This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Microsoft Small Basic

edited June 2010 in Technology
So I read about this on Download Squad this morning and, I've gotta say, I'm impressed. Microsoft Small Basic (not to be confused with the GPL programming language) makes learning how to program feel easy for people who aren't pre-disposed towards coding.

The beginning interface is simple and non-threatening, a far cry from it's grown-up brother Visual Basic Express 2010, and it boasts one particular feature that I think is pretty fucking awesome. When you start to type a function, a little "helper" appears and offers you choices to try and auto complete what you are typing. And it's not just for the built-in functions, it also recognizes and offers any variables you might have created throughout your
program. And it does this intelligently.

It also sports another feature which I think is kinda interesting. If you want to share your code with the world, you can do it very easily. Just click the publish button on the ribbon, and your program will recieve a unique identifier and an URL, which will allow it to be accessable to anyone you share the URL or ID with. You can also name, catagorize, and give a brief description about the program before its uploaded for the world to see.

Microsoft also provides a neat "little" 65 page intructional manual, complete with screenshots, to help teach you how to program in Small Basic. It has a number of great tutorials that steps you through writing the program, describing each portion of the code, at a speed that lets the budding programmer-in-training grow some confidence in writing their first programs.

Small Basic also sports many other cool features, like Flickr integration, the ability to program in Logo using Turtle, and the ability to "graduate" your code to VisualStudio 2010 Express.

Overall, (if you couldn't tell), I'm pretty excited about Microsoft Small Basic. I've always wanted to learn programming and, I think, for beginner programmers like me, this is a great way to get into programming.

Links:
Microsoft Small Basic Homepage: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/ff384126.aspx

Comments

• Has been discussed on GeekNights before.
  • Has been discussed on GeekNights before.
    What? When?
  • I can't find it for the life of me, but I distinctly remember it being news or TotD or something.
  • edited June 2010
    I can't find it for the life of me, but I distinctly remember it being news or TotD or something.
    I don't remember it. maybe you were going to use it as a ToTD, but didn't?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I remember it.
  • it boasts one particular feature that I think is pretty fucking awesome. When you start to type a function, a little "helper" appears and offers you choices to try and auto complete what you are typing. And it's not just for the built-in functions, it also recognizes and offers any variables you might have created throughout your program. And it does this intelligently.
    ... Like every IDE out there has been doing for the last decade...
    Overall, (if you couldn't tell), I'm pretty excited about Microsoft Small Basic. I've always wanted to learn programming and, I think, for beginner programmers like me, this is a great way to get into programming.
    There exist better tutorials for beginners that do not lock you in with one vendor you know. Those publishing and integration-with features just sound to me like Microsoft trying to be 'cool' and 'hip' and 'up-to-date', basically more 'web 2.0' bullshit. It's an IDE, not a browser ffs.
    I remember it.
    You know, this sentence would actually mean something if a third party said it. Now it might still have been just pre- or post-show banter between the two of you.
  • edited June 2010
    it boasts one particular feature that I think is pretty fucking awesome. When you start to type a function, a little "helper" appears and offers you choices to try and auto complete what you are typing. And it's not just for the built-in functions, it also recognizes and offers any variables you might have created throughout your program. And it does this intelligently.
    ... Like every IDE out there has been doing for the last decade...
    I've seen how VBStudio does it, but I really think this does it better. Have you tired it?
    There exist better tutorials for beginners that do not lock you in with one vendor you know. Those publishing and integration-with features just sound to me like Microsoft trying to be 'cool' and 'hip' and 'up-to-date', basically more 'web 2.0' bullshit. It's an IDE, not a browser ffs.
    So you're saying Microsoft shouldn't encourage open source?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I've seen how VBStudio does it, but I really think this does it better. Have you tired it?
    I really shouldn't have removed the "worth its salt" addition to that line. Every IDE worth its salt has done EVERYTHING you claim for the past decade.
    So you're saying Microsoft shouldn't encourage open source?
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. There's zero encouragement for open source. 1. The entire thing from program to framework to publishing to player are all restricted to Microsoft products (.NET, Small Basic and Silverlight) and 2. go read the UELA's for where the code gets uploaded, I spot a "© Microsoft, all rights reserved" claim and no licensing terms.