This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NERF (or other other foam projectile weapon)

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
I did a search and I couldn't believe that there wasn't a Nerf thread.

Who here is into Nerf? I am crazy into Nerf right now.
IMG_20101010_171627
Currently I have the following (from top row to bottom row): Longshot, Recon, Titan, Maverick, and Scout. All of them, except the Titan and the Recon (which I just got today) have had the air restrictors removed. They all also use the streamlined darts, though the maverick and the scout are capable of using classic suction cup darts as well.

I'm thinking of getting the Deploy and the Longstrike soon, but the Barricade is coming out in November, so I might hold out and see what's up with that. I mean, I'm not crazy about the whole flywheel thing, but I've gotta at least check it out.

Comments

• I have a Maverick and my daughter has a Recon. Not so sure about the ones that require batteries.
  • I have a Maverick, but I REALLY want to get a Longshot.
  • A missle launcher? Seriously?
  • The people on the RIT campus are crazy into HvZ, so they're crazy into nerf guns. I may do HvZ in the spring, but I wasn't feeling it for the fall...
  • I have a Maverick, but I REALLY want to get a Longshot.
    If you want a clip loaded rifle, go with the Longstrike instead. Lighter, looks better, the stock holds two extra clips instead of just one, and (from what I hear) is more solidly built. I bought my Longshot a while ago and, while it still performs beautifully, it makes a lot of noise.
    A missle launcher? Seriously?
    I'm not going to lie, it's largely impractical for use in combat, but it's hellishly intimidating to the other team.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not going to lie, it's largely impractical for use in combat, but it's hellishly intimidating to the other team.
    I don't get it, do you use this NERF stuff for some sort of game outside of HvZ?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited October 2010
    I don't get it, do you use this NERF stuff for some sort of game outside of HvZ?
    Yeah. A bunch of my friends and I get together every once in a while and fight. Actually, there is no HVZ on our campus. There was going to be one a one point, but it never actually started up. I'll probably get it going for next semester.

Actually, I've been seeing a few people on campus with those nerf swords. We might have to do something about them.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Yeah. A bunch of my friends and I get together every once in a while and fight.
    Why don't do something like air soft or paintball? NERF doesn't seem like it would be that fun because the range is extremely limited and the projectile flight patterns are less than desirable...
  • but it's hellishly intimidating to the other team.
    The other team must be really stupid. It's gotta be so slow and useless. Also, I wouldn't risk firing it just in case I never see that big foam missile again.
  • I don't get it, do you use this NERF stuff for some sort of game outside of HvZ?
    Shooting your roommates. That's what I like to do a lot.
  • Yeah. A bunch of my friends and I get together every once in a while and fight.
    Why don't do something like air soft or paintball? NERF doesn't seem like it would be that fun because the range is extremely limited and the projectile flight patterns are less than desirable...
    ...And you have to track down the ammo afterwards. Yeah, I know. It was really a matter of "we all have a bunch NERF already, and cool looking airsoft guns are relatively expensive".
    but it's hellishly intimidating to the other team.
    The other team must be really stupid. It's gotta be so slow and useless. Also, I wouldn't risk firing it just in case I never see that big foam missile again.
    Well, your head might think that, but your inner 10 year old sees that bazooka and thinks "Shit! Run!". And our fights are almost always indoors, so it's not like the thing will get lost. Besides, nothing give you more satisfaction that firing that big foam missile and having it thump a guy right in the chest, knocking him down.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • thump a guy right in the chest, knocking him down.
    Does it really shoot that hard/fast? I can't imagine actually being so slow or unaware as to actually get hit by it.
  • edited October 2010
    It is pretty fast and, while it doesn't hit hard enough to actually hurt, if you catch a guy off guard with it, the shock of it will knock him down. If you see it coming, though, you can dodge it pretty easily.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It is pretty fast and, while it doesn't hit hard enough to actually hurt, if you catch a guy off guard with it, the shock of it will knock him down. If you see it coming, though, you can dodge it pretty easily.
    If I catch it and throw it back, does that count?
  • When I arrived home from school last Christmas, my dad had this surprise waiting for me.
  • I have heard of people modifying their nerf weapons with more powerful springs to get increased velocities for the projectiles, maybe this is something you could do for the missile there? ^__^
  • It is pretty fast and, while it doesn't hit hard enough to actually hurt, if you catch a guy off guard with it, the shock of it will knock him down. If you see it coming, though, you can dodge it pretty easily.
    If I catch it and throw it back, does that count?
    Yes, plus 2 points if you can do it in one smooth motion, plus 3 if it hits someone. We call those "badass rewards".
    When I arrived home from school last Christmas, my dad had this surprise waiting for me.
    How do you like it? I heard the Vulcan jams a lot.
  • edited October 2010
    I have heard of people modifying their nerf weapons with more powerful springs to get increased velocities for the projectiles, maybe this is something you could do for the missile there? ^__^
    My dad does this with epic results! Hence why he's always ambushing me at home.
    How do you like it? I heard the Vulcan jams a lot.
    It's awesome for an unexpected first strike, but seeing as it's not the most portable thing, it's not really practical for a battle in the long run. The thing it really has going for it is its speed. It shoots about 25 darts in 10 seconds, so you can definitely get some good hits in, regardless of how good your aim is. I suppose you could find a good sniper spot and just pummel people from there, but it's not like it's the most subtle thing so you'll get return fire pretty quick. X) As for it jamming, we had problems with that at first and found that as long as you hold the ammo belt horizontally as you feed it into the Vulcan, it works just fine.
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • I have heard of people modifying their nerf weapons with more powerful springs to get increased velocities for the projectiles, maybe this is something you could do for the missile there? ^__^
    My dad does this with epic results! Hence we he's always ambushing me at home.
    I modify my guns as well. Haven't gone as far as to up the springs, but I haven't really had the need.
  • I also have the Vulcan. I think it broke/jammed because something was wrong with it and I stopped using it.
  • Can you post info on what springs he used? Is there a good resource online for this?
  • Can you post info on what springs he used? Is there a good resource online for this?
    NERF Mod on Instructables would be a good place to start ^^
  • I know some people mod their guns by just adding rubber bands to them.
    I really like nerf but the whole picking up ammo thing really is what keeps me from getting into it. I would start getting them anyway but they are too damn expensive for how much I really want them. I'd really like to get into serious airsoft but most semi or full-auto guns are either cheap plastic shit or as expensive as a real gun.
  • There was a sale (but one get one 50% off) at Toys-R-Us this weekend so I picked up some Nerf guns for the kids.

I have to say that I am disappointed with the Longstrike. It does not shoot any further than the other Nerf guns.

The one with the drum is cool and it came with a an extra drum and ammo for no extra charge!

The Furyfire (dart tag) guns seem to be more powerful than the regular guns. So powerful in fact that shooting at a target from 10 feet away often results in darts bouncing off the target or vibrations knocking previously affixed darts off of the target.

I expect my daughter and some of her friends to have a mini Nerf war next weekend.
  • I'm going to build a pneumatic Nerf gun that uses a solenoid and a PVC air tank to blast punk bitches.
  • Ah, the Stampede. Nerf Vulcan 2.0.
  • I'm probably going to get one.
  • I'm probably going to get one.
    Wait. There is a semi-Automatic revolver coming soon.