This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Whatever, Sony.

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
The Playstation phone is officially announced and it looks awful.

My prediction:

Comments

• edited October 2010
    They'd be better off just adding phone functionality to the PSP Go.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Say what you will about Sony, when they make a hit, they make a hit. I love my PSP something fierce. I've probably played it more than I've played my DS over the last few year.
  • Ehhh, I wouldn't really call the PSP a hit...
  • Pretend he said PS2.
  • edited October 2010

The PSP has it's perks, but compared to the DS, it's not really a hit.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • From what it looks like, it doesn't seem like it is what it should be. It seems like they have made an android phone and put it in a PSP Go's body. Which is ok, but it should be a fully functioning PSP with a fully functioning phone.
    The PSP has it's perks, but compared to the DS, it's not really a hit.
    Ehhh, I wouldn't really call the PSP a hit...
    Actually it is. Granted it's not selling like the DS, but it has sold a rather large amount. More than large enough to be a sustainable portable console, if that wasn't the case you wouldn't be seeing games still coming out for it. Especially not games like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, or the new God of War.
    My prediction:
    It can't possibly be an N-Gage. Even at it's worst its just an Android smart phone like any other one. The N-Gage was an underpowered device that didn't know what it wanted to be, and couldn't do anything well. It's games looked terrible, they were difficult to play (let alone swap in and out of the device.) It couldn't even function as a decent phone, forcing you to hold it awkwardly in order to even make a call.
  • Actually it is. Granted it's not selling like the DS, but it has sold a rather large amount. More than large enough to be a sustainable portable console, if that wasn't the case you wouldn't be seeing games still coming out for it. Especially not games like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, or the new God of War.
    The fact that it tried to introduce a failed media standard (UMD) is proof enough that it's not a "hit".
  • The problem with the Ngage was the hardware really just wasn't there yet. Being a guy and thus socially unable to carry a purse, the fewer gadgets I have to carry around the better. The primary problem they're going to have with this is battery life me thinks.
  • The Playstation Phone looks...Lame...People should just wait for the PSP2 or whatever.
  • Being a guy and thus socially unable to carry a purse
    Haven't you heard of a satchel?

If you were awesome, you can make it socially able. Or just don't give a fuck.
  • People should just wait for the PSP2 or whatever.
    If Sony is clever they're going full on with phones and offering a pseudo ipod touch for the non-phone market.
  • The fact that it tried to introduce a failed media standard (UMD) is proof enough that it's not a "hit".
    The fact that it's the first portable competitor to any Nintendo handheld since the Game Gear that's held on for more than a year and gotten broad adoption is proof enough that it is.
  • Looks like it's being widely reported that the leaked Sony phone details are fake.

It'll still suck though.
  • Looks like it's being widely reported that the leaked Sony phone details are fake.
    That's a shame, because the slide out game pad is a brilliant idea for solving the touch screen control issue.
  • The fact that it tried to introduce a failed media standard (UMD) is proof enough that it's not a "hit".
    The fact that it's the first portable competitor to any Nintendo handheld since the Game Gear that's held on for more than a year and gotten broad adoption is proof enough that it is.
    I think you could say this about almost every Sony product, so it's not a good indicator of whether a product is a "hit" or not. I get angry at Sony not out of console war fanboyism, but from the complete bullshit they pull on the consumer. My wife bought a Sony camera (against my urging), and has a proprietary battery, crazy proprietary connector for the USB cord, and had to order a memory stick b/c it doesn't take any of numerous SD cards we already own. Also, Blu-Ray is a complete money grab, and is a technology needed only by true A/V buffs, but is being relentlessly pushed on the broader market.
    So? I'm not going to say it's a great medium for movies, but it's perfectly fine for games. Just as the DS carts are fine too (it's sort of the whole N64 cart vs PS1 CD thing again kind of.)

Regardless of that the PSP has 60.6 million in total worldwide sales, the DS has 135.4 million. Compared to the consoles, its sold 21.7 million more units than the PS3 worldwide, 15.7 million more than the Xbox 360 worldwide, and 14 million less than the Wii worldwide. CITATIONED
  • Now what's that compared to the generation it came out in?
  • Now what's that compared to the generation it came out in?
    That is it's generation. The PSP was released in Japan in Dec. of '04 and the US in March of '05. The DS was released in both the US and Japan in Dec. of '04.The 360 launched in Nov. of '05 and the Wii and PS3 launched Nov./Dec. '06.