This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

This. QFT.

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
I agree with this:

* Don’t rely on other people to remove your totally fake “distractions.”
* Don’t rely on other people to pat your beret, re-tie your cravat, and make you a nice cocoa whenever that mean man on the internet points out that your “distractions” are totally fake. (Which they are)
* Don’t rely on other people to tell you when or whether you have enough information.
* Don’t rely on other people to define your job.
* Don’t rely on other people to “design your lifestyle.”
* Don’t rely on other people to decide when your opinions are acceptable.
* Don’t rely on other people to tell you when you're allowed to be awesome.
* Don’t rely on other people to make you care.
* Don’t even rely on other people to tell you what you should or shouldn’t rely on.

Because, yeah: all of these harrowingly unsolvable problems are immune to new notebooks and less-distracting applications and shinier systems and “nicer” self-“help” and pretty much anything else that is not, specifically, you walking straight into the angriest and least convenient shitstorm you can find and getting your ass kicked until the storm gets bored with kicking it.

Then, you find an even angrier storm. Then, another. And, so on.

All that and more from an epic blog post by Merlin Mann.

Comments

• Could you at least have gone with a description in the subject line?
    Courage Burrage needs no subject line.
  • Wow, that was some grade-A ego masturbation right there. Maybe it's the scientist in me, but it seems to me that the majority of that post was needless fluff. He could've, and should've, gone straight to the point. Yes, I agree with his whole "you can't just read the list of points and get the idea" thing, but for fuck's sake, you can write more concisely than that.

I actually liked his parody of the "distraction-free writing environment" software far more. It made its point far more elegantly.

Still a useful post. Summary is necessary.
  • TL/DR: got distracted.
    I thought it was a good thread subject. Many people start a blog post by quoting something and saying "This." They sometimes clarify the quoted text, but just saying "This" is enough to show that the words were taken out of their own mouth. I could have called it "QFT" but I hate TLA's.
  • fuck's sake, you can write more concisely than that
    Yup! That's why I posted the relevant bit here, and not just linked to it as a thing of the day. For someone who doesn't want people to waste time, he certainly, um, wastes people's time.
  • Feeling like you're accomplishing something and actually accomplishing something are different things, but many people can't tell the difference. They get the same tiny serotonin rush from both.
  • edited October 2010
    Feeling like you're accomplishing something and actually accomplishing something are different things, but many people can't tell the difference.
    This is one of the reasons I like to brew beer. It is unforgiving in marking your level of accomplishment. Did it come out tasting like chloraseptic spray? If so, ya done fucked up. There's no spinning it. Did it taste amazing? That was all you. You will know when you've actually accomplished something when brewing.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I don't understand what the fuck is going on here.
  • I don't understand what the fuck is going on here.
    This. QFT.
  • tfuckingl;dr
  • This thread should be locked.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • Sink, sink, sink.
    dishwasher