This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gamestop is screwed (Amazon now accepting trade-ins for credit)

Comments

• I don't think that the kind of people who trade in games at Gamestop are the same kind of people who use Amazon.
  • The prices are better than Gamestop too. I have a feeling, should I want to trade stuff in in the future, this will be my method of choice. Get a box, get some games, send it in, get a gift card, buy new game. Far more efficient.
  • I don't think that the kind of people who trade in games at Gamestop are the same kind of people who use Amazon.
    I think they would be, but they simply don't have credit cards yet.
  • I think the fact that Amazon will give me $10 to $20 towards my next video game purchase when I pre-order a game (or buy it in the first few days of release) is going to kill GameStop off more then trade-ins will.
  • Considering some of Gamestop's latest shenanigans (in particular, that is, not saying they don't have a similar track record), I say more power to Amazon (which I already love and use over Gamestop). I don't know if this has been done for any other games, but I know that Gamestop is now taking pre-orders for Halo Reach DLC that comes out at the end of the month, which basically means you go once to the store now to put money down, then again to the store on November 30 to pick up your download code. It is not offered online, only in store, and to coax you into doing it they're adding in an exclusive Xbox Avatar Helmet. I'm just at a loss for how to respond to that.

Link: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/12/pre-order-halo-reach-noble-maps-at-gamestop-for-flaming-helmet/
  • I truly can't remember the last time I bought a physical media game to begin with (I buy off Steam now), so I'd say Gamestop was screwed before this, but this pretty much hammers the last nail in the coffin.
  • I think the fact that the shipping to Amazon is free is probably what makes this an attractive offer over a service like Glyde. Plus the fact that you don't have to wait for someone to buy something.