This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• If Cricket fucks you, you can take that same phone and go live on T-Mobile immediately.

If you want a cheapass phone, don't discount the old Nexus 5. It's a solid phone.
  • The LG Nexus 5, right? Not that Nexus 5 2015 or whatever?

They're all hovering around or above the price of a brand-new 64GB One.
  • You can get a refurbished LG Nexus 5 for a couple hundred. I've seen them for $200-$250. They'll upgrade to the latest stock Android.

It may not be the best option, but it's a good option that I can personally attest to.

If you want to go super cheap, I have my old Nexus 4. It's perfectly fine except for a cracked screen that needs to be replaced. $50-70 to replace it. You can have the phone if you want.
  • Nah, I could also replace the screen on my current phone, but I'd rather just throw money at a new phone.

I'm frugal, but I ain't poor, and I have more money to throw at something than I have time to fuck with a thing.
  • Moto X just got 5.1.1
  • I've also been looking at the Zenfone 2, which seems to perform almost identically to the OPO and is also compatible with all of the LTE bands in use in the US. I've read that its battery life is shorter than the OPO, though.
  • I'm tempted to get the ifixit iPhone 5 battery replacement kit and replace the battery myself. The instructions and video don't look too bad, and I've replaced iPod batteries in the past.

Does anyone have experience doing this on an iPhone?
  • okeefe said:

I'm tempted to get the ifixit iPhone 5 battery replacement kit and replace the battery myself. The instructions and video don't look too bad, and I've replaced iPod batteries in the past.

Does anyone have experience doing this on an iPhone?

Emily did it. Apparently it worked great.
  • Wow US phone services cost a lot. I thought it would be cheaper than Australia.
    Anyway, I would wait the few days to see if the Oneplus Two is worth it (only if you're a Oneplus fan).

Otherwise get a current flagship phone such as the LG G4 (LG has been replacing most all of its skinned applications with Google's due to all the nexus phones likely linked to making Nexus phones).

Otherwise if you're going for the cheaper route, grab a cheap phone or and then upgrade to the next Nexus phone or Oneplus Two later in the year.
    (Although One Plus One is super cheap and still has a slick design).
  • Yeah, the cheapness is why I zeroed in on a Oneplus One - it's a great value for the price.

I might get one of the free phones through Cricket and wait till the Two comes out. See what the cellphone market is like then.
  • Hold out another few months for the new Nexus or get the Nexus 6 right now if you don't mind the giant phablet.
  • Hold out for iPhone 7 in Fall of 2016.
  • Oh, the N6 is down to $600, I might pick that up myself.
  • I may switch to iPhone this fall.

Or, I'll get an iPad (whatever the new one is) and hold out for a stock Android phone that's roughly the size of the N5.
  • edited June 2015
    This fall is iPad time. Next fall is iPhone time.

Get the big updates, not the little ones.

That being said, Apple is having a problem where even their older devices are still just fine. iPhone 5 is all you need these days. It really gets the job done. Any retina iPad also gets the job done. The only reason I'm going to get an iPad this fall is because I made the mistake of buying one with not enough storage space because I didn't want Apple to rip me off. I guess they have the last laugh.

Anyone want a 16GB Retina wifi-only iPad mini later this year? The only thing wrong with it is that it is only 16GB.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hold out another few months for the new Nexus or get the Nexus 6 right now if you don't mind the giant phablet.

I was already looking at a phablet anyhow. I like giant phones, personally.

I can spend $600 on a phone, but I'd prefer not to. So it would take a wicked fucking shiny phone to convince me to do so. Right now, I'm looking in the mid-priced sweet spot - $300 - $350 is what I'd like to spend, because my Cricket savings will pay that off in a year.

Then again, I'm probably going to keep it for 4 years, most likely, and $600 would be paid off in 2...

• I've been thinking about this a lot, and I've noticed a very strong correlation.

There appear to me to be two main classes of people who use very large smartphones.

1. Old people (45+)
    2. People who drive everywhere (as opposed to walking/biking/mass transit)
  • Don't forget "people who are bored at work and want to carry a handheld game system but aren't allowed to."
  • Don't forget "people who are bored at work and want to carry a handheld game system but aren't allowed to."

