This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DVD burning software

edited August 2006 in Technology
I would like to burn some fansubs for something a friend and I are doing. The problem is I have no idea of what program to use. Could someone suggest a good/easy one free if possible. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I bet you're gonna sell them aren't you... tut tut.
  • I want the same thing to show for my anime club and to my friends cause there to lazy to get um >.
  • I want the same thing to show for my anime club and to my friends cause there to lazy to get um >.<</p>
    If your anime club is a school anime club then you can't show fansubs... well you could but I doubt your school would let you (toooo many legal issues).
  • edited September 2006
    Nah, it's really more of an after school kinda thing. The school ones blows: all they show is Naruto.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Yeah I this for something the Star Wars Club (Sci0fi really) is doing and given the anime club only shows the flavor of the week and not older stuff as we plan to. As for the legal thing my school isn't one to do anything about copyright stuff. They showed the bootleg of Fahrenheit 9/11 and God knows what else over the years.
  • If your anime club is a school anime club then you can't show fansubs... well you could but I doubt your school would let you (toooo many legal issues).
    At RIT, we showed fansubs regularly. The school was well aware of it and allowed us to due to our policies for doing so. We never showed a fansub if any company held a license to distribute that property in the US, if a company asked us not to (it happened once), or if it was clear that the property would be licensed in the near future. Furthermore, we would only show the first four episodes of any given show at most.

The fact that we had a clear, defined policy as to how we would handle fansubs, coupled with our club library's status as an "academic library" and our relationships with the industry, we had no problems.

There's also the matter that it's incredibly difficult for non-US companies to bring any sort of litigation against US citizens for the showing of fansubs barring the existence of a license explicitly for US exhibition/distribution.
  • Nero is the best DVD burning software for Linux and windows. It's not free, but it's worth it.
  • The MIT anime club works pretty much the same way, save that they sometimes show fansubed series all the way through.
  • edited September 2006
    The anime club at the University of Manchester (UK) doesn't show fansubs. I would have thought that copyright laws are followed more strictly in the US since it seems like you Yanks throw lawsuits at each other like there's no tomorrow so the legal liabilities and risks are higher.

edit: oh yeah haven't actually answered the question... I use Nero (v6 I think). I never do any fancy stuff to the DVD's I burn so the simplicity of Nero is good enough for me.
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • I know our club at the University of Iowa pays special heed to domestic releases and licenses but Japanese shows that aren't likely to ever be released in the US, well let's just say I'm a lot less afraid of MadHouse than Funimation. Not that any company is ever likely to notice a club as small as ours. It just never hurts to establish a good relationship with distrubuters that can help you as much as they can hurt you.