This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm missing something obvious about the archives

edited December 2010 in Everything Else
I've finally finished listening to the past 100 episodes that I could download through iTunes, and am in the mood for more. When I go to the archives and click to download, my browser begins playing the audio, but doesn't give me a way (that I see) to download the file. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Comments

• OzOz
    edited December 2010
    Right click on the link that says "Download Mp3" and click on "Save Link As..".
    Post edited by Oz on
  • I knew it would be something that would make me feel stupid, but didn't expect something quite that simple. Thank you, sir.
  • You're welcome.
  • the best thing to do is get a Huffduffer account. Just Google it, and you'll see why this is invaluable. It is a service that lets you right click on any MP3 download link, and then select “Huffduff it". What happens then is simple, all it does is add it to an RSS feed which you subscribe to in iTunes. It then let iTunes downloaded automatically for you, into your feed, and then put onto your iPod just like any other podcast.

I have an account, and I use all the time. Then again I do listen to lots of podcasts, and so I think in terms of audio files. Still, an RSS feed, just the audio file that you find around the Internet and want to listen to later, it's invaluable.
  • I would love to create an RSS feed that contained every episode ever. I could do it trivially. The problem is that the RSS readers and podcatchers all break. They can't handle it. As most people use iTunes, that's what we have to consider first. So every feed we have contains only 100 episodes.

Protip:
    http://frontrowcrew.com/about/subscribe/
    Instead of subscribing to just the one feed, subscribe to the four separate Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday feeds. They have 100 episodes each, so that will take you back 400 episodes. That's not all of them, but it's four times as many.
  • This is why I created a page with all of my podcast listed in a single column. Now I am past 100 episodes people can't easily get them just by subscribing with iTunes. Maybe you could do the same Scott. A page with a single list should be quite easy to program with your insane mad skills.
  • Here's an idea, if you want to cater to people who have the itch to start at the beginning one day and listen to what they missed, create a "Geeknights Classics" RSS feed that is just your first hundred episodes. If you get to the point in a year or so where you have 600 total episodes, then it's time to create "Geeknights Classics vol 2: 101-200"
  • First of all, there seems to be a small issue with the meta-data of those archive files. Almost all of them are seen as being from 1/1/2009.

Secondly, has anyone considered four massive torrents, each containing every episode in one of the catagories?

• Secondly, has anyone considered four massive torrents, each containing every episode in one of the catagories?
    That's not how podcasts work. This has the same problem is putting all of the episodes on DVD, it's just a massive unwieldy file, and that's no good for anyone.
  • We could make archival feeds. It wouldn't take that much fiddling on my part to categorize/tag them so that Scott could present feeds.