This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smoking Hurts Mental Health Also

Comments

• Welp.
  • Oh god, not Scott again on, "I hate smoking."
  • Two out of Two Scotts hate smoking :-p
  • Two out of Two Scotts hate smoking :-p
    Thirty Helens agree...

Let's look on the bright side. Now non-smokers have a counter to the "I'm acting crazy because I need a cigarette" excuse. And a significantly lower risk of being crazy. All we get out of this is an explanation of our slow descent into madness.
  • Whew, I'm fine. All my smoke is First-hand, and I'm not a churlish boor, so I try to keep my second hand smoke to myself.
  • Happily, we live in New York, where smoking rates are falling precipitously even as national averages in non-urban areas and some other cities rise. So few people smoke in the city now that I basically never have to deal with it. This has correlated directly with a sharp decrease in heart disease and an increase in life expectancy city-wide. There is still a very popular movement to ban it in public parks, but so few people smoke even there at this point that it's not that big of a deal.

It also helps that no one I spend a great deal of time with smokes at all, and the crew is pretty-much smoke free. ^_^
  • ban [smoking] in public parks
    I can understand banning smoking in public buildings, since the smoke actually hangs there for a while. But to inhale any second-hand smoke outdoors you'd have to be performing mouth-on-mouth on the fucking smokers AND sit downwind for fuck's sake. It'd be more beneficial to ban cars from your city since banning smoking everywhere isn't going to reduce the amount of crap you inhale outdoors at all.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2010
    It'd be more beneficial to ban cars from your city
    We've started that with the Broadway pedestrian zone.

The reason for the massive support of the ban isn't health. It's basically for the same reason most places ban very loud stereos and most public parks ban alcohol and glass containers: the overwhelming majority of New Yorkers find public smoking to be a public nuisance, and the litter is still a serious problem. It's not about health at all.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think we need a section of Geeknights called "Things apposed to Scott"
  • 'Nother reason I'm glad I don't do it.
  • I think we need a section of Geeknights called "Things apposed to Scott"
    It would essentially be comprised of almost everything since he is an old man in young man's body.
  • apposed
    I wonder what an apposed looks like.
  • I wonder what an apposed looks like.
    Maybe a relative of the alot.
  • edited June 2010
    apposed
    I wonder what an apposed looks like.
    I'm not sure, but it's probably standing next to something.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • I'm not sure, but it's probably standing next to something.
    So the new section isn't Scott vs. things, it's Scott with things.
  • I'm not sure, but it's probably standing next to something.
    So the new section isn't Scott vs. things, it's Scott with things.
    A rarity indeed.
  • Happily, outside of Chinatown, I rarely even encounter smokers in the street anymore. They're rare enough that they warrant noticing rather than not. My building shoos the few that try to congregate there to smoke well away from the entrances: it's rather pleasant.
  • So the new section isn't Scott vs. things, it's Scott with things.
    Scott Rubin Vs The Stupids!
  • Happily, outside of Chinatown, I rarely even encounter smokers in the street anymore. They're rare enough that they warrant noticing rather than not. My building shoos the few that try to congregate there to smoke well away from the entrances: it's rather pleasant.
    There are still plenty over near me.
  • So this is where we as a society evolve to vaporizers. Even for the poisonest of smokes, no? Though, there is something to be said for the ambience of a hookah.
  • So this is where we as a society evolve to vaporizers. Even for the poisonest of smokes, no? Though, there is something to be said for the ambience of a hookah.
    I must agree - Even Omnutia, who tends to be rather sensitive to smoke, finds the ambiance and smells pleasant whenever we head up to the hookah bar in Leeds.
  • Omnutia, who tends to be rather sensitive to smoke
    It's mostly only cigarettes that're a pain. The father smokes pipes all the time.

That reminds me, I should probably get a pipe some time.
  • That reminds me, I should probably get a pipe some time.
    I recommend it. I only smoke mine 2-3 times per week, but it is immensely relaxing. Nothing like a novel and a British blend to ease the nerves.
  • I recommend it. I only smoke mine 2-3 times per week, but it is immensely relaxing. Nothing like a novel and a British blend to ease the nerves.
    Word - On a sunny day over here, it's rare not to catch me with my foot-long churchwarden, a pot of earl grey, and a good book.
  • I'm sure it's just from the camera lens, but I prefer to think that England is actually a crazy Dr. Seuss land with wavy buildings and everything.
  • I'm sure it's just from the camera lens, but I prefer to think that England is actually a crazy Dr. Seuss land with wavy buildings and everything.
    You mean it isn't!?
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure it's just from the camera lens, but I prefer to think that England is actually a crazy Dr. Seuss land with wavy buildings and everything.
    Er, actually, it's not the lens - that area is weird, in that there are hills with all sorts of different slants - Line up on one house, and another one looks like it's on a lean, for example.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Er, actually, it's not the lens - that area is weird, in that there are hills with all sorts of different slants - Line up on one house, and another one looks like it's on a lean, for example.
    So these are really as curvy as they look?
  • edited June 2010
    So these are really as curvy as they look?
    The front wall, yes, but your line curves away from that drainage pipe - which was, indeed, old and slightly bowed but not as badly as your line, and that line of bricks in the wall, if you look, lines up with the street below it, which was actually that curved, because that wall is built directly onto the same ground level as the road, including the variation.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The front wall, yes, but your line curves away from that drainage pipe - which was, indeed, old and slightly bowed but not as badly as your line, and that line of bricks in the wall, if you look, lines up with the street below it, which was actually that curved, because that wall is built directly onto the same ground level as the road, including the variation.
    So then yes, you do live in Dr. Seuss land. Also, I didn't mean to imply that my line accurately expressed the curvature of the building -- I was just using it to point out what I was talking about.