This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ivytalk (Looking for beta users)

edited June 2010 in Technology
Alright, I think I've kept this under my hat long enough. So, as some of you know, or maybe noticed then forgot with the passage of time, I work for a startup company as a founding member (not a Founder per se, but one of the original team). Recently, as in within the last month, we released an open public beta for our first product, Ivytalk. The only reason I haven't mentioned this before is because we wanted to wait until the servers were moved to an actual co-lo instead of being run out of someone's house.

So, you can get a lot more information on the website itself, but Ivytalk is basically a method for distributed messaging across multiple platforms. Our main focus is on businesses because they have very few solutions in this area, and the solutions they do have are either cumbersome or inefficient. But, we also have a nice service for normal people too. Group chat using email/SMS.

Let's set up an example scenario. As pretty much everyone on this forum knows, Rym and Scott go to a lot of conventions during the year. There are lots of forumites who also go to these same conventions. It stands to reason that a lot of these people want to meet up and hang out during the convention. How does this usually get accomplished? From my own experience, it usually comes down to your group having one or two focal people who everyone tries to get in touch with, and they do all the coordinating. At least these days, tools like Twitter make that a little easier to do, but that's still only a form of one-to-many communication.

So, if instead of going that route, Rym decides to set up an Ivytalk group. He can sign up for our service, quickly create a group for a certain convention, and then use an invitation link to invite other forumites to that group. It can be as easy just posting a URL in a forum thread. Anybody on the forum who is going to that convention can click the link, sign up themselves, and then they are automatically put into the group. Once a forumite is in the group, any message that gets sent to the group will be received by every user in that group. So, from that perspective, it is true group chat.

What makes this powerful though is that once you are in a group, you can have the messages sent wherever you like. In a con situation, I would assume that most people would enter in their phone numbers so that they will receive texts. In a business situation, an email might be more appropriate. And there will be many more options down the line.

Anyway, this is sounding too much like a marketing pitch, but that is just the mode we are in.

As I said, we are in public beta right now. The service is 100% free, and always will be for the basic functionality. I'm asking all of the FRCF people to help out with our beta. Right now we have several businesses working with us, but we also need normal consumers to use the service and give us feedback on what we should change and fix. You can even direct all of your comments at me since I do most of the fixes anyway.

And of course, the link: Ivytalk.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• That's actually a damn good idea. You probably have a good chance of moderate success if your stuff actually works.
  • I'm with Scott on this one, it's a bloody good idea. I've signed on, username Churba.
  • Sounds like an amazing idea. Kinda that step in between texting a whole bunch of people and tweeting to the universe.
  • Ok, I signed up.

Hire a graphic designer immediately.
  • I'm agreeing with Scott twice in one day. Can someone check for any Aerial Livestock or signs of the end times, please?
  • Well, a pig just crashed through my second-story window... And the embodyment of all man's evil and hatred just showed up asking for firewood.
  • That is a really good idea, knox. I hope this leads to awesomeness.

I signed up. Rosaka. No groups yet.

Is the FRC going to a make a group? It should and test it out at Connecticon and use it at PAX.
  • Hire a graphic designer immediately.
    Yes, we are well aware of this. That's just what happens when your whole company is all marketing people and engineers. We should be able to get some real graphic design once we get money.
  • I signed up. I definitely agree on the graphic designer.
  • I signed up. Sonic.
  • I signed up. Mageos
  • Thanks to all for signing up! I'm hoping that some of you are trying to use the system. The main point of the consumer beta is to see if messages are sent and received properly across a large range of phones and carriers, and email clients and services. We don't have the equipment to do this ourselves for every option out there.
  • Thanks to all for signing up! I'm hoping that some of you are trying to use the system. The main point of the consumer beta is to see if messages are sent and received properly across a large range of phones and carriers, and email clients and services. We don't have the equipment to do this ourselves for every option out there.
    The only problem I forsee is that I'd be sending it to my australian mobile number, and I don't know how well that's going to take it.
  • The only problem I forsee is that I'd be sending it to my australian mobile number, and I don't know how well that's going to take it.
    That is true. We only support US and Canada phone carriers right now.
  • That is true. We only support US and Canada phone carriers right now.
    I'm in your systems, breakin' your phone support!

Nah, I might see what works out. I don't know. Hey, half the point of a public beta is to poke stuff and see what breaks.
  • That is true. We only support US and Canada phone carriers right now.
    I'm in your systems, breakin' your phone support!

Nah, I might see what works out. I don't know. Hey, half the point of a public beta is to poke stuff and see what breaks.
    Honestly, we can support virtually any carrier in the world. We're just not going international yet because the latency of having the messages sent to our servers here would be pretty high. Also, there are costs involved that we don't want to deal with yet.
  • A press release appears!

Also of note: Doing a Google search for Ivytalk has this thread in the top 5.
  • A press release appears!

Also of note: Doing a Google search for Ivytalk has this thread in the top 5.
    I'm sure if you post this on Hacker News you'll get a ton of great feedback/exposure.
  • On behalf (and as half) of the dev team, I would like to thank Neito for breaking the system over the weekend. It has led to us hopefully fixing one of the oldest bugs we hadn't figured out yet.
  • signed up. usrName.
  • On behalf (and as half) of the dev team, I would like to thank Neito for breaking the system over the weekend. It has led to us hopefully fixing one of the oldest bugs we hadn't figured out yet.
    If I broke it, it was through some sort of magical powers; I haven't used it for anything. Unless it had to do with a rush of signups for the Otakon group, in which case I totally take credit for it.
    If I broke it, it was through some sort of magical powers; I haven't used it for anything. Unless it had to do with a rush of signups for the Otakon group, in which case I totally take credit for it.
    Bingo.
  • Well, right now it's only showing two people other than me. Did the others get removed during the bug fix or something?
  • Well, right now it's only showing two people other than me. Did the others get removed during the bug fix or something?
    The fix hasn't been pushed to production yet, so no. We don't take data out of the database either.
  • Perhaps this is your competition?

http://groop.ly/welcome
  • Perhaps this is your competition?

http://groop.ly/welcome
    Thanks for the link. I'll send it along to our team. It doesn't seem to be as complex as our platform is, even currently, but it certainly does seem to be doing one of our functions. It's kind of strange that it allows you to use a dumb phone, but to sign up you have to have a phone capable of mobile browsing. Still, it is competition.