This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Reference/Paper Management Software

edited December 2010 in Everything Else
I'm looking for a nice, free application to help me manage my papers and references. The only one I'm aware of is Zotero, but I'd rather not have to deal with a Firefox plugin. Anyone have experience with other software that handles this functionality?

Comments

• I've used EndNote and BibTex before. But I'm pretty bad at trying to organize them with that. Most of my papers are just in subfolders. There's also CiteULike, though I haven't tried that. I'm going to try Mendeley as I really need to get all my thesis references together somehow.
  • MS Word 2007 has great reference tracking functionality built in.
  • MS Word 2007 has great reference tracking functionality built in.
    Uh no.
  • Endnote was great once I figured out how to use it properly. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's really useful.
  • Endnote was great once I figured out how to use it properly. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's really useful.
    Also expensive and doesn't work on Linux :( Mendeley looks great, I'm going to try it out.
  • Ars recently wrote up a review of Mendeley that made me want to try it, but I first saw it halfway into my current project and haven't had the time to go back and type up all of my written annotations/highlights.

Anyways, it looks cool. I've also used RefWorks, but I think that's a institution-based thing that's expensive for the individual user.