This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A calling to all video viewing devices!

edited September 2010 in Technology
Hello everyone, I am need of some help and it involves this video:

Video Survey

I am in need of going and testing blip.tv HTML5 and flash mechanisms on multiple devices. For those who do not know Blip quietly added HTML 5 support to its video player, so to ensure that a video can be on any device whether or not it is done via flash need to test it out. So on the video it will play a different message depending on what format you are using. To all those out there that have a smart phone, or another device to view online videos, let me know what format it is and if it works or not.

Also you may need to enable HTML 5 video to see their formats, all you need to do is click the "Play in HTML 5" and hit yes for it to save the changes for you. Hopefully it will work for every device since I think I narrowed it down. If you can post your results here that be great, thank you again.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I got MPEG4 video. Running Chrome 6.0.472 on Win764.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Firefox gets the .ogg as expected. Can't wait till Firefox 4 is out with its WebM.
  • Totally works on this iphone4. Works really really well.
    I suppose the iPhone Safari uses hardware acceleration, which I hope they get into Chrome as soon as possible.

Fuck flash.
    Actually Blip has been keeping up with the iPhone in many ways, including a very interesting hack on the flash player to trick the iPhone in thinking it is a native format, hopefully I can get some more information to see ways I can improve upon it.

Also I am stumped on the Wii browser, since it is an old opera version and since flash is severely out of date on it I cant find that one format to make it work as of yet.
  • Android Browser (Android 2.2 CyanogenMod on HTC Hero):
    Video Not Displayed. Audio Says the format in use is MPEG-4.
  • On a only slightly unrealted note, what do you guys view video files with? I have Divx player right now, but sometimes there are problems that make me think that more tech savvy people may have a better alternative.

P.S. Any solution must be able to play .avi and .mkv file formats.
  • edited September 2010
    SPlayer is a pretty snazzy front end for MPlayer on Windows. I very much like the GPU acceleration.
    Portable version is 8.7MB.

On Linux, which I haven't used in a while, I go with Gnome-Mplayer.
  • P.S. Any solution must be able to play .avi and .mkv file formats.
    mplayer. Disregard the post above.
  • If you like janky broken interfaces, mplayer all the way.
  • If you like no interface at all, mplayer all the way.
    edited September 2010
    If you like janky broken interfaces, mplayer all the way.
    Go buy a new keyboard if it's broken dude.

EDIT: To be fair, really, why the fuck would you need any GUI front end? You're watching a fucking video. Double click the file and just fucking watch. Pause? Hit space. Continue? Hit space. Stop? Hit Esc. You don't need more than that. Let alone a crappy front end like gnome-mplayer.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited September 2010
    Maturity.. one day.

Anyway, progShell, try SPlayer, if it has too many unnecessary features, like pause and play buttons, give raw MPlayer a go.
  • Maturity.. one day.
    Stop wishing, everyone already resigned to the fact that you'll never grow up.
  • Not gonna happen.
  • I use VLC. The rest of you are wrong.
  • Nineless.. whe.. when did they turn you into a hipster?!
  • I use VLC, too, and the only time I have ever had a problem was when I was trying to stream a nuzlocke run. Other than that, I've watched many a cartoon on it without any type of failure. I don't understand the problems.
    edited September 2010
    Nineless.. whe.. when did they turn you into a hipster?!
    Nobody did. I wasn't around to screencap that shit myself. Now go fuck off back to school, you forgot how to write today.
    I use VLC, too, and the only time I have ever had a problem was when I was trying to stream a nuzlocke run. Other than that, I've watched many a cartoon on it without any type of failure. I don't understand the problems.
    It's programmed like elephantcrap on a hot Sunday, its codecs were fucking horrendous and failed left and right trying to properly decode everything. Since then they finally just fucking realized they also should be using FFMpeg's, like every other media player worth its salt. It's still shit though. You don't need any buttons to click on. As for VLC's one feature that it started with, streaming audio and video, yes that too is shit as you've discovered.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Both .flv and .mov work great in Safari on Mac. The .ogg also plays in Safari but it is a bit choppy. Safari 4 on OS X 10.6 if you must know.
  • Got the .FLV on Firefox 3.6.10, running Mac OS 10.6.4. My iPhone 3G got the MPEG4 version, running iOS 4.1. Both had video and audio working fine.
  • Nineless.. whe.. when did they turn you into a hipster?!
    Nobody did. I wasn't around to screencap that shit myself. Now go fuck off back to school, you forgot how to write today.
    What part wasn't correct? Seemed like trying to inject some voice into his writing.
    I use VLC, too, and the only time I have ever had a problem was when I was trying to stream a nuzlocke run. Other than that, I've watched many a cartoon on it without any type of failure. I don't understand the problems.
    It's programmed like elephantcrap on a hot Sunday, its codecs were fucking horrendous and failed left and right trying to properly decode everything. Since then they finally just fucking realized they also should be using FFMpeg's, like every other media player worth its salt. It's still shit though. You don't need any buttons to click on. As for VLC's one feature that it started with, streaming audio and video, yes that too is shit as you've discovered.
    Well, thanks for explaining, but I don't understand your need to shit on a player because it has some sort of visual for you. I like that, but it's just a preference. And that's the only place it's been shit in, and that's because the LiveStream client wants to keep changing how Windows 7 operates for no reason (to me).
  • edited September 2010
    Nineless is just being his usual tsundere self. Pay him little heed.
  • It's programmed like elephantcrap on a hot Sunday
    How oddly specific.
  • Hmm... it appears I had success with a combination of FLV, OGG, and MP4 however there are some devices that are baffling to me like the wii and android. Anyone have any information into what formats they like to use?
  • edited October 2010
    A mini update if you will, it appears that the Wii DSi platforms have been solved with the use of 3GP (or so said the Internet when looking into this issue). Therefore the magic video making combination now becomes FLV, OGG, MP4, 3GP. Also with the announcement of Google TV it appears that my choice of blip is proving to be a good one since they are already integrated with it. Thoughts?

Edit: Scratch that Wii and DSi have a out of date version of flash won't work.
    Post edited by Coldguy on