This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101004 - The Mysterious Electron

edited October 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider projects involving tricking electrons into doing physical things beyond the lighting of pixels. Such things may previously have been mysteries to most. But, before that, we consider the future of statistical analysis of people on the Internet and the new Arduinos.

Download MP3

Comments

• Scott's thing links to BoingBoing root. You probably mean this video:
  • That thing of the day is my favorite frog based street puppetry I've seen since the summer of 1997.
  • It is funny the reason my parents never let me do electronics was due to making a make shift burglar alarm, since then I wish I had soldering skills need to find a group and get back into it myself.
  • edited October 2010
    I do hope that when Scott makes his LED thermometer, it will occasionally scroll the words "WOMAN!" or "Warm today." across it.

Also, when you were talking about making kits that are very obviously meant to be extended, someone needs to make that for vidjagaems.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I do hope that when Scott makes his LED thermometer, it will occasionally scroll the words "WOMAN!" or "Warm today." across it.
    Genius. Why didn't I think of this already?
    Also, when you were talking about making kits that are very obviously meant to be extended, someone needs to make that for vidjagaems.
    Yeah, that already exists.
  • I really thought that there was finally a online gaydar.............

Friggin MIT
  • I do hope that when Scott makes his LED thermometer, it will occasionally scroll the words "WOMAN!" or "Warm today." across it.
    Genius. Why didn't I think of this already?
    Perspective from the outside in.
  • edited October 2010
    How about using photodiodes for the DDR pad ? Cheap solid-state sensor.
    Post edited by tiago.bonetti on
  • So, uh...

How do I fucking solder?
  • The discussion about kids' education reminded me of a company a FoaF started: NerdKits.

The last time I soldered something was putting together a Make project.
  • The discussion about kids' education reminded me of a company a FoaF started:NerdKits.
    Those kits are basically the same as Arduino. The only difference is that Arduino will give you an ATMega on a board all hooked up. These guys just give you the ATMega on its own and expect you to stick it in a solderless breadboard to use directly.
  • I really thought that there was finally a online gaydar.............

Friggin MIT
    No - But there's an App for that.
  • No - But there's an App for that.
    Wasn't that the one you found recommended in the business section?

It just occurred to me that homophobic bosses might download it to try and find people in their staff.
  • It just occurred to me that homophobic bosses might download it to try and find people in their staff.
    Considering the rate at which homophobes end up being gay themselves, this would be hilarious.
  • edited October 2010
    Middle management gets a gaydar only to find out that most of upper management is gay. Entire company discovers entire company is equally represented, extends all perks to all partners. Everyone ends up happy.
    IT WOULD BE ANARCHY!!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Man, the biggest problem with being a nerd is that while I know a whole lot of stuff, every time I talk to other nerds with other science specialties, instead of just being uninterested in things I don't know about like most people would, I'm fascinated and curious and just feel stupid for not knowing everything.

I'm a biologist. I don't know how to fucking solder. I don't know what a rheostat is. I don't even remember basic electricity physics. I certainly don't know how to program anything beyond high school level C++ and a little MATLAB. I has a sad.
  • edited October 2010
    Wasn't that the one you found recommended in the business section?
    imageimage
    Post edited by Churba on