This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC @ E3

edited June 2010 in Video Games
DHyE_XSEpwM
5THiN8szSKM
Bq2mZoKkqMw
mGlyQmmvj0w

Comments

• So badass. Too bad the game is probably going to be another WoW clone.
  • edited June 2010
    Star Wars.. Star Wars has changed..

Remember when Darth Vs Luke was this big spectacle and Jedi didn't whip their sabers out at every chance they got?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So badass. Too bad the game is probably going to be another WoW clone.
    Better than being a star wars: Galaxies clone.
  • Yea Bioware knows how to make a good star wars trailer. It's a shame that we didn't get Old Republic movies.. They would have been more awesome.
  • Were any big exclusives announced for the PC? I'd like the be more enthused to get into PC gaming, but this is sad so far..
  • The PC stuff doesn't have a big event so it'll come in bits and pieces. PC and DS are the only two I've seen stuff to excite me. Aside from that DLG on the PS3.
  • PC doesn't need any help. Civ V all on its own will provide enough hours of entertainment that you will not need to buy any other games.
    1. PC doesn't need any help. Civ V all on its own will provide enough hours of entertainment that you will not need to buy any other games.

Some people like variety though.
  • Use mods.
  • edited June 2010
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Some new Civ V details
    Holy shit, you get to use GIANTS for combat!
  • Use mods.
    Yeah I guess my problem is I want some flashy event showing off new PC games in a big way. How E3 is supposed to be for games in general.
  • edited June 2010
    So badass. Too bad the game is probably going to be another WoW clone.
    Um, I kind of doubt it a lot. Bioware is basically making a new KOTOR game that just happens to be online, not an MMO that just happens to be Star Wars themed. The Bioware dialogue and storyline is what is going to make this a game that is worth playing.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    Um, I kind of doubt it a lot. Bioware is basically making a new KOTOR game that just happens to be online, not an MMO that just happens to be Star Wars themed. The Bioware dialogue and storyline is what is going to make this a game that is worth playing.
    There are already gameplay videos and such out there, and easy enough to find - this is not new news, and it's pretty easy to see it's not a WOW clone.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Um, I kind of doubt it a lot. Bioware is basically making a new KOTOR game that just happens to be online, not an MMO that just happens to be Star Wars themed. The Bioware dialogue and storyline is what is going to make this a game that is worth playing.
    Just what I have been waiting for, BioWare game single-player/co-op rpg, with added shitcokery shouting kids running around.
  • WHY has no one said anything about the new PORTAL VIDEOS?!
    I don't want to watch the in-depth gameplay vids because I don't want to spoil anything for myself before I play it.
    Let's say something then. I got excited.
    Happy now?
    Let's say something then. I got excited.
    Happy now?
    ...Yes.
  • I am not excited about Portal 2 because it is not what I wanted. It's just rehash of the first with more puzzle pieces.

Those puzzles are quite deterministic -- there's a correct way to do them. Oh, maybe a few of them give leverage for some neat alternative methods, but the game is really just figuring out which order to press which buttons to do exactly what the developer intended. There's marginal wiggle room for innovation.

I wanted the sequel to incorporate the portal gun into combat. Can you imagine the new avenues that would open in TF2? Jump off the 2Fort courtyard balcony and catapult across the moat at high speed! Use portals to make a pyro flame himself to death! Rockets routed at right angles to reality!
  • Those puzzles are quite deterministic -- there's a correct way to do them. Oh, maybe a few of them give leverage for some neat alternative methods, but the game is really just figuring out which order to press which buttons to do exactly what the developer intended. There's marginal wiggle room for innovation.
    It has co-op I thought? That alone is enough. It's not about solving the puzzles as much as it is about execution. Also, some puzzles have alternate solutions.
    I wanted the sequel to incorporate the portal gun into combat. Can you imagine the new avenues that would open in TF2? Jump off the 2Fort courtyard balcony and catapult across the moat at high speed! Use portals to make a pyro flame himself to death! Rockets routed at right angles to reality!
    You don't think Valve also wants this? I can almost guarantee they are doing it for HL2:E3. That's also probably the reason it is much delayed. It is an incredibly difficult technological problem in single player, let alone multiplayer.
  • I'd be more interested in the multiplayer stuff you could pull just using Portal stuff. Dropping your opponent into traps, lining up turrets, deflecting rockets onto the ground near them, fling races, etc..
  • I can almost guarantee they are doing it for HL2:E3.
    If Ep 2 is to be believed, this theory has credence.
  • It is an incredibly difficult technological problem in single player, let alone multiplayer.
    True that. If you listen to all the developers commentary regarding the programming and rendering aspects of Portal, you can see how it's a pretty big undertaking.
  • edited June 2010

Seems like a generic shooter, but I like the backstory (though a little far fetched) and I've always like to play a shooter set in a "Red Dawn" situation (not counting Turning point which kinda sucked)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • On the subject of Civ V, I wish the cities would actually spread over one title, I mean you have a city like New York, it should probably be a bit bigger then one title.
  • edited June 2010
    On the subject of Civ V, I wish the cities would actually spread over one title, I mean you have a city like New York, it should probably be a bit bigger then one title.
    the city itself only displays on one tile, but that's just an abstraction. The city actually takes up every tile that the population of the city is permitted to work on, or you could even say it takes up its entire cultural border.

What I would like to see is for the workable boundaries of cities to not be locked in to a certain shape. The workable area for a city should maybe start out with a radius of one hex from the center, and then it should be able to increase like culture. In Civ 4, you can only have 22 actual population points working the land, the rest have to be scientists, etc even if the cultural borders are way way far out. Also, if a city only has four population, it still locks up all these tiles around it, making it annoying to position new cities. In Civ V I hope all cities start with a border of just one hex, and then grow. It should even be possible, at least on paper, to have a single city that takes an entire continent, and has a population point working in every single workable square.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In Civ 4, you can only have 22 actual population points working the land, the rest have to be scientists, etc even if the cultural borders are way way far out.
    In Civ II, you could ship food. I would make tributary cities sending their food to my real cities in the endgame.