This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WWYD?

OroOro
edited September 2006 in Everything Else
What Would You Do?

Have you ever had a moment that causes you to stop and think about your own personal morals and ethics and you had to make a decision right NOW as to how you would decide what kind of person you are or would be?

I won't set the scene, so I'll skip ahead to the good part (which is what you are all waiting for anyway)...

...so the person in front of me in the drive-through ATM slowly pulls away. I drive up and notice that the machine doesn't say "Welcome", it says "Last transaction complete. Would you like another transaction: YES, NO".

I have capitalized the YES and NO because those are the only two options you have in life at this moment. Yes, I would like to have some free money (will they catch me on camera?) or No, I wouldn't want this to happen to me if it ever did.

I pressed the button for No and the machine ejected the card. Although I've done this a zillion times I was dumbstruck that it ejected the card. So for the millisecond I paused and thought, "What the F, now I have this other person's card too!" My brain was already in high gear as I realized that my own transaction would take all of 5.4 seconds to withdraw some money and I decided to do that first and at the least, I would return the previous customers card to the teller in the lobby if I did not catch them in their vehicle

So on the chance that I might actually catch the person and avoid having to go into the bank, I drove out (calmly) and looked for the vehicle in question. With no car in sight, I had the idea that the person may have realized they left the card in the machine and drove around or went into the bank. So I drove around the building and did not see the car. As I was pulling out, I noticed the car backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot adjacent to the bank. They had pulled over after their transaction to gather their paperwork (part of the scene setup was to mention that they took 6 long minutes at the ATM making three or four transactions). I pulled up next to the person's car and showed the ATM card to them through the passenger window.

The first look was classic American - "What the hell are you pulling up next to me in a parking lot for!?" And the second look was classic realization: "Oh shit." followed by what if: "Oh God." and finally relief: "Oh thank you." I got out and returned the card to its owner and another mortal misery was averted.

Do good.

Anyone else have stories to share...

Comments

• What would Yoda do?
  • What would Yoda do?
    Go crazy he would.
  • exact thing happened to me

the lady returned in about 5 minutes and i gave her card back.

i thought about taking money (for a micro second!) - but knew it would bite me in the ass.

besides i think atms have video cameras installed in them anyways.
  • I had a similar situation...
    I was in Amsterdam. I had just arrived. I had almost no cash. (I just use the ATM when I get to a foreign country - it's the best way to change money.) I went to use the ATM in the airport, and for some reason, my card would not work. I tried a couple of other machines with the same result. I had just enough money to get a train ticket to the city center. I figured I would try some other ATMs there, since all of the ATMs at the airport were owned by one bank. To make a long story short, my card wouldn't work downtown either.
    On about my 10th try, I was waiting at an ATM with somebody in front of me using the machine. That person got all frustrated, took their card and walked off. They obviously had a hard time using the machine. I stepped up to the machine to try my card yet again... when low and behold the machine spits out about $100US worth of Dutch currency!
    I made an honest effort to find the guy, but he was long gone in the narrow streets of Amsterdam. I still can't believe that the only time in my life when an ATM did me a "favor" was when I needed the money the most.
    Fortunately, my ATM card worked fine the next day. It turns out that it was something screwy with my bank. I suppose I could have used credit cards, but it was nice not to have to worry about it. Now I make sure to carry some cash wherever I go, so I'm not forced into depending on the ATM.
  • I always carry enough cash to get me through one day. Almost without fail I have some kind of snafu regarding credit cards and atms when I travel. Best I can figure is they see two transactions vast distances from one another on one business day and put a temporary hold on charges to see if you're actually travelling or if someone in California (or Amsterdam) is trying to jack your credit card.
  • I perfer. WWTD personally.
    What would Thor do!

"With my ultimate power of the thunders, I Thor, smash this entire dungeon to shatter ruins, each piece no larger then a man's fist. Then, I return to Asgard to woo goddesses and drink an ocean's worth of beer. Huzzah!"
  • My parents are Christians and they go a Mennonite church, and they were handing out these bumper stickers. Since it was during the time of the Iraqi war, they all said WWJB. Who would Jesus bomb. The funny thing is, my mom and dad actually had the guts to stick on their car. I mean, it was a good sticker I guess, but it lead to all sorts of people writing things on the back of the car. Like, "He'd bomb you!" Or they might say, "Who would Jesus fuck." Cause you have to understand, they're alot of Mennonites in our town who are always pacifists, but they're are also alot of Methodists, Baptists, Catholics, and all those that aren't anti-war. In fact, they almost pro-war in a sense. So collectively, my area is not especially crazy, but they're are those people who are.

Got damn! I hate fucking religion all together.
  • Mennonites? Like Amish? Whoah. And you have a DS? Crazy.
  • edited September 2006
    Hell no man! You see, there are three categories when it comes to "Mennonites". There's mennonite, amish, and holderman. Luckily enough, my parents are mennonite, and they live just like everbody else, except they're pacifists. Thank god I don't have amish or holderman parents, because those are the ones that have the horse and buggy, live out on farms, can't use cars, that's them. Mennonites in general are probably the most liberal denomination in my town. Many agree with allowing abortion, same sex mairrage, all that stuff. In fact, there's a mennonite church by our college that performs gay weddings. Suprising, huh?

That's partially one of the reasons my parents go to that church is because they're liberal, and it was the closest philosophy they could find to what they believe.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • Dude if your looking for a liberal Church look no further then Unitarians.. (lesserly the Lutherians.)