This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Westworld. FAckk!

I suspected the events of this episode, but it was unspoiled because the acting is delicious!

Oh goodness gracious that was riveting.

Also:

• Westworld. FAckk!

I suspected the events of this episode, but it was unspoiled because the acting is delicious!

I had and voiced my suspicions about this to my friends and family who kept telling me I was stupid to propose it from episode 1.

However I had also suspected other characters too.
  • edited November 2016
    Westworld. I can't even.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Westworld! I can't remember the last time I was this excited over a show. Maeve is my favorite, and after thinking Ford was boring in the first few episodes I'm so excited to see what happens next week. There's so many theories floating around that I can't wait to see which ones actually happen.
  • The picture,
  • Rochelle said:

The picture,

It didn't look like anything to me.

• I marathoned Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It's pretty good, although a little dense. I had read the book, but I only half-remembered it.
  • Naoza said:

I have pulled a Scott and decided to watch something that's mad long so I'll always have something to watch if I want. With that in mind I started watching Law & Order, the original. Mostly causes me to google shit mid episode, namely obscure laws or cases. Somewhere inside my head there's a lawyer who didn't go to law school.

I not too long ago re-watched "The Practice". If you're into the law half of the show, I really recommend it. Has a bit of the 90's 'after school special' syndrome to some of it, but it's mostly very engaging.
  • Dirk Gently... My god...
  • someNOOB said:

Naoza said:

I have pulled a Scott and decided to watch something that's mad long so I'll always have something to watch if I want. With that in mind I started watching Law & Order, the original. Mostly causes me to google shit mid episode, namely obscure laws or cases. Somewhere inside my head there's a lawyer who didn't go to law school.

I not too long ago re-watched "The Practice". If you're into the law half of the show, I really recommend it. Has a bit of the 90's 'after school special' syndrome to some of it, but it's mostly very engaging.
    I will put it into the queue of things to scratch my legal tv itch.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Dirk Gently... My god...

I enjoy the show, but it doesn't square with Dirk Gently as a franchise. I am approaching it as Dirk Gently, Jr. so as to avoid any dissapointment/clashing with the DG books and previous miniseries.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Dirk Gently... My god...

I enjoy the show, but it doesn't square with Dirk Gently as a franchise. I am approaching it as Dirk Gently, Jr. so as to avoid any dissapointment/clashing with the DG books and previous miniseries.
    I have not read the books in over twenty years so my memory of the books is very spotty.
  • edited December 2016
    Might about to be watching a lot more HBO stuff now that Amazon Prime subscribers can get HBO on Amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/HBO

This is the sort of 'shut up and take my money' deal I think many in the cable cutter camp can get into.

It is $15/month tho which is above the no-brainer pain threshold of say, about 10 buxkses. And HBO has a lot of good content but you are only getting one channel of content and not a huge variety of other stuff unlike stock Prime or Netflix. So it's premium. But for those who would have HBO if not for them going without a cable base package, I think this falls into being just good enough to try out at least.

Edit: After looking a bit, it does seem to include some movies and events and such that you won't get through Prime or Netflix yet so, that's another plus.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • SWATrous said:

Might about to be watching a lot more HBO stuff now that Amazon Prime subscribers can get HBO on Amazon now.

This is the sort of 'shut up and take my money' deal I think many in the cable cutter camp can get into.

It is $15/month tho which is above the no-brainer pain threshold of say, about 10 buxkses. And HBO has a lot of good content but you are only getting one channel of content and not a huge variety of other stuff unlike stock Prime or Netflix. So it's premium. But for those who would have HBO if not for them going without a cable base package, I think this falls into being just good enough to try out at least.

Edit: After looking a bit, it does seem to include some movies and events and such that you won't get through Prime or Netflix yet so, that's another plus.

I'm dubious about amazon prime video as they make you sit through an unskippable (or they did last time I tried it) PURACY IS WRONG BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! message which I found almost as infuriating as ads.
  • Nope. Haven't seen any of that nonsense. Yeah. After football I'm going to cut cable and do the HBO via Prime.

I recommend: Westworld and High Maintenance. (And many more, but good stuff all around.)
  • Naoza said:

SWATrous said:

I'm dubious about amazon prime video as they make you sit through an unskippable (or they did last time I tried it) PURACY IS WRONG BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! message which I found almost as infuriating as ads.
    You can get HBO for the 15 bucks without having to go through Amazon.

https://order.hbonow.com
  • Naoza said:

SWATrous said:

I already have amazon prime, for reasons completely unrelated to streaming video. My complaint comes from checking through it one day and noping right out afterwards.

I'm aware I can get HBO, my sister has it and until now I've mooched off her every time I've needed it, which admittedly has been never.
  • Naoza said:

Naoza said:

SWATrous said:

I already have amazon prime, for reasons completely unrelated to streaming video. My complaint comes from checking through it one day and noping right out afterwards.

