This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

T-Mobile

edited June 2010 in Technology
So I've been thinking about how expensive my Verizon service is and how much my Droid annoys me in general (it just doesn't seem to have enough RAM). I'm thinking about ditching it for a Nexus One, but that means T-Mobile. T-mobile seems to be a very cool and smartphone savy phone company. I'm wondering what other people's experience with them is like. How's the coverage? How's the 3G speed? How's the customer service?

Comments

• I used to be a tech support instructor at T-Mobile. The network is spotty, the 3G is relegated to urban areas only and is slow there. They can be loose with credits if that matters to you, and they routinely rank #1 in customer service with J.D. Power. The network is GSM, so they are all about quad-band smart phones that will operate on networks worldwide. Verizon and most other U.S. carriers (with the exception of AT&T) use CDMA, so call quality is better than T-Mobile. CDMA also uses power control technology that lengthens time between charging. On the other hand, the GSM infrastructure like T-Mobile's allow you to talk and surf the Web at the same time.

It all comes down to preference.
  • I'm on T-Mobile, under their Even More Plus plan (500 minutes/month, +INF text and data, roughly $66 including taxes/fees). The steps up from that go 1000 mins a month, and then unlimited, each step costing another $10.

Coverage-wise, they're great near population centers, but at home, I only get signal on my bed in the corner of the house. This is Rural Indiana, though, so you may not encounter this problem.

I'm getting average speeds of roughly 1M/250k while sitting in the Purdue Research Park area, though I hear that TMO's rolling out their 7M/1M HSPA capabilities closer to the East Coast population centers.

Based on two interactions, customer service is decent, they understood the issue well, and were friendly and fluent in English.
  • 7M/1M HSPA capabilities
    Careful, this is only in Philadelphia. Tmo is slow to roll out any new network components because it doesn't have the resources of other carriers.
  • Careful, this is only in Philadelphia.
    Philadelphia of all places?

Maybe I should just wait for the Nexus Two, I hear that's coming to Verizon.
  • T-Mobile coverage is great! I get reception everywhere I've been in the country/on the continent!
  • edited June 2010
    Philadelphia of all places?
    Hey Philly is the 5th largest (4th most populated:-)) city ;-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Hey Philly is the 5th largest (4th most populated:-)) city ;-p
    Sixth.