This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I Want To Build A PC

edited November 2010 in Technology
... But I am a total newbie when it comes to that. I can solder, (electronics course in high school) and I am willing to do most of my research on my own, but I want opinions from you guys.

Mainly what I want is a gaming machine. I am now playing mostly computer games off Steam, and my current rig can't hold too much more and is already slowing down. I also do a lot of stuff on the internet, so a good wifi card would be a plus. Everything else I can handle because I use open-source programs like Open Office.

Comments

• From what I've heard, building a laptop is really not any better than just buying a prebuilt one and really is just way too much bother. Also, why do you want a laptop for gaming in particular? And what kinds of games are you looking to play? If its for LAN parties I would just look into building a desktop with a LAN case. If you just want to bring counter-strike or a few multiplayer games with you, I'd just build a desktop and buy a small laptop capable or playing some games like a highend eeepc, or the alienware m11x.
  • edited November 2010
    Build a laptop? Possible, but I'd hardly call it "building" in most cases. Do you mean a desktop?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah, pretty much the only answers you'll get from this thread will be:
    1. Don't try to build a laptop, just buy a Lenovo/Asus/Dell/HP/etc. laptop
    2. Don't try to get a gaming laptop.
    3. Buy a netbook and build a gaming desktop (It's my current situation and it's fantastic).
    4. Seriously, don't get a gaming laptop.
  • edited November 2010
    There are rare but specific circumstances that warrant a laptop capable of playing modern games.
    Personally, I bought one in the U.S. while I was over there for 6 months, since I wanted to play games over there; I carefully chose one that wasn't hugely overpriced unlike Alienwares, and it wasn't too bad a deal compared to typical Australian prices.

Nonetheless, if you go with a desktop, you'll get better hardware for the price, and then buy a separate laptop.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I've just used laptops for most of my adult life so far. In college I took my old laptop with me fucking everywhere and I'd type class notes, dates to remember, or just goof around on the internet if the class was boring enough. I only had the laptop so it was pretty much my go-to thing. Now I've got this decent eMachines one that I got at Best Buy in a package deal and while it has served me well these past months I feel I could do better. I mostly play games that aren't incredibly hardware intensive, like Command And Conquer and the like (as an aside I'm not too good at RTS games but I think I'd be better than Rym and Scott. Yes that is a challenge.). I don't do multiplayer much, and never do LAN so that's not much of a concern. Aside from that, right now a desktop isn't the best, because where I'm mostly use a computer is in an easy chair in my living room. My own room doesn't have any working outlets, and the computer room has a 2001 desktop, but no tv. I like to have tv on in the background when I'm on a computer.

I suppose once I go back to college I could build a desktop with what I need and keep the laptop for schoolwork and the like.
  • Just buy a regular laptop that happens to be able to play games, not a special gaming laptops. With few exceptions, like the alienware m11x, gaming laptops are always expensive and huge. Just but a laptop with a decent videocard and you will be fine. I really wouldn't bother even trying to build one.
  • edited November 2010
    I can solder
    But can you solder surface mount components?
    shit is so hard >:0
    Post edited by Wolfin on
  • Toaster oven reflow, dude. Easy peasy.
  • I can solder
    Yes. We had to solder together a circuit board for a multimeter as a final project in high school electronics.
  • I can solder
  • We had to solder together a circuit board for a multimeter as a final project in high school electronics.
    Did you then test the multimeter with the multimeter?
  • edited November 2010
    We had to solder together a circuit board for a multimeter as a final project in high school electronics.
    Did you then test the multimeter with the multimeter?
    Yo dawg, we heard you like... What? That meme is played out? Oh. Ok. :)
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited November 2010
    video
    Om nom deliciously informative video. Thanks!
    I worked in assembly/testing (mostly stuffing boards and testing) for an aircraft electronics manufacturing company.. We were always told that solder transfer (tip to pad) was only ever for tack-soldering. I guess that's why he says, "this may seem like a mortal sin." But honestly how bad can it be to do that, especially if you've already applied flux?
    Post edited by Wolfin on
  • Okay so what would you guys suggest for someone's first PC build?
  • edited November 2010
    How much, roughly, have you got to spend? Also, what parts (Monitors, mice, etc..) do you already have?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've got about $400 now, and am willing to wait a couple of paychecks to get what I need. In terms of what I have, well I've got a mouse and if I really wanted to I could just use the case and monitor from my family's PC, but that's probably not gonna happen.
  • edited November 2010
    I've got about $400 now, and am willing to wait a couple of paychecks to get what I need. In terms of what I have, well I've got a mouse and if I really wanted to I could just use the case and monitor from my family's PC, but that's probably not gonna happen.
    Well, without a monitor, save up until you have at least $800 or more preferably $1000. For $400 the best you are going to get is a netbook. If you don't care about gaming, a netbook is actually a good idea. In fact, if you don't need high performance there's no real reason to build a PC in the first place.

Another good idea might be to find a gamer who is buying a new PC and buy their old one. If they are a frequent upgrader, you can maybe get something that was awesome two or three years ago. It won't play the hottest newest games, but it will probably get you further than the family PC. Unless that family PC is brand new or something.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've got about $400 now, and am willing to wait a couple of paychecks to get what I need. In terms of what I have, well I've got a mouse and if I really wanted to I could just use the case and monitor from my family's PC, but that's probably not gonna happen.
    Well, without a monitor, save up until you have at least $800 or more preferably $1000. For $400 the best you are going to get is a netbook. If you don't care about gaming, a netbook is actually a good idea. In fact, if you don't need high performance there's no real reason to build a PC in the first place.

Another good idea might be to find a gamer who is buying a new PC and buy their old one. If they are a frequent upgrader, you can maybe get something that was awesome two or three years ago. It won't play the hottest newest games, but it will probably get you further than the family PC. Unless that family PC is brand new or something.
    *Whine* I want to play my Steam games. Although admittedly I'm hardly on the move much anymore so a laptop for gaming isn't necessary, and once I go back to college I probably will want to be in the comfort of my dorm room to play games rather than out and about so a dedicated gaming PC and a netbook for schoolwork and surfing would be good.