This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Picketing (aka Fred Phelps is a douche)

2»

Comments

• The best part is the 10 or so Phelps-type people and at least three times as many geeks right next to them.
  • edited July 2010
    Bender is the best.
    Nah, man. The best was, "THE LEGACY VIRUS IS PUNISHMENT FOR MUTIE SINS."

Right, so: I'm going to Comic-Con next year.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • That is pretty epic.
  • I love geeks.
  • Is the woman in the red tshirt with the megaphone holding a sign saying "The penis is a lie."?
  • I love geeks.
    Don't we all?
  • Well done to the SDCC nerds. They completely drew attention away from the crazies.
  • The crazies almost seemed like a background.
    I love geeks.
    QFT
  • And that, I think, is the best way to destroy crazies: mock them until nobody can take them seriously anymore.
  • A victory has been won for free speech. They may continue to speak, but they are totally irrelevant. I just wish people would take a more fun approach to other radicals.
  • edited July 2010
    A victory has been won for free speech. They may continue to speak, but they are totally irrelevant. I just wish people would take a more fun approach to other radicals.
    This sort of counter-protest has been happening more and more, though. What I'd like to see is for something like that to make mainstream news more often.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • I hate to say it, but the Appeals Ct has a point. We'll see what the Supreme Court says.
  • Court probably wasn't the best way to counteract these people. Some kind of gay solidarity gathering might have worked better.
  • Things I never thought I'd say: Fred Phelps has every right to do what he does, as long as it's on public grounds and non-violent.
  • Things I never thought I'd say: Fred Phelps has every right to do what he does, as long as it's on public grounds and non-violent.
    Things I never thought I'd say - Michael Moore had a really good idea, which was honestly smart, funny, and highlighting the genuine horribleness of these people without any falsehood.

(When he took the Big Pink Gay Party Van Across the states to confront Phelps wherever he picketed, including interviewing phelps himself.
  • Well, the Court, as an agent of the government, can't suppress protected speech or religion. However, a private actor isn't bound by the first amendment, and can do whatever the hell they want within the law. The Court has no affirmative duty to make sure Phelps gets a chance to protest. They just can't stop it if it's otherwise lawful.
    It's sometimes hard to remind myself of that.
    It's sometimes hard to remind myself of that.
    "Principles only mean something when you stick to them when its inconvenient."
    -- Author Unknown

Fred Phelps has every right to protest, and I have every right to stand next to him shouting about what a fucktard he is. A double-edged sword, free speech is.
  • I can't wait to see who comes out to protest at Phelps' funeral.