This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mispronunciation of the day

2»

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Dear readers,

For many days I have been too busy to listen carefully to the podcast. Unfortunately, this has prevented me from finding mispronunciations.

The good news... I actually had time to pay attention to the 10/12/06 episode. And what graced my ears? Several questionable pronunciations that I let slide. But then... there was something so terrible, so awful, that I just had to reserect this thread...

It's a simple little word: "merlot." Not complicated at all. Ever heard of Merlin the magician? If you have, then pronouncing Merlot is pretty damn easy. As a matter of fact, almost any word that starts with "mer" would tell you how to pronounce Merlot. Three little letters... "mer"... as easy as can be.

And then came Scott... His mangled pronunciation (at 35:20 into the show): "Mare Low." WTF? Do you see an "a" anywhere in the word? His mispronunciation is laughable given the fact that no rule of English could possibly result in that pronunciation. Heck, even the French would look at Scott with a pained and quizzical look on their faces. Maybe he was describing a crouched horse. I doubt it, though.

To make matters worse, Rym jumped into the mispronunciation cesspool and pronounced it the same stupid way.

Note: Partial credit is given for pronouncing the last syllable correctly. Admittedly, that one presents a challenge.

Ah, I feel so much better now. The universe is back to normal.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited October 2006
    Oh my God! That will teach me to post before listening to the entire episode. Silly me, thinking that there would only be one mispronunciationon on 10/12.

This one is a beauty. There is a difference between mispronouncing a word, and just not knowing a word. Not knowing a word, and using it anyway, is a grave offense. It's the perfect storm of lack of grammatical knowledge and arrogance.

The word... "modicum." Rym's pronunciation... "modicrum." What the f*ck is that? That's not even a word??!!! He even mispronounced the first syllable! Absolutely no partial credit can be given for this word. It was pronounced so poorly, that I almost feel guilty pointing it out. I'm starting to wonder if it was the result of a cognitive limitation, and not a mere mistake.

To hear the embarassment, forward to 46:30,
  • Rym's pronunciation... "modicrum." What the f*ck is that?
    I caught this one too. Almost said something, but it was too late.
  • edited October 2006
    I caught this one too. Almost said something, but it was too late.
    That is no excuse. Even schoolchildren know this lesson.
  • edited October 2006
    I had a trial this week, so I didn't get a chance to listen to the podcast - until now.

A delightful little gem was uttered on October 19th. There is a general rule of pronunciation: If you know nothing about a word, you are more likely to pronounce it incorrectly. Today's word... "cordiality." Double points are awarded today since the collective Scrym got it wrong. Unless they were trying to describe a stack of wood, they just butchered it. To hear it, forward to 27:15.

Oddly enough, Rym pronounced it correctly later in the show. He must have been a lemming jumping off the mispronunciation cliff after Scott said it incorrectly. Where is that confidence Rym?

Let's see if they are men, or if they are little girls. A man will admit their mistake. A sad, scared little girl will claim that they were using the British pronunciation. Only time will tell.

Since the mispronunciations are frightening in their frequency, perhaps Scrym should spend some time at this site.

Bonus word! Here Rym screw up "ramifications" at 43:00.
  • blah blah blah blah, you should be glad that I have not guest appeared on the show. I mangle words daily, and I doubt there are many that can do a unscripted radio show that would not mispronounce a word occasionally. I don't recall them ever saying they were perfect at pronunciation. It's the factual stuff that's a lot more fun to call them on.
  • edited October 2006
    Cremlian, you've forgotten the reason this thread was created. Scrym claimed that spelling ability (and grammar) was an indicator of general intelligence. I started this thread to disprove that claim.

