This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Take the Pledge - Never say "Retard" Again.

Comments

• When someone is bothered by use of specific words, regardless of context or intent, that's a clear indicator that they are not so bright.
    Therefore, if someone is offended by such comments, they are either trying to be offended, or they are severely lacking in language skills.
    Pretty much these. Most intelligent people, i.e. the ones you want to be around, don't care what words you use, only how you use them.
    "What's up my niggers...?"
    Back in college, there was a group of us engineers who were living in a few apartments in the same complex. A couple of the guys in our group are black. But we threw around the word "nigger" all the time because they were smart and understood that we meant it in the same way as "bro" or "homie". It was always amusing though when other people outside our circle would hear us use it around them. I won't deny it makes a lot of people very uncomfortable, even if they can see it doesn't bother any of us.
  • I won't deny it makes a lot of people very uncomfortable, even if they can see it doesn't bother any of us.
    It only makes most people feel uncomfortable because they have been conditioned to feel that way by the politically correct folks.
  • When someone is bothered by use of specific words,
    How about, "I'm going to fucking kill you, kike?" You should probably be bothered by someone saying that to you in person. Y'know, what with the expressed intent to kill and such.
  • cunning linguists
    See, I almost read that as a dirty word, so that supports the theory.
    How is that word dirty? I consider that word to be fan-fucking-tastic. ;)

I know the British Government bans words all the time. Tiger Woods got a ticket for saying how he Spazzed out. Most of the banned words are sluts against the physically or mental handicapped. Now they have Plans to ban the word 'obese' to avoid offending overweight children. But how will the chubby little fog breathers know when they've tipped the scales past being a little 'Big Boned' over to the side of "full fatass" unless we can tell them? Should we pay Jamie Oliver to slap the sweets out of their pudgy little cookie grabber???
  • edited September 2010
    I won't deny it makes a lot of people very uncomfortable, even if they can see it doesn't bother any of us.
    It only makes most people feel uncomfortable because they have been conditioned to feel that way by the politically correct folks.
    Is it, as some have opined, the most powerful word in the language? What about "niggardly"?

Does "cunt" have any special offensive power? I can remember when "bitch" was just as offensive. It wasn't that long ago.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Should we pay Jamie Oliver to slap the sweets out of their pudgy little cookie grabber???
    I would pay money to see that. "Jamie Oliver stars in Taking Candy From Children, only on Food Network."
  • Shit, dude. I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of shit before I ate another plate of meecrob.
  • cunning linguists
    See, I almost read that as a dirty word, so that supports the theory.
    I once used that phrase in conversation without it being a forced joke. I think it was a Boo-Yah of mine a few months ago. It helped that I was chatting with a linguist on whom I've performed oral sex.
  • Back on topic, what about the sciences? There are many times where I've described the growth of an organism as "retarded" because of the presence of an inhibitor. It's a completely accurate use of the word.
  • I won't deny it makes a lot of people very uncomfortable, even if they can see it doesn't bother any of us.
    People are getting the PC beat into their heads so early now that in some kids, you'll actually see fear association to people of other races, because they do not want to make a mistake and do something offensive.

If the first thing that comes to your head when you encounter someone is "OK, I'm not supposed to do X,Y,and Z" it is damn near impossible to act naturally.
  • Back on topic, what about the sciences? There are many times where I've described the growth of an organism as "retarded" because of the presence of an inhibitor. It's a completely accurate use of the word.
    In music, a suspended note that resolves up by a step is called a "retardation". Accurate use as well.
    Back on topic, what about the sciences? There are many times where I've described the growth of an organism as "retarded" because of the presence of an inhibitor. It's a completely accurate use of the word.
    The organism has "special needs."
    Really though, in that context the only people who could be offended are those who take offense at the word regardless of who is using it or how it's used.
  • Should we pay Jamie Oliver to slap the sweets out of their pudgy little cookie grabber???
    I would pay money to see that. "Jamie Oliver stars inTaking Candy From Children, only on Food Network."
    Me too, but I feel it would be better on the Travel Channel. This way he could his judgmental attitude globally. One week he's in uppity jerk China and next week he's being an annoying twat in Tennessee. They should save his trip to South Africa for Sweeps Week.
    I once used that phrase in conversation without it being a forced joke. I think it was a Boo-Yah of mine a few months ago. It helped that I was chatting with a linguist on whom I've performed oral sex.
    Niiiiice...

This is why science chose Latin for the nameology of things. It's a dead language. The meanings of words doesn't change. Calling someone a dog can mean they're ugly, horny, dirty, needy,,, but Canis lupus familiaris now and will always means Dog.
  • Does "cunt" have any special offensive power? I can remember when "bitch" was just as offensive. It wasn't that long ago.
    I can't think of any nice ways to use the word Cunt. Maybe if it an inside joke of some sort?
  • I know the British Government bans words all the time.
    Didn't the UK stage a reenactment of The Battle of the Spanish Armada a while back, but instead of identifying English and Spanish ships, they called them "Red" and "Blue" so that no Spanish guys could be offended?
  • edited September 2010
    I can't think of any nice ways to use the word Cunt. Maybe if it an inside joke of some sort?
    "I love you just the way you are, Cunt." Yep, that's the nicest sentence I can think of with cunt in it.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Does "cunt" have any special offensive power? I can remember when "bitch" was just as offensive. It wasn't that long ago.
    People used to think the same thing of "bitch".
    People used to think the same thing of "bitch".
    I look forward to one day calling my friend a silly cuntcake.
  • Bitch has other uses and meanings. Cunt really only means cunt. Maybe that will change over time too.
  • How about "Oh, what a nice cunt you have!"
  • People used to think the same thing of "bitch".
    The bitch's pedigree shows through with every step. /dogshowquote
    Proof that Scott doesn't have a girlfriend.
  • Someone should start a twitter for ShitScottSays
  • In music, a suspended note that resolves up by a step is called a "retardation". Accurate use as well.
    Its actually "ritard" or "ritardando." Slight spelling difference, same meaning. A few sources use "e" instead of "i", but music students (in my experience anyway) were carefully taught NOT to accidentally say "retard" when referring to music.

Sorry, I had to music geek out a bit. >_>
    Proof that Scott doesn't have a girlfriend.
    Yup.
  • Its actually "ritard" or "ritardando." Slight spelling difference, same meaning. A few sources use "e" instead of "i", but music students (in my experience anyway) were carefully taught NOT to accidentally say "retard" when referring to music.

Different ritard/retard. He is referring to this.
  • Its actually "ritard" or "ritardando." Slight spelling difference, same meaning. A few sources use "e" instead of "i", but music students (in my experience anyway) were carefully taught NOT to accidentally say "retard" when referring to music.

Different ritard/retard. He is referring tothis.
    Well no ones ever used that term around me then. So there. :P
    All the better to... no I'm not making that joke.
    It's been done.
    It's been done.
    Actually you can find it here: Shit Scott Says.