This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New York City Homicide Map

RymRym
edited November 2010 in News
For anyone unaware, there is an interactive map of homicide statistics for New York. I appear to live in one of the safest places in the entire city it seems.

The saddest correlation I see is that white/asian people are staggeringly less likely to be a perpetrator OR a victim than any other statistically significant race. Men are far and away the most common perpetrators and victims of deadly violence, almost all of which involve firearms.

Edit: removed my awesome typo.

Comments

• I appear to live in one of the safest places in the entire city it seems.
    Killing strippers is so 80's.
  • Well I think I know where I wanna live when I move to the city: Queens.
  • For anyone unaware, there is aninteractive map of homocide statistics for New York. I appear to live in one of the safest places in the entire city it seems.
    I have one of those for Albany too. That's how I figured out that my block in Arbor Hill is actually safe.
  • That's how I figured out that my block in Arbor Hill is actually safe.
    What about the next block?
  • I wonder if there are any safe places when Mr. Period comes after you.
  • What about the next block?
    It's 3 blocks till the shootings start.
  • LA has one too.
    Interesting that the infamous Compton has relatively fewer murders.
  • Uh Rym, you do realize that you misspelled Homicide in your link too?
  • Uh Rym, you do realize that you misspelled Homicide in your link too?
    The evidence just keeps piling up.
  • edited November 2010
    LA has one too.
    Interesting that the infamous Compton has relatively fewer murders.
    What are you looking at? This page shows that there's been a murder in Compton about every ten days since the start of the year. Sure, Compton is loads safer now than it was in N.W.A.'s time, but it's still definitely a place to be generally avoided.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Compton is loads safer now than it was in N.W.A.'s time, but it's still definitely a place to be generally avoided.
    No! Don't avoid me! Come back!
  • No! Don't avoid me! Come back!
    *soooooo many jokes*
  • I am literally "straight out of Compton"
  • I am literally "straight out of Compton"
    I wouldn't say "straight out." I'm sure it was more complicated than that. I'm sure your mother can go into great detail.
  • I wouldn't say "straight out." I'm sure it was more complicated than that. I'm sure your mother can go into great detail.
    Wow, until just now it never even occurred to me that Emily had a mother. What is mother Compton like?
  • What is mother Compton like?
    Awesome! Artistic! Nice!
  • Wow, until just now it never even occurred to me that Emily had a mother.
    Wait, What?
    What is mother Compton like?
    Awesome! Artistic! Nice!
    The apple doesn't fall far, evidently.
  • Wow. 10 blocks south and east of me is a hotbed of gunslaying and homicide. Remind me not to venture over there. My street (and the streets nearby) are pretty safe, though.
  • I forgot Staten Island existed until I clicked to see the percentages broken down by borough.

Also, very sad to see that a good chunk of these are listed with the motive of domestic dispute. Just get divorced, people.
  • I forgot Staten Island existed until I clicked to see the percentages broken down by borough.

Also, very sad to see that a good chunk of these are listed with the motive of domestic dispute. Just get divorced, people.
    I have to thank the Beastie Boys for making it impossible for me to forget about the 5 Boroughs.

"Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten, from the Battery to the top of Manhattan"
  • No sleep till...
  • Staten Island apparently.