I'm trying to show that you can make these types of mistakes and not be stupid. Although, in Scrym's case, I'm thinking about revising my hypothesis. ;-)
  • edited October 2006
    Yea, but spelling and grammar are different than mispronouncing spoken words said off the cuff. I do, however, agree with the premise that you are trying to achieve.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    yea but spelling and grammar are different then mispronouncing spoken words said off the cuff.
    I don't really see how speaking off the cuff makes a difference. You either know how to pronounce a word, or you don't. Even when I'm speaking formally, I don't take any more time to reflect on my pronunciation. I might be more careful about what I say, but if I have to also think about pronuncation, it's going to be a pretty poor speech.
  • What do you think about people with accents? Do Bostoners mispronounce every word?
  • Why do you want to pick on Bostonahs? So what if we pahk ah cah in the Hahvahd yahd!
  • Accents are perfectly acceptable. I enjoy accents, actually.
  • What do you think about people with accents? Do Bostoners mispronounce every word?
    Why do you want to pick on Bostonahs? So what if we pahk ah cah in the Hahvahd yahd!
    Better call Randi!
  • edited October 2006
    Accents are perfectly acceptable. I enjoy accents, actually.
    Every time I mispronounce a word, that's actually my Queens, NY/Connecticut accent.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Every time I mispronounce a word, that's actually my Queens, NY/Connecticut accent.
    Sorry, but I'm from Connecticut. I've also spent plenty of time with New Yorkers. Nice try!
  • Accents are perfectly acceptable. I enjoy accents, actually.
    Every time I mispronounce a word, that's actually my Queens, NY/Connecticut accent.
    I thought that was your "I don't know what I'm talking about" accent.
  • Jesus Christ. Since I'm getting a DS Lite in a few days, I was just listening to an archived podcast on Advance Wars. The podcast is from July 25th, 2006. At 27:45 Rym mispronounces the word "preface." The proper pronunciation can be found here. Hard to screw up this word - yet Rym found a way.

So let this be a lesson... Your old podcasts aren't even safe from Mr. Pronunciation!
  • At some point in an episode from last week Rym pronounced entrepreneur wrong.
  • Bummer. I missed it! I was not able to listen much last week because of work commitments.
  • Every time I mispronounce a word, that's actually my Queens, NY/Connecticut accent.
    Fk'in Yankee.
  • Oh, and I just remembered.

Amun Re is pronounced Ra, or 'rah'. In the Egyptian language, the e in Re is pronounced 'ah'. So it's 'a-mun rah.'
  • It's a two-for day! On 11/7/06, Scott graced us with the following mispronunciations:
    1) Chi
    2) Principe

Scott's correction of "disparate" was not necessary. Both pronunciations were acceptable.
  • 11/27 on File Systems

IF it's the city in TEXAS *cough cough* it's Play-no. Not plan-o. :D
  • It's been a long time since I've listened to the show. Being the holidays, with work slowed down somewhat, I managed to scrape together some time. I click my little clickwheel... only to have my ears start bleeding at 8:43 in the 12/26/06 show. (For the Europeans, that's 26/12/06.)

The word is gerrymander. It's pronounced like "Jerry," as in "Jerry Seinfeld." Rym sounded more like Kramer.

I hope you were kidding, but sadly... I don't think so.
  • By the way... a little bird told me that you challenged my ruling on "asbestos."

Dictionary.com agrees with me.
    Merriam Webster agrees with me.
    The Cambridge Dictionary agrees with me.
    YourDictionary.com agrees with me.
    Newbury House agrees with me.

Rym, the offender, does not.

Needless to say, my ruling stands.
  • The word is gerrymander. It's pronounced like "Jerry," as in "Jerry Seinfeld."
    I very specifically said it with a hard "g." The word is derived from the name of a US politician who redrew voting districts in order to favour his party, and is a portmanteau of his last name, Gerry, and "salamander." (The district in question ended up looking somewhat like a salamander on the map).

Elbridge Gerry's name was pronounced with a hard "g." Out of respect for the man and the origin of the word, I pointedly pronounce gerrymander the way it was pronounced when the word was coined. ^_~
  • edited December 2006
    Oh... you taunt Mr. Pronunciation. That is worse than taunting happy fun ball.

Good old Elbridge. While noting that your pronunciation was incorrect, according to the dictionary, you excuse is nonetheless accepted - reluctantly.
  • Oh... you taunt Mr. Pronunciation.
    Hey! I gave you that title, and I can take it away!