This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guy who hunts Crocodiles not killed by them. Instead Killed by "mostly" harmless Stingray.

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
See link in the post below since apparently I can't post right ^_^

Well, I guess this is one of those headlines you expect to see...

*wonders who I was talking to recently that said Stingrays were harmless?*

Comments

• You need to fix your link

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html
  • When I was on a cruise last year I went swimming with stingrays. I've never heard them described as actually being dangerous.
    Definitely a sad day.
  • edited September 2006
    I liked his shows and I his death came to me as a surprise.
    Indeed it is a sad day.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    THE GUY is called Steve Irwin - and he was an Australian Icon.

The whole country is in mourning...

I'm still in shock.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    wow.... I'm not a big fan of Steve Irwin's programs but anyone that spreads educational knowledge about animals and the natural environment goes high up in my books. Truly a tragic lose.

A stingray sting is extremely painful and often contains a form of toxin. People have been known to get stung on the legs because they stepped onto a stingray by accident. It's possible that Steve Irwin may have aggravated the stingray by touching it or swimming too close to it. The sting that went into his chest may have injected toxins directly into his heart or punctured a lung. Stingrays RARELY attack without being provoked.
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • He was picking the string ray up according to some articles. Wow, I really thought that he was going to be eaten by something.
  • edited September 2006
    He died from either a cardiac arrest when he was stabbed, or when he tried to pull out the barb, he ruptured his aorta.

Not the best explanation, but something along those lines.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • And there's today's lesson, kids: when punctured by something, don't pull it out, remove it the medieval way - get a hammer and smack it straight through the other side.

If only Steve had played that crappy flash game...
  • I was at the Adelaide show, the same place I was when I found out that Princess Diana died. I wish people would stop doing that while I was at the show its freaky.

A friend arrived later (we'd been there most of the day and thereby cut off from news) and we didn't believe her. Steve Irwin doesn't die, that's just crazy.

I couldn't stand the man but fuck, as if he died.
  • A friend arrived later (we'd been there most of the day and thereby cut off from news) and we didn't believe her.
    You know, that happened to me way back when Princess Diana was killed. I was on The Realm tooling around in Leinster when someone in the town square told everyone she was dead. I told my parents, who immediately scoffed. It hit the news about four hours later, and they couldn't believe the networks had been scooped by "some game."

As a funny/sad aside, I knew a player named "Princess Die" who got such a stream of grief from outraged and indignant players over the name that she was forced to delete the character. Thing is, she'd been playing under that name since the Beta, and it had no connection to the death.
  • During 9/11, I was camping in Yellowstone National Park. We didn't know about it until 3 days later. It was totally weird to try to piece together what happened when we tuned into a talk show on our way out of the park.
  • During 9/11, I was camping in Yellowstone National Park. We didn't know about it until 3 days later. It was totally weird to try to piece together what happened when we tuned into a talk show on our way out of the park.
    That had to be crazy weird. I mean it was weird enough when it was going on, but it's almost sounds like the plot to a zombie movie or something.
  • edited September 2006
    The funny thing was that when we first got to Yellowstone, I thought it was weird how we were miles into nature, but you could still see jet contrails in the air. On 9/11 itself, I remember noticing that for the first time, I didn't see any contrails. Little did I know!

The other scary thing was getting home. I was tempted to keep the rental car and drive back to the east coast. As it turned out, we took the first Continental flight out of Denver since 9/11, which was on Sunday. (9/11 was a Tuesday.) That just happened to be our scheduled flight - so we got lucky. Driving from Yellowstone back to Denver was pretty amazing. There were American flags EVERYWHERE. The flight out of Denver had about 25 pilots on it, all of whom had been stranded in Denver. We connected in Newark, and while we walked outside to the commuter jet, you could see smoke still billowing from lower Manhattan. Pretty wild.

Maybe someday I'll tell my story about getting attacked by monkeys in Thailand. That's my best travel story. It's much better told in person, however.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I have a nephew name Zack who literally got bit in the penis by a monkey. (I'm not joking.)
  • I am kind of surprised. Not that the guy died in an attack from an animal, but that he didn't go out in a "blaze of glory". Like being attacked by a pride of lions, or having the lower half of his body bitten off by a croc.
  • No offence but when I found about this, I just looked at my lovely GF straight in the eye said "It's about time." then we laughed for 15 minutes straight.
  • I have a nephew name Zack who literally got bit in the penis by a monkey. (I'm not joking.)
    Email Penn. Now. If you're lucky, Goudeau will tell you to call in and they'll put you on the air for Monkey Tuesday.
  • I can't because I lost my voice recently.
  • John Howard said it was a quinticentially Australian way to die. How the fuck did he come up with that!
  • No offence but when I found about this, I just looked at my lovely GF straight in the eye said "It's about time." then we laughed for 15 minutes straight.
    I thought it was pretty sad, since he leaves a wife and two young kids. However, prior to his death, I never understood why nobody complained about the fact that he basically taunted animals for a living. I mean really... do we really need him to jump on the back of a crocodile in order to show us the animal? I never understood it. It might have made for interesting television, but I don't think the animals were that amused.
  • edited September 2006
    Well then we could say that the animals got together and pulled a assassination attempt on him.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on