This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mighty Max

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
Anyone remember the Mighty Max toys? They were these playset-type things that folded up into large creatures and stuff, and each one came with a little Max figure (a little kid with a red hat) and some villains and traps and such. I remember there were also large playsets (one was a big mountain and one was a dragon head kinda shape) which came with more villains and heroes (including a big guy named Norman, which I somehow remember). There was also a cartoon series but I don't emember that taking off. I have a box of these things at home and I was wondering if anyone else loved them as much as I did as a kid.

Comments

• I remember there was a TV show, used to watch it all the time on Saturday morning. I forget exactly what it was about though.
  • I never actually watched the show, I only saw one episode and all I remember from it is that Norman was an idiot.
  • edited September 2006
    I remember both the play sets and the tv show. (I got the play set as a party favor from a boy's birthday party. I was upset because I was the only girl who got a boy's toy.)

I remember liking the show, actually. It aired on USA for a while... from what I remember at least two seasons. (Don't quote me on that one, though.) There was also some bipedal intelligent chicken guy who insisted that his species was a 'fowl,' which became an ongoing gag.

[edit] oh hey, here's the IMDB. Looks like they had a storyline about Cthulthu.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • I had quite a collection of these toys. I remember one being a coiled snake, another a kind of generic Frankstein's monster head...another was a Yeti. They expanded the line later on with larger playsets...Actually, a few years later I think they did a very similar line of Star Wars toys. I distinctly remember R2-D2 unfolding into Jabba's palace. Good stuff.
  • I remember the show more then the playset. The show was kinda interesting from what I remember.
  • I loved those playsets. I watched the shows occasionally, but I defeinatly remebmer having hours of fun with those little fold up playsets. Does anyone remember the big huge lava monster playset? He shot some kind of missle out of his chest and moved around and stuff.
  • edited September 2006
    The only things I remember about that show are the voices. Max was voiced by the same guy who did Raphael on TMNT (and Yakko, and Pinky, and Morte, and about a scajillion other voices; the dude is a voice-acting powerhouse), and his owl/bear/friend/thing was the inimitable Tony Jay (voice of Megabyte and countless narrations; another voice-acting powerhouse).
    Post edited by crowe on
  • I wasn't sure I remembered this show until I looked it up and saw some pictures. It was never on when I could see it, but I caught a few episodes here and there.

I was more of a M.A.S.K., Thundercats, David the Gnome (don't ask why...), Gargoyles (when I could catch it), kid. At least, until I discovered anime. ^_~
  • Thundercats what the shit man. I loved that show. I also watched a good deal of Captain Planet.
  • When I was a kid my parents got the idea that I was watching too much TV. Their solution was to establish a system where I'd earn credits by doing chores and could spend those credits on shows I wanted to watch. The only exception to this rule was family TV (evenings when everyone was watching) and educational shows.
    Well somehow I managed to convince my parents that Captain Planet was sufficiently educational and I became a fan not out of actually liking the show but because it was "free." Knowing that I missed shows like today's Cthulu episode of Ghostbusters makes me want to cry for my lost youth.
  • You know, I half agree with this recent article that's been making the rounds. Now I'm starting to think that it's just terrible parents all around. Limiting your kids video game and tv usage is only going to make the covet those things more. The key is to just teach your kid as much as you can, and let them learn from their own decisions. I am just really bothered by this culture in which parents are essentially dictators over their children.
  • I remember playing with the little toys and occasionally watching the television show when I was younger but I can barely remember anything about it.
  • Mighty max was awesome! However i never saw the series for some reason. I did get the toys though and they were great, although the little mighty max figure and generic evil bad guy figures were FAR too small and loseable. But who cares because captain planet and Thundercats beat the hell out of that loser Max. Those toys were super amazing and i have heard the guy who does solid snakes voice did captain planet so it/he = cooltastic. Also captain planet totally taught me about the environment and general be awesome life skillz.

Thundercats HOOOOOOOOOO!