This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Summer Sale

Comments

• If you want, pick something from the Under £7 selection. £2 isn't that big a difference.
  • Does the Ghostbusters game have any sort of co-op or anything?
  • edited June 2010
    It's listed as just single player. I'd have thought 4-player would have been a no-brainer.

Oh joy, it's only the PC version that doesn't have multiplayer.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Machinarium and Guns of Icarus are both half-price at $5, though they might still go on for a bigger discount later on.
    Everyone needs to fucking buy Machinarium.
  • edited June 2010
    Hey, does anyone still play L4D1? It's cheap enough and I feel like a bit of variety from L4D2.
    Also, there are two top down, mowing down aliens on space ships games and neither of them has online co-op.

Ah, that reminds me, I should go pre-order NS2.
  • Machinarium and Guns of Icarus are both half-price at $5, though they might still go on for a bigger discount later on.
    Everyone needs to fucking buy Machinarium.
    Sorry, $10 and $5 respectively. I would've bought Machinarium at $5 quite quickly.
  • Fuck all y'all. Not buying anything, just playing some Super Metroid. Better than all those games combined.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Fuck all y'all. Not buying anything, just playing some Super Metroid. Better than all those games combined.
    Branch out to new ones. I cannot deny that Super Metroid is undeniably a phenomenal triumph in the medium of video games. But go branch out, be open to new ideas/concepts, and try to see if you can be surprised. It's the same thing you do (or at least should do) with any kind of media.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited June 2010
    But go branch out, be open to new ideas/concepts, and try to see if you can be surprised. It's the same thing you do (or at least should do) with any kind of media.
    We are talking to Scott here, right? The same Scott who takes one look at a game and makes a snap judgment that the game must be crap because the controls aren't immediately configured to his liking, or it's a "rehash of older game X that was done better", or there's no included tutorial and he can't be bothered to read the manual? For being a younger dude, Scott is one of the oldest grognards I've ever heard when it comes to trying a new video game. :D
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • But go branch out, be open to new ideas/concepts, and try to see if you can be surprised. It's the same thing you do (or at least should do) with any kind of media.
    We are talking to Scott here, right? The same Scott who takes one look at a game and makes a snap judgment that the game must be crap because the controls aren't immediately configured to his liking, or it's a "rehash of older game X that was done better", or there's no included tutorial and he can't be bothered to read the manual? For being a younger dude, Scott is one of the oldest grognards I've ever heard when it comes to trying a new video game. :D
    Well all of that is aberrant behavior that needs to go away.
  • Maybe instead you punk kids should play some Super Metroid and learn a thing or two.
  • Maybe instead you punk kids should play some Super Metroid and learn a thing or two.
    I implied that I had played it, I understand it's relevance to video gaming as a whole, and appreciate that it is something that must be played through at least once if you are a gamer to any degree. But there is also something to be said for broadening your horizons too.
  • Just walk away, Matt. Just...walk away.
  • I guarantee there are many on this forum who have not played.
  • Crocomire's death scared me.
  • I try a great many games, more than I talk about. Most are just so mediocre or uninspired that I have literally nothing to say about them.

It's not nostalgia, either. 99% of NES games were utterly unworth any amount of play. 99% of SNES games were the same. 99.999% of Atari games weren't worth the plastic their cartridges were molded out of. 99% of games today are in the same boat. A game that elicits any response beyond "meh" is remarkable in the extreme.
  • Crocomire's death scared me.
    Oh yeah, that was a rather jumpy moment. That's one thing that Super Metroid does really well: creative and very memorable boss fights.

I try a great many games, more than I talk about. Most are just so mediocre or uninspired that I have literally nothing to say about them.
    Maybe you set your standards so high, that you are expecting an industry-changing and all-around amazing game?
  • Oh yeah, that was a rather jumpy moment. That's one thing that Super Metroid does really well: creative and very memorable boss fights.
    Actually, the boss fights are meh as far as I'm concerned. The real awesome part of the game is just exploring and finding secrets and such. Even though I've played it before, I forget where the gravity suit and grappling hook are. Compare that to Zelda 1 where I remember every bush that can be burned.
    Maybe you set your standards so high, that you are expecting an industry-changing and all-around amazing game?
    There's no such thing as standards too high. You will only be alive for a limited number of years. Every second you live is precious. If you've already decided to play some games, why play a crappy one when non-crappy ones are available?
  • edited June 2010
    There's no such thing as standards too high. You will only be alive for a limited number of years. Every second you live is precious. If you've already decided to play some games, why play a crappy one when non-crappy ones are available?
    I...I agree with Scott on this one. If a game is meh, why play it? I love Initial D, but the PC game is just garbage, so I don't play it. In contrast, games like Dirt2 and Burnout are awesome, and I spend a lot of time playing those.

If you are spending x amount of time on pleasure, why not try to get as much pleasure as you can during that time? If having sex was available to you at any time, wouldn't you rather have sex than play a video game?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Top deals have just refreshed: Space Asshole for £5 looked good until I saw that my system just meets minimum specs.
    Also of note: HL1 if you don't already have it. Zeno Clash looks interesting enough to be worth £3.
  • None of the current bunch stands out to me. 50% off the Company of Heroes games doesn't seem like enough, while the rest don't really interest me.

If you don't have Left 4 Dead 2, it's $10.20 at the moment.
  • edited June 2010
    Modern Warfare 2 is £40 + £10 to have all the maps. It's £50 and it's not the Pokemon MMO. Just let that sink in for a second.

I'm pretty sure most of the Valve games are going to be heavily reduced at some point so I'll wait on L4D1.
  • Even though I've played it before...
    You will only be alive for a limited number of years...
    By your own logic, would it not therefore be more worth your time to go try something new instead of replaying the same old games repeatedly? I can understand putting a game down and walking away from it if it truly is garbage, but a lot of what you deem as "crappy" games seem to be games you don't want to put any effort into because one piece of their puzzle doesn't fit for you.
  • Zeno Clash looks interesting enough to be worth £3.
    It pretty much is. My only issues with it were that it's short, and the controls take some getting used to and can be clumsy.
    Getting Supreme Commander 2 for $8. I enjoyed the first one, and from what I remember seeing about this one it's also decent to good.
  • Anybody hear good things about the new Alien Breed? I'm in the mood for some arcade action.
  • edited June 2010
    Anybody hear good things about the new Alien Breed? I'm in the mood for some arcade action.
    I played the demo. It was fun.

I'm going to lose a lot of money; I don't know why all of Hearts of Iron had to go on sale with Audiosurf, SC2, and Company of Heroes.

EDIT: Eh, I'm just going to grab CoH pack and the two indies for today.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited June 2010
    There is NO excuse to not get Civilization IV today. Flotilla looks good for 2.50 (played the demo a bit and it was pretty fun). Probably will get the Gothic pack... which seems to really be only a few bucks but comes up at 9.99 for some reason.)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • There is NO excuse to not get Civilization IV today.
    Agreed. I'll snap up all the expansions I'm missing.

Is the DoW2 pack worth the price of admission?
  • The singleplayer campaign is quite good, though I didn't like the multiplayer as much when I played in the beta. I've heard the co-op is loads of fun, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

I'm guessing it's too late, but the THQ pack would probably have been a better deal if you were getting both CoH and DoW2.
  • Ehh, I dunno. I've never been much for games like Civ and Sim City.