This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Eurovision 2010

RymRym
edited June 2010 in Art!
I have to say, I'm not super impressed with Eurovision this year. I haven't found any particularly crazy ones yet, and most of them are sentimental solo vocals in English... Germany won with a fairly pedestrian entry. Albania was OK. Spain was fun. But overall it was underwhelming.

Albania:
wFvz3Ftf_5g

Spain:
AdIqba_94mE

Comments

• OK. Greece was funny and fun.
  • Eurowhat now?
  • Lithuania was also fun.
  • So by underwhelming you actually mean I enjoyed it.
  • I think it's easy to see why Germany won. People seem to really love that Lena girl, and she sang a catchy pop song.
  • You weren't super impressed? Does that mean you were just impressed? Holy crap. It was the usual mediocre stuff this year as most years. Thankfully our song never saw the finals. It was shit.
  • Eurowhat now?
    Until now, you'd never heard of this?
  • edited June 2010
    Eurowhat now?
    Until now, you'd never heard of this?
    I don't generally keep up with lame European pop music, no.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    I don't generally keep up with lame European pop music, no.
    Lame American pop only, huh.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I don't generally keep up with lame European pop music, no.
  • Lame American pop only, huh.
    A lot of famous bands entered into the past, won, had their careers take off, and have left at least some sort of mark on music history as a result. Some examples include ABBA and Celine Dion.
  • That's actually pretty interesting. I didn't know that.
  • edited June 2010
    Was there any Verka Serdushka?

Ahh, I love accordion techno.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Last years homoerotic spectacle that was Greece's phallic stage aid (look at the end of the video)

And of course Finland's crushing victory by entering, for the first time in the competitions history, a non pop song (after that year several other countries tried to replicate this unsuccessfully)

To understand Europe's affinity for this song contest you have to realize that it is pretty much a known thing that most of the songs are utter utter crap and that the stage performances are going to be hilarious. The requirement that the song being performed is previously unpublished and the fact that the contest will effectively own it afterwards probably contribute to less than stellar efforts being brought to bear on the task of writing and composing. Big stars like Lily Allen, The Black Eyes Peas, or whatever other European band you may have heard of wouldn't be caught dead participating. So, at least for people in our age group, the song contest is about getting together with a bunch of friends, making and eating good food, and laughing our asses off for two and a half hours straight.

Other fun facts:
    • It is, undeniably, extremely popular within certain sexual minorities.
    • Neighbouring countries always end up voting for each other. Within the eastern block this "problem" was so severe that special changes were made to the voting system in order to prevent the contest forever circulating in those countries.
    • It is actually a financial nightmare for a countries public broadcasting company to win the contest.
    • Did I already mention the utter gayness of this contest?
  • Some examples include ABBA and Celine Dion.
    That's 2 acts out of 2 dozen acts made every year for the past 50 years (okay, less acts at first, but that ain't changing a lot). Stellar turn-over in good stuff don't you think?
    for the first time in the competitions history, a non pop song
    They were only the first non-pop song to not fail utterly and completely.
    The Black Eyes Peas
    Those aren't European. Though even then, some artists were already famous in their own country well before they participated in Eurovision.
    Did I already mention the utter gayness of this contest?
    This bears repeating, for it's the only thing that remains.
  • The Black Eyes Peas
    Those aren't European.
    Dang I always get them mixed up with Rednex, anyways the gist of my statement stands, false examples not withstanding.
  • It's a lot like the Red and White contest at new years in Japan.
    I like Eurovision. It is fun and goofy and totally gay.
    Also, I legitimately like Alexander Rybak's song that won in 2009. He is a smiley fiddle guy!
  • Smiley fiddle guy is right! Those were really cool! I might have to start watching this Eurovision business.