This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do all of you think of the Zune?

13»

Comments

• The entire laptop had to be custom built anyway. It's possible I could have bought the laptop with the standard 4gb of ram, and then upgraded. But what would I have done with the spare 4gb of ram? I just ticked the box, and will hopefully never have to unscrew anything in the laptop until I buy a new one.
  • Why get 8GB in the first place?
    Also a completely valid point.
  • Why get 8GB in the first place?
    Have you been paying attention?
  • Have you been paying attention?
    Are you referring to your desire for the computer to last you many years? If so, having 4 extra gigs of RAM will not make any difference in that department. I can pretty much guarantee you will see no performance improvement from that extra 4GB of RAM almost ever. Also, the limiting factor in obsolescence will be the CPU and the video card. The CPU will be fast enough for a fuck long time, the video card is already sort of obsolete-ish because Macs (except the tower) have crap video cards.
  • @Luke: I was joking. Nice computer.
  • I've got an original Zune 30 and I really like it. The only real problem is the program. The Zune software is super shitty! Its super bogged down and it has a lot of trouble with getting the correct album info. I've had multiple occasions when I had perfect album info in windows media player but it was all mixed up in Zune. Plus a lot of the default settings are terrible. If i remember correctly, it defaults delete an album from your collection when you delete it from your Zune. And for podcasts it's default seems to be to download ever episode of any podcast you subscribe to. I like my Zune but mess around with the software for a bit before you do anything with it because you might end up hating it.
  • iTunes isn't exactly good software either, though the Zune could be worse.
  • iTunes isn't exactly good software either, though the Zune could be worse.
    Ideally you wouldn't have any desktop software, and everything would be on the device itself.
  • Ideally you wouldn't have any desktop software, and everything would be on the device itself.
    What exactly does this mean? The way iPods sync is pretty damn slick, despite iTunes being pretty clunky. I agree with you about podcasts, and the iOS devices and Android's Google Listen solve that problem pretty well, but for the whole library?
  • What exactly does this mean? The way iPods sync is pretty damn slick, despite iTunes being pretty clunky. I agree with you about podcasts, and the iOS devices and Android's Google Listen solve that problem pretty well, but for the whole library?
    Why have iTunes installed on the desktop? Why not have the full iTunes application on the iPod itself, instead of just the store part? Just switch around the UI so that it is touchable. A full installation of iTunes in your pocket. No reason it isn't technologically feasible.
  • Why have iTunes installed on the desktop? Why not have the full iTunes application on the iPod itself, instead of just the store part?
    But that does raise the question of what you use when you're just at your computer and want to listen to something. Also, what do you do with music bought on the iPod/Zune that you don't have room for?
    I've got an original Zune 30 and I really like it. The only real problem is the program. The Zune software is super shitty! Its super bogged down and it has a lot of trouble with getting the correct album info. I've had multiple occasions when I had perfect album info in windows media player but it was all mixed up in Zune.
    I've have my fair share of problems with iTunes/iPod/iPhone. Mixed-up album artwork is fairly common and ever since OS 3.0 the smart playlists on my iPhone and former iPod touch have been screwed up. Recent reviews of the Zune software I've read/watched seem to agree that the software is near/at iTunes quality now.
  • edited June 2010
    Why have iTunes installed on the desktop? Why not have the full iTunes application on the iPod itself, instead of just the store part?
    But that does raise the question of what you use when you're just at your computer and want to listen to something. Also, what do you do with music bought on the iPod/Zune that you don't have room for?
    You use something better than iTunes, clearly - foobar2000, for example. As for music you've bought, you can keep it on the desktop just fine, or just re-download it when you need it depending on how the service works.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • But that does raise the question of what you use when you're just at your computer and want to listen to something
    You have a wire that goes to the Internet that is hopefully very fast. You should be able to listen to any song ever recorded at any moment.
    Also, what do you do with music bought on the iPod/Zune that you don't have room for?
    If you're in the business of paying for music, you should be allowed to re-download or stream anything you have ever paid for at any moment. If you try to download more than you have room for, you can just delete some. Maybe it could even be helpful and suggest things to delete. For example, podcasts that have been fully listened to can probably be deleted. As can songs downloaded a long time ago with very few listens.
  • I like the Zune software way better than iTunes. I only keep it around at this point in case I find a podcast that only has an iTunes link so I can get the feed out of there, or for the rare CD that Zune doesn't have a record for. What really aggravated me about it is that it can't find album art at all. I tried getting it to find art for my BEATLES CDs and it couldn't pull them up. The HD is a great player, but I like having a lot of space and I still like buttons over a touch screen so I have one of the old hard drive based ones. It's still a fine media player, all the same formats work but the software may need to convert them first, and the screen is 4:3 instead of wide. One other plus of the Zune store is most of, if not all of the music you buy is in mp3, not a wacky format like iTunes continues to use.
  • My main problem with the Zune program nowadays is with podcasts. It may be that I just haven't found the right setting, but every time I add a podcast it tries to download every episode. It did that last time before I reinstalled windows, so it wouldn't do it again but now it's just downloading them as doubles. I just want the new episodes and this infuriates me because I have to cancel the downloads every time I open the program. It's ridiculous.
  • My main problem with the Zune program nowadays is with podcasts. It may be that I just haven't found the right setting, but every time I add a podcast it tries to download every episode. It did that last time before I reinstalled windows, so it wouldn't do it again but now it's just downloading them as doubles. I just want the new episodes and this infuriates me because I have to cancel the downloads every time I open the program. It's ridiculous.
    You just need to change the series setting. Go to the podcast section of your collection and tell it exactly what you want it to do automatically.
    You just need to change the series setting. Go to the podcast section of your collection and tell it exactly what you want it to do automatically.
    I just looked at the series settings and I can't find anything about when to download them. All it has is how many to keep, the playback order, and when to sync; nothing about when and what to download.
  • So if you want the newest episodes only, you tell it to keep one episode, playback from newest to oldest. It will grab the newest episode and then delete it when the next one comes out.
  • So if you want the newest episodes only, you tell it to keep one episode, playback from newest to oldest. It will grab the newest episode and then delete it when the next one comes out.
    Yeah but I have random episodes I haven't listened to, so that won't work. I just want it to download the newest ones and then have a download button for the older ones.
    Yeah but I have random episodes I haven't listened to, so that won't work. I just want it to download the newest ones and then have a download button for the older ones.
    You can do that. Set it just as I told you, then go and press the download button on any random old episodes you want.