This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

AMD Laptops

edited September 2006 in Technology
As far as desktop PCs go, AMD is the cheapest and most efficient way to go. But I have no idea about laptops as I have not been paying attention to the non-Apple laptop business, so can anyone tell me how AMD does in laptops?

Comments

• You can get an AMD Laptop if you want. In terms of functionality, they work just fine. If you want a 64-bit laptop, then AMD is the way to go. However, when you get right down to it, the newest Intel Core Duo chips are probably the best laptop chips ever in terms of power consumption and efficiency. They're no slouches when it comes to performance either.

I guess it depends what you want a laptop for. Are you going to buy something that sits on your desk 99% of the time, but once in a blue moon you will take to a LAN party? Are you going to get something you take with you everywhere at every moment? Are you going to run Linux? These are the important questions to ask when buying a laptop.

I'm waiting a good long time before I buy any more computers. Intel is really starting to give AMD a run for their money, and the ATI+AMD merger has really thrown things for a loop. Wait for the dust to settle before you throw your money down.
  • The thing is, my mom asked me about this and she wants a computer for entirely different reasons than I do. I intend to get a MacBook Pro eventually. My mom really just needs a big (15-17 inch) screen and some speed. She won't need a long battery life, she'll probably be on battery moving from the living room to the kitchen. So it'll be on a desk or table most of the time. Good luck getting my mom to touch anything other than Windows, no Linux for her.
  • I was looking at a really cheap laptop ($300 after rebate) for my wife on www.compusa.com. When you try to order one, the order form crashes. I was ordering bare bones without all the extras that they try to stick you with. I wonder if it still crashes if you load it up with their rip-off stuff. Hmmm.
  • I found that same laptop, Thaed, and I made it as cheap as I could and I got all the way to adding it to the cart and it worked fine. I don't really want to buy it, so I stopped there, where exactly was your problem?
  • edited September 2006
    I found that same laptop, Thaed, and I made it as cheap as I could and I got all the way to adding it to the cart and it worked fine. I don't really want to buy it, so I stopped there, where exactly was your problem?
    It was right at the end, it kept crashing. I even used three different browsers. I suspect it was just a CompUSA problem though, as two minutes ago I successfully bought one for my wife. So, there was no evil on the part of CompUSA, just my usual paranoia. :)
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • Yeah, for a mom it's definitely all about the cheapest laptop you can find. If you're going for big and rarely moved I know Toshiba makes some nice ones.