This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Want to buy a good pair of headphones...

edited December 2010 in Technology
I have a bit of extra money from my birthday, and I need a new pair of headphones, preferably not earbuds like I've had, and preferably ~$50 or so. Anyone have any good suggestions for quality headphones that will last maybe 2-3 years? Or even longer, if that's possible. My roommate bought some supposedly high-quality headphones that broke in a few months, so I want to shop around and get a good value for what money I wind up spending.

Comments

• Go with Sennheiser. The 428s are just above your price range. I love mine.
  • Hey guys, I'm looking at some headphones to replace my broken Sennheser PMX60 set. I set my budget at around $100, and I've been looking at Grado's SR-60i. Would these be a good fit?

I'll be using them as both 'out and about' type headphones at for sitting behind my computer playing games for extended periods of time. Do you guys have any better recommendations?
  • Senns are pretty fucking good. I've got a pair of HD465s I've been battering around for 2 years now, and they're still going strong. The previous suggestion from Trogdor of the 428s is worth bearing in mind, but if you want to wear them out and about, I'd also suggest looking at the HD-280 Pro cans. Also, no matter what headphones you're getting, if you're going for out and about headphones, I'd suggest getting around-the-ear cans instead of the open air cans - Open air lets in a lot of outside noise, which can get kinda annoying when you're walking near a road, crowds, so on.
  • edited May 2011
    I have the SR-80s and I love them, but they are designed to be open-ear. As long as you don't need to use them on airplanes all the time, I recommend Grados. If you're someone who sits and uses their headphones for long periods of time, open-ear cans are nice because they cut down on fatigue.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I have Shure SRH440s which are studio quality microphones that I use mostly for watching movies in noisy or situations I don't want to make a lot of noise. http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU

My day to day PC headphones are Sennheiser HD201s. They sound great, are lightweight, cheap, and don't block out outside noise. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XJSQC

However, those HD428s are probably the best deal you'll find.
  • Hey, are there earbuds that anre't totally shit? I listen to Geeknights and Dave and Joel on my shitty night shift job to stay sane, but I'm obviously not allowed non-earbud headphones. Are all earbuds the same uncomfortable pieces of shit or is there something I can order that won't leave my ears hurting after an eight hour shift?
  • Hey, are there earbuds that anre't totally shit? I listen to Geeknights and Dave and Joel on my shitty night shift job to stay sane, but I'm obviously not allowed non-earbud headphones. Are all earbuds the same uncomfortable pieces of shit or is there something I can order that won't leave my ears hurting after an eight hour shift?
    I have the Shure SE115s, which are comfortable but they are also noise isolating so I can't use them in work, for example. Great for planes and trains, ect. http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE115-RD-Isolating-Earphones-Microspeaker/dp/B001TDKMLY/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1305504013&sr;=1-11
  • For sitting about, I love my Grados, to the point that I knit new covers for them when the sponge pads wore out.

For out and about, Soundmagic PL-30 is actually decent. I modded mine with silicone flange-style ear plugs from my broken Etymotics. The cord was too long for me (I like to clip my sansa near my shirt collar), so I clipped and rewired them shorter.
  • edited May 2011
    Going along with Sail, best pair of headphones I've ever owned: http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr80.htm

Had them for about 7 years and still working. Sound quality is AMAZING (seriously, if you can test these out in a store, DO IT).

If they're too expensive, you can also downgrade to the SR-60s without losing much quality.
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
    I know Bose is rather overrated, but their in ear headphones are super comfortable and I can wear them for long periods of time with no discomfort. I still prefer my big Sennheisers, but in a pinch or when I know I won't have a place to put the Sennheisers I use them. The little ear hook they have now works wonders.
    Amazon Link!