This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SEX IS GOOD FOR YOU!!!

edited January 2011 in Science
Well at least if you're a grape vine :P

Lack of Sex Among Wine Grapes Saps Its Genetic Health
Much to his surprise he found that 75 percent of the varieties were as closely related as parent and child or brother and sister. “Previously people thought there were several different families of grape,” Dr. Myles said. “Now we’ve found that all those families are interconnected and in essence there’s just one large family.”

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Well at least if you're a grape vine :P
    Ah, but the benefit is not to the individual grape vine having the sex, but to its genes and probably to its offspring.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Was sex ever bad for you?
    It depends on who it's with, really.
  • Hybrid vigor is a pretty well-established principle. The benefit of sexual reproduction between lines is both to the individual (dramatically lowers the danger of expression of damaging recessives) and to the genetic diversity of the line (more possible gene combinations means more potential to have the traits necessary to survive and reproduce).
  • edited January 2011
    It honestly never occurred to me that vines could have sex.
    Post edited by Sail on
    There was once an interesting medical belief in the dark ages that semen was equivalent to an exponentially larger volume of blood and that you could basically bleed yourself out by having too much sex.

How this fit into the similarly perioded belief in blood letting, I don't know.
  • It's always good for me. Especially lately. Hopefully, there will be a little Jason in the oven soon.
  • It's always good for me. Especially lately. Hopefully, there will be a little Jason in the oven soon.
    TMI TMIIIIIIIIIIIII ;-p
    TMI TMIIIIIIIIIIIII ;-p
    Tell Me In-Depth? OK, here goes....
  • So that's how babby is formed? Interesting...
  • edited January 2011
    Tell Me In-Depth? OK, here goes....
    I wanna hear about it in-depth, the TMI was the little Jason, fetuses are obscene ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited January 2011
    It honestly never occurred to me that vines could have sex.
    Pollen is tree jizz.

You're welcome.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Mildly surprised no one has made a tentacle rape joke yet.
  • This is not the thread I thought this would be. I am disappoint.
    Well, in Lady Snowblood the main character kills a woman by having so much lesbian sex that she dies...
  • Wait, if all grape vines are closely related, doesn't that increase the chance of them being wiped out by a single disease?
  • Wait, if all grape vines are closely related, doesn't that increase the chance of them being wiped out by a single disease?
    Lack of diversity! It cannot be! It's Probable?
    Welcome to banana town.
    I thought either Ro or you had started it when I saw the title.
    Eh. As much I'd want to, I wasn't in the mood. Work has been rough today.
  • Work has been rough today.
    I thought you liked it rough.

/guys, it was RIGHT THERE
  • Work has been rough today.
    I thought you liked it rough.

/guys, it was RIGHT THERE
    UGH. >____< I tend to do that. Reminds me of a time when I said as I was at a bar, a few long island iced teas in, I say to a friend who got a fresh long island with a cherry, "OH! You got a cherry. I miss my cherry."
  • I thought you liked it rough.
    Just the way your mother likes it, Trebek.
    Wow. I must have a bad rep. :D