I would just straight carry an iPad for that.
  • Apreche said:

Anyone want a 16GB Retina wifi-only iPad mini later this year? The only thing wrong with it is that it is only 16GB.

Yeah, I go thru iPads like shoes. I have a 64GB that I'll be giving to Jeremy once I get the new 64GB one. As for his 16GB Retina, I'll more than likely give it to my brother.

I am on the same boat with Scott. Getting the iPhone 7 when my Edge or whatever Verizon thing is available. However, I honestly regret losing my grandfathered unlimited data plan. But very soon, it won't be an issue because most of my data is used when I'm at work. Working from home very soon. Very soon.
  • Rym said:

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I've noticed a very strong correlation.

There appear to me to be two main classes of people who use very large smartphones.

1. Old people (45+)
    2. People who drive everywhere (as opposed to walking/biking/mass transit)

I just ordered the Nexus 6, and yes I generally drive everywhere. Personally I think the phablet form factor will suit my phone usage well, but if not it's now cheap enough that I wouldn't mind just using it as a tablet around my house.
  • edited June 2015
    Yeah, I have a new contract coming up soon. I'm figuring it'll likely be Nexus 6(Another in the drive everywhere crowd - walking anywhere in this city is pretty much a joke outside of the CBD, and driving is even with or cheaper than public transport) or if that's unavailable on any decent contract even after the usual polite browbeating, Galaxy S6.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Rym said:

Don't forget "people who are bored at work and want to carry a handheld game system but aren't allowed to."

Yeah, but I would rather carry one mid-sized device than a small device and a large device.

• Rym said:

Don't forget "people who are bored at work and want to carry a handheld game system but aren't allowed to."

Yeah, but I would rather carry one mid-sized device than a small device and a large device.
    And to take it one step further, use a peeble to check notifications so I don't have to take my phone out unless I need to use it.
  • Next Nexus is rumoureed to be coming out in 2 sizes, a 5" and a larger than 5"
    Churba said:

or if that's unavailable on any decent contract even after the usual polite browbeating, Galaxy S6.

LG G4 if you want to opt out of Touchwiz.
  • Eh, not that fussed about touchwiz. It's super easy to disable entirely - You either factory-reset your phone and don't agree to samsung's terms and conditions(in which case, it never activates Touchwiz features), or you can simply install the Google Now launcher over the top and have it take over all those features.

That said, Touchwiz mostly never bothered me, except for the constant calendar updates.
  • The Nexus 6 is big, and I need a case. There's also a weird thing with new Nexus devices where if you run the initial setup with a SIM installed it will install apps and things from that carrier. They're only from the Google Play Store so they're easy to remove. The weird thing is that when I setup the phone with the AT&T SIM it wouldn't pull OS updates, like it was waiting to be chosen for a OTA. Unlocked the bootloader and reset the phone with no SIM and now it's just straight Google again and pulled all the updates no problem. Updated to 5.1.1. B-)
  • The Nexus 6 is big, and I need a case. There's also a weird thing with new Nexus devices where if you run the initial setup with a SIM installed it will install apps and things from that carrier. They're only from the Google Play Store so they're easy to remove. The weird thing is that when I setup the phone with the AT&T SIM it wouldn't pull OS updates, like it was waiting to be chosen for a OTA. Unlocked the bootloader and reset the phone with no SIM and now it's just straight Google again and pulled all the updates no problem. Updated to 5.1.1. B-)

I pressed the update button. It updated. My carrier has no control over the apps on my phone.
  • The Nexus 6 is (maybe off by a couple millimeters) the size of the iPhone 6 Plus.
  • Apreche said:

The Nexus 6 is big, and I need a case. There's also a weird thing with new Nexus devices where if you run the initial setup with a SIM installed it will install apps and things from that carrier. They're only from the Google Play Store so they're easy to remove. The weird thing is that when I setup the phone with the AT&T SIM it wouldn't pull OS updates, like it was waiting to be chosen for a OTA. Unlocked the bootloader and reset the phone with no SIM and now it's just straight Google again and pulled all the updates no problem. Updated to 5.1.1. B-)

I pressed the update button. It updated. My carrier has no control over the apps on my phone.
    Congrats on having an iPhone Scott.