This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTH do I do with a Borders gift card?

2»

Comments

• It's the same reason why I cringed at buying Dirt2 at the gamestop, but didn't think twice at buying from steam
    A lot of steam games will let you enter the key from a boxed copy to get the game on Steam. I did that with Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2.
  • $30 will get you just about the entirety ofthis;
    Or, you could get the entire 50 years of MAD magazine on DVD.
  • Or, you could get the entire 50 years of MAD magazine on DVD.
    That's pretty legit. No lie.
  • I don't buy books (Kindle, Library)
    Don't you have a book you really love? I'd get a nice edition of one of my favorite novels. On the other hand, don't listen to me. Books are my one weak spot. I rarely shop for clothing, but books drain my wallet.
    If that's the case, why not buy a Kindle? It solves the stupid problem of books taking up space in any capacity. Plus, if your Kindle breaks, everything you bought is kept on a cloud.
  • If that's the case, why not buy a Kindle?
    Because fuck that noise. Bibliophiles: Paper4lyfe.
  • Because fuck that noise. Bibliophiles: Paper4lyfe.
    Papermasters4life!

Also the Kindle/Nook/Sony E-reader can't get all the manga English or Japanese version, yet. So buying books is worth it. Plus I don't think I could imagine reading a comic on them, unless the screen can be as large as the comic.
  • Whatever, I know you like the kindle, but I'm waiting for the next iteration. Also, not everything I read is on the kindle you realize. There's still a lot in print that I need to get in hard copy.
    I'll keep on using the library.
  • New.Book.Smell.

I will never get tired of that.
  • New.Book.Smell.

I will never get tired of that.
    I like old book smell, too.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    Whatever, I know you like the kindle, but I'm waiting for the next iteration. Also, not everything I read is on the kindle you realize.
    I'll keep on using the library.
    I'll be the last person to say that it is frustrating that the Kindle Store does not have all the things I would like to read. Not to sound like I'm badgering, but what do you personally want in the Kindle that the current iteration does not currently feature?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'd like a kindle or some sort of e-reader, but I honestly don't plan to buy a ton of books on it. I mean there are always the ones that are just so cheap that it doesn't even matter, but when some e-books are $10 or $15 I'd rather just buy the actual book and pirate the e-book so I can take it with me more easily. I still say amazon should give you a code or something when you buy a book from them so that you can just download the e-book for free from the kindle store.
  • I like old book smell, too.
    I don't read often, but when I do, I get old books for that smell.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever owned a real, new, not-second-hand book. All the books on my shelf, while they are few, are all from Half-Price Books, Austin's local second-hand bookstore. So, while I love the smell of opening one of those books, I don't have anything to compare it to.

Unless old book smell is something else.
  • Half-Price Books
    Half-Price is so awesome it makes me want to cry. One opened over the summer in my hometown. They have this huge selection of old pulp and sci-fi; I got more or less all of the Lensman series there for less than $10, and two beautiful hardcovers comprising the entire Elric saga for $5 each.

Also, Gordon Ramsay's "Cooking for Friends" for $10, and the NY Times cookbook for $2.50.
  • Because fuck that noise. Bibliophiles: Paper4lyfe.
    I don't know, I was forced by poorness to either switch to digital, or stop reading - I have a Palm Pilot Tungsten TX that I have read hundreds of books on, and I read on my computer and iPhone, too. I still have a legion of Paper books - In fact, the very first thing I moved into my new place over in Sailisbury was three boxes of books, and a bookcase - but digital is convenient, easy to carry, and certainly an enormous asset.
  • Also the Kindle/Nook/Sony E-reader can't get all the manga English or Japanese version, yet. So buying books is worth it. Plus I don't think I could imagine reading a comic on them, unless the screen can be as large as the comic.
    I've been re-reading Bartender on my kindle. It's great.
  • I've been re-reading Bartender on my kindle. It's great.
    What is this? A comic? Simple googling didn't help me.
  • I've been re-reading Bartender on my kindle. It's great.
    What is this? A comic? Simple googling didn't help me.
    It's a Manga, about a Master Bartender in a small tokyo bar. Seventeen volumes of Manga, and eleven episodes of anime.
  • It's a Manga, about a Master Bartender in a small tokyo bar.Seventeen volumes of Manga, and eleven episodes of anime.
    Was it actually purchased through the Kindle? I'm really not fully aware of the DRM on e-readers, so I don't know how easy/difficult it can be to put "free digitally acquired" media on them.
  • edited October 2010
    It's a Manga, about a Master Bartender in a small tokyo bar.Seventeen volumes of Manga, and eleven episodes of anime.
    Was it actually purchased through the Kindle? I'm really not fully aware of the DRM on e-readers, so I don't know how easy/difficult it can be to put "free digitally acquired" media on them.
    It's a downloaded PDF scanslation. Pity it was never officially translated into english. I'm also reading Deadpool on the kindle as well. It's not as easy to read (a skosh small), but it's still very readable.

Anyhow, I ended up giving the card to my dad.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'll be the last person to say that it is frustrating that the Kindle Store does not have all the things I would like to read. Not to sound like I'm badgering, but what do you personally want in the Kindle that the current iteration does not currently feature?
    For starters, I want a Tove Jansson book. Kindle does not have, library does. You are badgering. Sheesh. You can have your kindle, but I don't care one way or the other. I'd rather spend my money on a NAS, if I had to choose useful tech I need right now.
  • I'd rather spend my money on a NAS, if I had to choose useful tech I need right now.
    QFT.
  • I'd rather spend my money on a NAS, if I had to choose useful tech I need right now.
    QFT.
    Yep. And if you salvage an old box that has the necessary SATA buses, you could probably build one for the price of just the hard drives.