This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Work Playable Video Game

edited January 2011 in Video Games
Ok, it's a slow time at work. It's even slower because people are staying home in the snow. I need some sort of entertainment that I can do at work. The game needs to be a turn based sort of thing that I can take slow and take frequent breaks from. It also needs to have a lot of replay value, so I don't get bored of it very quickly. Also, complicated controls are bad, since I've just got a laptop with a touchpad to play it on.

Comments

• Do you want to play questions?
  • I love that game.
  • Any sort of Roguelike variant.
  • edited January 2011
    Any sort of Roguelike variant.
    Desktop Dungeons is pretty good.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Dwarf Fortress
  • Ah, rogue-like. Good call. I suck too bad at Nethack though. And Dwarf Fortress... maybe. I'll try desktop dunegons.
  • neptune pride loser.
  • Elementia!
  • Spelunky.
  • edited January 2011
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is fairly fun and accessible. It even has a fairly in-depth tutorial.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm having a TON of fun with Dungeon Raid on the iPhone. It's a little bit like Puzzle Quest but cuts all the story crap out and just focuses on the battles. Turn based of course.

Or you have your story based games aka Phoenix wright, that are simple and you can put down anytime, for a newer variant try 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

Does it have to be a laptop game?
  • Does it have to be a laptop game?
    Yeah, you can't sit with a DS at work fool!
  • Scott are people actively watching you while you work? I always pictured you having a pseudo-office or at least your own cube.

Do I have it all wrong?
  • Scott are people actively watching you while you work? I always pictured you having a pseudo-office or at least your own cube.

Do I have it all wrong?
    Nobody is actively watching me, but people come over to ask for things. If I'm sitting on a DS, that doesn't look too good.
  • edited January 2011
    Does it have to be a laptop game?
    Yeah, you can't sit with a DS at work fool!
    Lol, yeah, figured. But you would be surprised at what you can get away with on an iPhone. Not everyone *clicks* that it's actually a games device as well. I play turn based games frequently during quiet times.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on

Do I have it all wrong?
    Nobody is actively watching me, but people come over to ask for things. If I'm sitting on a DS, that doesn't look too good.
    Ohhhhh, I hadn't thought of that. If people are constantly sticking their head into your workspace that's almost as bad.
  • Yeah, iPhone games are ok.
  • IF you turn the sound off (obviously), DoomRL fits your bill fully.
  • I'd recommend Spelunky.
  • I prefer to read about things if work gets slow.
  • I prefer to read about depressing things if work gets slow.
  • Play igo against a computer, it wont make your skills at igo really great but it wont be too terrible either. Unless you're pushing the dan ranks, don't bother then.
  • Spelunky is no good, it's real time.

Desktop Dungeons is good, but hard as balls. Also it has flaws. The dungeon generator sometimes creates impossible dungeons. Oh look! I'm trapped and the only way to get out is to fight a monster 3+ levels greater than me.
  • Spelunky is no good, it's real time.
    But you can pause.
  • edited January 2011
    Desktop Dungeons is good, but hard as balls. Also it has flaws. The dungeon generator sometimes creates impossible dungeons. Oh look! I'm trapped and the only way to get out is to fight a monster 3+ levels greater than me.
    It also really sucks to play some of the classes with a touchpad. The Transmuter made my hands sore.

TIGdb might be of interest to you.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Gunter's link just reminded me of Yahtzee's point-and-click adventure games. Bing, bang, and boom.
  • Desktop Dungeons is good, but hard as balls. Also it has flaws. The dungeon generator sometimes creates impossible dungeons. Oh look! I'm trapped and the only way to get out is to fight a monster 3+ levels greater than me.
    I think that's partially why the game has feature that if you just quit you get some of your gold for the next round. Little price for knowing when to run away.
  • Desktop Dungeons is good, but hard as balls. Also it has flaws. The dungeon generator sometimes creates impossible dungeons. Oh look! I'm trapped and the only way to get out is to fight a monster 3+ levels greater than me.
    I think that's partially why the game has feature that if you just quit you get some of your gold for the next round. Little price for knowing when to run away.
    However, that feature is annoying because if you want to play optimally you should have the maximum amount of money when you start.
  • Gunter's link just reminded me of Yahtzee's point-and-click adventure games.Bing,bang, andboom.
    If it's a point and click adventure, I'll just watch it on YouTube.
  • Umm. You're looking for time-wasters, yet you still insist on playing the game ^in the most efficient way possible?