This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Happy Armistice Day

RymRym
edited November 2010 in Everything Else
Happy Armistice Day.

It is 11:11:11.111 (give or take), 11/11/10, the day we celebrate the armistice of 11:00:00.000,11/11/18, which technically ended World War 1, a war that killed as many as 20 million people, resolved nothing, decimated Europe, and left the open wound that festered eventually into World War 2.

It is arguably the day that the old world, the world defined by the Congress of Vienna, died. In a way, it was the end of the pre-industrial world, and the beginning of a new time of troubles that lasted until the first, last, and only use of nuclear weapons in our history on the Japanese cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

This was a war of a century ago. The century before it saw Napoleon. We've come a long way.

Comments

• It's also Veterans Day. Thank a Vet!
  • If you ever had any doubts of how destructive this war was, take a look at this footage.
  • It was also called The War to End War.

It is right to remember it and understand it and also understand that it is inseparably a part of the second World War. I find that this War is sometimes overlooked as a fundamental part of world history, in the shadow of WWII, and we often ignore that the aftermath affected more than the physicality of the world, borders, landscapes, etc. - it changed ideas. I find it profound, especially the effect it had on art and technology.
  • edited November 2010
    I went to Tea and Sympathy today and got a red poppy for donating to the Royal British Legion.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • War, war never changes.
  • edited November 2010
    War, war has changed.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • War, what is it good for?
  • edited November 2010
    War, what is it good for?
    At the risk of being called a heartless bastard, I'd say that war is very good for technology. Name a piece of tech and I'll bet someone can trace its development to some sort of martial application.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Good God y'all!
  • World War I never happened. There are no eye-witnesses.
  • World War I never happened. There are no eye-witnesses.
    Actually, while I'm pretty sure there are no more surviving veterans of WW1, I'm pretty sure there are still a few living people who witnessed it in some fashion.
  • Actually, while I'm pretty sure there are no more surviving veterans of WW1, I'm pretty sure there are still a few living people who witnessed it in some fashion.
    Wrong
  • Actually, wasn't WWI and II being grouped up as the Second Thirty Years War? o.0