draw it: A Geodude penis in every square.
    I'm a bad artist, but I thought I'd try my hand at doing this little exercise.

His name is "Punto", spanish for "period" (due to his shape). He's a white hovering robotic sphere who's sole method of expression (beyond little beeps and strange sounds he makes from time to time) is a screen on one "side" of him. He was found floating in space by the space ship "Sonata" in a white dwarf system with 5 planets and a smattering of dwarf-planets. From what the crew of the Sonata could make out from Punto's attempts at communication, He contains the sum of all the knowledge of a long dead species.

Punto was created and launched just before the yellow sun became red giant and engulfed the first three planets. He was launched with the instructions to leave the system, but nothing further. When the star collapsed into a white dwarf, Punto returned to the system and began to search the remaining planets for signs of life. When none was found, he deactivated himself.

Although he is very intelligent, his limited ability to communicate, along with his limited physical capabilites (low range electrostatic holding beam, temporary shielding), Punto has become more or less a pet on board the Sonata. The ship's scientist, Ziegala, is currently working on an interface to directly link Punto to the Ship's computer, though limited progress has been made due to the fundamental differences in technology.
  • edited June 2010
    I hate all of you sarcastic bastards. Except Jess, cause she's trying. :\
    Because I'm too lazy to draw it: A penis in every square. Also a Geodude in every square.
    You can draw?
    I have watched Scott try to draw a picture of Gabe from Penny Arcade. Even looking at a picture for reference, he quickly became frustrated and gave up. :(
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • ave watched Scott try to draw a picture of Gabe from Penny Arcade. Even looking at a picture for reference, he quickly became frustrated and gave up. :(
    In about how many minutes did this event span?
  • ave watched Scott try to draw a picture of Gabe from Penny Arcade. Even looking at a picture for reference, he quickly became frustrated and gave up. :(
    In about how many minutes did this event span?
    About five minutes or so.
  • I think Scott has a left brain. Note that I'm not saying he's a left brain individual; rather, Scott's entire brain functions as the left side lateralization of most other human minds. He's a sort of ur-Mentat.
  • I drew cheryl merkowski 25 times

i dont think it turned out well at all but it was an interesting experience

Lapsed Expressions
  • Do you do a webcomic?
  • So I've been wanting to do this for a while (well -- maybe not wanting to, but knowing that I should), and now that I actually have days off, it seemed like a good time. I've been working on systems for structuring heads and features in an effort to get consistent characters, but I never just seriously put in the time to make a model sheet and work from it. This is just a random character I drew for this.

Some observations:

I have issues with consistency with the width of faces and features, much moreso than the height. Gotta figure something out.

It's difficult to draw an expression in a vacuum -- I feel like if I was drawing these on a comics page, in a scene, and I knew what was going on, and what the character was reacting to, it would be a lot easier. As it is, generic "happy" and "sad" is surprisingly difficult to work with.

"Triumph", "bereft", etc., are not expressions. Also, it's a lot tougher to communicate something like "drunk" out of context, without resorting to "drunk bubbles" and that sort of thing.
  • That sort of thing is why I love this sheet. It makes you ask yourself those questions. I also find it easier if you take a character you are comfortable drawing as opposed to a generic character since you sort of 'know' them. Some of the other examples I have seen do use some mild context, one of my favorites being this guy.
  • Some observations:
    He looks like the villain in The Rescuers Down Under.
  • The width of his face and the variable size of his chin turns him from a butch 30-40 something to an old man over the course of the expressions.
  • edited August 2011
    A little late to the party on this one, but I drew my skater boy, Patrick Finnegan making all sorts of faces. I think my favorites are "Fear" and "WTF."
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I like the confused one especially with the head tilt going on.
  • Flirty made me lol.
  • I saw you workin' on that last night. ^___^
  • I should draw again. I was always pretty fucking terrible at it, but I enjoyed it.
  • The WTF is definitely the best. That mouth kills me. My other favorites are the ones where he's being very teenagerish: confused, incredulous, disgusted, rage, and drunk. Good stuff!

Just decided to do these for fun. Never really drawn much before.
  • The guy who does Gone With The Blastwave completed this challenge recently. At first glance I thought it was a joke, but with a closer look I think it's actually pretty clever.

Then again, I'm probably just seeing patterns that aren't there because of the context clues under each panel. Whatever.
  • Then again, I'm probably just seeing patterns that aren't there because of the context clues under each panel. Whatever.
    I'm not so sure of that, I can see some definite variation in shadows and slight differences in eye-size and such that seem to indicate some sort of emotion.
  • He occasionally uses the helmet brim as a brow line to get some of those. I loved GWTBW but hasn't he not updated for years now?
  • I loved GWTBW but hasn't he not updated for years now?
    Updates are indeed rare, and seem to come in short bursts - last comic update was nearly a year ago.
  • I loved GWTBW but hasn't he not updated for years now?
    Sadly. Doesn't mean I won't stay subscribed for random surprises though, like that expressions challenge.