I'm aware I can get HBO, my sister has it and until now I've mooched off her every time I've needed it, which admittedly has been never.
    ... then why are you relating it to Amazon Video? For the record you can bundle HBO through many services or just get it straight through Now (or Go I forget which one is which). It's basically just the same as subscribing to it directly, the only difference is that you have one bill instead of two.
  • I've never seen that before watching a video that I saw. I don't remember any ads.
  • MATATAT said:

Naoza said:

Naoza said:

SWATrous said:

... then why are you relating it to Amazon Video? For the record you can bundle HBO through many services or just get it straight through Now (or Go I forget which one is which). It's basically just the same as subscribing to it directly, the only difference is that you have one bill instead of two.
    You get amazon video free with amazon prime, or you did when I tested this.
  • For me the benefit to doing it thru Amazon would be not as much be less billing headache, but I have one less site to browse. I should in theory be able to just use Amazon Prime and see the HBO stuff right along with the rest of the stuff on there I would want to see (or series that I might buy the pass for when all else fails like with Halt and Catch Fire or Steven U.)

But I also thought it was more expensive doing it standalone, like 20-30 so if the price is identical than I guess this doesn't bring much new other than consolidated browsing.
  • SWATrous said:

For me the benefit to doing it thru Amazon would be not as much be less billing headache, but I have one less site to browse. I should in theory be able to just use Amazon Prime and see the HBO stuff right along with the rest of the stuff on there I would want to see (or series that I might buy the pass for when all else fails like with Halt and Catch Fire or Steven U.)

But I also thought it was more expensive doing it standalone, like 20-30 so if the price is identical than I guess this doesn't bring much new other than consolidated browsing.

I could be wrong but I don't think this is the case. I think you still need to use Now separately.
  • MATATAT said:

I could be wrong but I don't think this is the case. I think you still need to use Now separately.

Nope, it's actually right in the Prime Video interface. I activated the free trial to check it out. You can go to Channels tab on the Prime Video browser and a ton of HBO categories come up with stuff to choose from (series, movies, sports, etc). So, otherwise its the same GUI and experience as if it wasn't HBO on Prime and in some searches and stuff they're integrated as one and the same. I typed in Game of Thrones into my amazon search and the option was there up top to go watch it now or add to watchlist and so on.

• Finished Stranger Things last night. I really enjoyed It. I mean it.

I was initially concerned that the constant 80's movie references were going to be too annoying, but thankfully it stayed at the right level of fun and interesting, and not overwhelmingly stupid like in Ready Player One.
  • edited December 2016
    Oh Luke, I just listened to your reviews of the first two phases of Marvel, I noticed you didn't see Agent Carter? Is it just because it's hard to acquire? Cause that show seems to have all the aspects you wanted in the early Marvel stuff. Wasn't sure why you skipped it. (also Agents of Shield is really using a lot of stuff that was established in Agent Carter)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Mostly it wasn't available easily. I didn't consciously skip it for any reason. We'll get to it at some point.
  • Finished Stranger Things last night. I really enjoyed It. I mean it.

I was initially concerned that the constant 80's movie references were going to be too annoying, but thankfully it stayed at the right level of fun and interesting, and not overwhelmingly stupid like in Ready Player One.

Yeah they actually sorta started to tone it down over the episodes. I was fairly concerned from those first two episodes that there was just gonna be a lot of member berries.
  • I tried to watch drunk history. It was painful. The problem isn't necessarily the alcohol (tho I feel it hinders the storytellers as much as it helps), but rather their source material. It's not that Churchill's drinking isn't funny, but it's not the easiest thing to make jokes about, even if you are present in mind.
  • edited December 2016
    Greg said:

I tried to watch drunk history. It was painful. The problem isn't necessarily the alcohol (tho I feel it hinders the storytellers as much as it helps), but rather their source material. It's not that Churchill's drinking isn't funny, but it's not the easiest thing to make jokes about, even if you are present in mind.

In general I don't really find the comedian's haphazard recounts of history to really be amusing. And the variance in quality is just so wide. Some people are kinda amusing because they're good at telling stories or it's the right story for them to tell but some of the others are really lame.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

Greg said:

I tried to watch drunk history. It was painful. The problem isn't necessarily the alcohol (tho I feel it hinders the storytellers as much as it helps), but rather their source material. It's not that Churchill's drinking isn't funny, but it's not the easiest thing to make jokes about, even if you are present in mind.

In general I don't really find the comedian's haphazard recounts of history to really be amusing. And the variance in quality is just so wide. Some people are kinda amusing because they're good at telling stories or it's the right story for them to tell but some of the others are really lame.
    I don't know how that Youtube show became popular.