This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Onion coming to television!

edited November 2010 in News
It looks like Jon Stewart will finally have some competition.

America's finest news source is joining the IFC lineup in January 2011.

Comments

• ONN > Jon Stewart by a longshot. Very stoked for this.
  • ONN > Jon Stewart by a longshot. Very stoked for this.
    They are Radically different shows. Onion makes up news/parodies it while Stewart reports the news in funny ways.
  • But Onion News Network is infinitely funnier.
  • But Onion News Network is infinitely funnier.
  • But Onion News Network is infinitely funnier in a different way.
  • Funny Onion headlines, GO!: "School Bully Not So Tough Since Being Molested"
  • edited November 2010
    But Onion News Network is infinitely funnierin a different way.
    Who gives a shit? If two things are meant to be funny, why can't I say which I find funnier? Maybe that "different way" of being funny just isn't as funny as another way.

Not that I don't like Jon Stewart, but a full-on ONN program would utterly dominate the "daily satirical news show" market for me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Not that I don't like Jon Stewart, but a full-on ONN program would utterly dominate the "daily satirical news show" market for me.
    My only concern is the long form. Onion is best in small, concise doses, and I worry that a show would lead to filler.
  • Onion is best in small, concise doses
    How do you know if they haven't done anything in long-form before? ;)
  • Not that I don't like Jon Stewart, but a full-on ONN program would utterly dominate the "daily satirical news show" market for me.
    My only concern is the long form. Onion is best in small, concise doses, and I worry that a show would lead to filler.
    I was about to post this, but figured I'd hit refresh first. How often is this show supposed to come out? Daily or weekly?
  • There is a website called Daily Mash which has consistently great headlines, hinting at hilarious fake news stories. For example "TESCO NAILS CHICKEN TO RIVER COTTAGE DOOR."

But then, without fail, the fake news stories themselves suck. I never read past the headline whenever a friend links to it.

Onion TV is funny all the way through, but only because they are short. Longer, and they might suffer from the same problem.
  • A lot of Onion articles have the same problem Luke described.
  • But Onion News Network is infinitely funnierin a different way.
    Who gives a shit? If two things are meant to be funny, why can't I say which I find funnier? Maybe that "different way" of being funny just isn't as funny as another way.

Not that I don't like Jon Stewart, but a full-on ONN program would utterly dominate the "daily satirical news show" market for me.
    same goes to you. Why can't I describe what I find funnier in a different way? I get the same amount of chuckles, laughs, and giggle fits from both, but the Daily Show makes fun using existing content, whereas The Onion does so by making up stories. I don't think that it would work the other way around, so that's why I make the distinction.
  • You guys should watch last night's eps of daily show (Nov. 19th).
  • Does anybody watch IFC anyway? I mean, really?
    I had to use Google to figure out what you meant by IFC. I have never encountered it in my life.

Having now looked it up, I've never seen it. ^_~
    I had to use Google to figure out what you meant by IFC. I have never encountered it in my life.

It's not like it's going to be on Comedy Central. This is a channel 15 people watch.
  • edited November 2010
    Does anybody watch IFC anyway? I mean, really?

It's not like it's going to be on Comedy Central. This is a channel 15 people watch.
    I don't know what channel it is either, but keep something in mind. Only 15 people watched Comedy Central before the Daily Show/South Park took off.

One awesome show can make a channel. Fox was nowhere close to ABC/CBS/NBC until The Simpsons raised it up.

Of course, ONN is almost definitely NOT that show.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think it would be great in the Onion is a good show, I however think I'll always enjoy DS better because it actually deals with day to day news. Doesn't mean ONN is not great.
  • I think it would be great in the Onion is a good show, I however think I'll always enjoy DS better because it actually deals with day to day news. Doesn't mean ONN is not great.
    I like ONN, but can only take so much of it. I like how it comes in light doses, such as one short video every day or two.
  • I remember like 5 years back, I'd go into work on Saturday mornings early deliberately because my store's break room had IFC and it ran old Zatoichi movies in Japanese with subtitles. Otherwise I never cared about it.
  • I remember like 5 years back, I'd go into work on Saturday mornings early deliberately because my store's break room had IFC and it ran old Zatoichi movies in Japanese with subtitles. Otherwise I never cared about it.
    My mom loves Zatoichi. #seriousnotamomjoke
  • My mother loves Zatoichi as well. As do I. And my father.
  • Onion Sports Network is actually the least funny of all Onion stuffs.
  • Onion Sports Network is actually the least funny of all Onion stuffs.
    I agree, but the fact that it's on Comedy Central is a big deal.
  • Onion SportsDome is SERIOUSLY AWESOME. Even if you're not into sports (e.g., me), it's still hilarious. You should all check it out (it's not available from Comedy Central online, unfortunately, but it's available in the other usual places)
  • I've never found ONN particularly funny. I mean, it's funny, but not notably.
  • We're 2 episodes in on Onion News Network and 3 episodes in on Onion SportsDome and both are holding up pretty well. I suggest you check it out.