This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Freelance Work for Us

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
So, share and share alike, as the saying goes. I often get freelance gigs from my artsy friends and often return the favor. I thought it might be good to spread the love and have a little thread for posts of little gigs in programming, web design, art, etc.

First one is for my friend Seb;
He needs design work, a skin/graphics/etc. put on an already coded website. Willing to pay a stiped. If anyone is interested, reply publicly with an example of previous design work, and whisper me your email.

You may continue to put these kinds of requests in, and share in the gigging love.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • edited February 2011
    This is a great idea. I'm pretty sure my parents need an illustrator for a children's book my mom is writing. I'll confirm and reply here.

Anyway, I'll throw my hat in as a contractor for audio production. My clients have included "Friday Night Party Line", "Current Issues in Credit Unions", and Polycom. I have experience doing audio editing and cleanup (noise reduction, hiss removal, etc). I've also done video work for MIT's Langer Labs. My full resume' is available on my website.
    VictorKhaze.com
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If people need design work, I would also recommend 99designs.com. You can decide how much in advance you want to pay, then let everyone do the job and award the cash as a prize to the one you use.
  • If people need design work, I would also recommend99designs.com. You can decide how much in advance you want to pay, then let everyone do the job and award the cash as a prize to the one you use.
    That site is generally unfair to designers. Cause the ones who don't win get nothing for their hard work and those who do win get so little in compensation.
  • edited February 2011
    If people need design work, I would also recommend99designs.com. You can decide how much in advance you want to pay, then let everyone do the job and award the cash as a prize to the one you use.
    That site is generally unfair to designers. Cause the ones who don't win get nothing for their hard work and those who do win get so little in compensation.
    That's why I was recommending it for people who need to hire out for some quick design work. I know it's a harsh view, but if you can get a satisfactory result and it's at a greatly reduced cost, then why go elsewhere? If you need premium service or top notch product, go elsewhere and pay that premium.

Sure it's a bit sweatshop-ish, but who is it unfair to? I see it as a place where high schoolers and college kids can annonymously show their chops and build a resume. If someone has a masters in design and is relegated to entering online design contests for peanuts, then they're doing it wrong.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I'm not looking for freelance at this second, however, I know an excellent artist and illustrator who is. She's currently Based in Portland, Oregon, but can telecommute, to the best of my knowledge.
  • If people need design work, I would also recommend99designs.com
    I was thinking that this is more about sharing leads we get personally than reposting internet freelance aggregation sites. You can do that, too, though.
  • I'm not a freelancer, but my wife is a freelance web and print designer. If anyone needs anything, let me know or contact her via her website, http://www.lotzdesign.com (samples of her work can be seen there as well).

• Sure it's a bit sweatshop-ish, but who is it unfair to? I see it as a place where high schoolers and college kids can annonymously show their chops and build a resume.
    So putting high schoolers and college students in a sweatshop is ok?
  • So putting high schoolers and college students in a sweatshop is ok?
    Well, to be honest, they're choosing to put themselves in the sweatshop, and they can leave at any time, so in this case, yes - because it's their choice to do so, and they can make the choice to leave at any time.
  • Well, to be honest, they're choosing to put themselves in the sweatshop, and they can leave at any time, so in this case, yes - because it's their choice to do so, and they can make the choice to leave at any time.
    I was twisting his words cause the way he worded it made it seem that way. My joke seemed to fall flat.

On a serious note, like you said it's a place where you want to get a quick design for cheap and you get what you pay for. And again it's unfair to those who do a lot of work and get nothing for it. Sure they'll get more exposure but I get the feeling its from more people who'll only pay very little for their design.
  • And again it's unfair to those who do a lot of work and get nothing for it. Sure they'll get more exposure but I get the feeling its from more people who'll only pay very little for their design.
    Exposure? Never do work for free or cheap for exposure. Do it for the work.

To become a professional juggler, I spent about 4 years performing at every opportunity. 90% of these shows I did either for free or for so little money it didn't even cover my expenses. When I quit my full time job I kept up a very similar policy, and was skint for another two years. Even now I perform at juggling conventions and don't get paid.

Why? For exposure? No! For practice.

If you want to become a designer, the only way to get work is to be good. The only way to get good is to practice. A service that lets you take comissions, or try to win them, is a perfect way to practice. Exposure should be the last thing on anyone's mind when they are starting out. What if they miraculously did a perfect job on their first try, and got "exposed", and got a professional contract? Would they be ready for it? Nope! If they took the contract, and failed (as they are most likely to do) would they get more work, or would their reputation be spoiled for the future? Well... it's hard to know.
  • To become a professional juggler, I spent about 4 years performing at every opportunity. 90% of these shows I did either for free or for so little money it didn't even cover my expenses. When I quit my full time job I kept up a very similar policy, and was skint for another two years. Even now I perform at juggling conventions and don't get paid.

Why? For exposure? No! For practice.
    That's pretty much why most of the DJ-ing gigs I do now are for so little pay or for free. Even though I'm not looking to become a "Professional DJ", I enjoy it, and the only way to really practice is to be in front of a crowd.
  • If designers are hurting themselves by doing 99 designs, then what of all the programmers doing open source? They're actually doing high quality work, at the bequest of nobody, for free!
  • edited February 2011
    If designers are hurting themselves by doing 99 designs, then what of all the programmers doing open source? They're actually doing high quality work, at the bequest of nobody, for free!
    Right, but if you were a coder looking for work, would you code half the software a company wanted for free? Also, Coders who write programs for free and for the public good are the same a artists (of all sorts) who do their craft for the public good; be it painters, musicians, or designers. They do it because they want to, which is entirely different that doing it and expecting to be paid.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • They do it because they want to, which is entirely different that doing it and expecting to be paid.
    If you are bidding (and not getting paid to bid) for a project, you aren't expecting to get paid. If you have to put in all the work for the final job before being selected to be paid for the work done so far, you aren't expecting to be paid.
  • http://www.shouldiworkforfree.com/
    I like that diagram, but that is for an already established professional. When I, as a juggler, am asked to perform for free, I say no 99% of the time. When I, as a photographer, am asked if someone can use my images for free, I say yes 99% of the time. With one skill I am at the point where I expect money, and with the other I am at the point where I want more practice.
  • Exposure? Never do work for free or cheap for exposure. Do it for the work.
    I'm not saying doing it for the exposure which is what I thought Gundabad was advocating for when he said "show their chops". I was saying yeah exposure might be a good thing but generally not worth it.

Yeah I agree I getting the practice in does make you good at whatever craft you're good at.
  • I was saying yeah exposure might be a good thing but generally not worth it.
    I'll agree with that. Exposure is good, but can be gotten at much lower cost in most cases.

Even almost a decade ago (before GeekNights ), we refused to perform at conventions unless we were compensated in some way. Now, we even refuse to perform despite offers of compensation in many cases. The "Exposure" conventions like Otakon got for us initially was fantastic, but even then it alone would rarely have been worth the effort.
  • I'll agree with that. Exposure is good, but can be gotten at much lower cost in most cases.
    If you have graphic design skills and want exposure, the best way to get it is to design something that will be spread around the Internet. An inforgraphic usually works. As does any sort of clever mashup.
  • If you have graphic design skills and want exposure, the best way to get it is to design something that will be spread around the Internet. An inforgraphic usually works. As does any sort of clever mashup.
    Poster designs work very well for that. Don't even bother to print or sell them: just make them.
  • If you have graphic design skills and want exposure, the best way to get it is to design something that will be spread around the Internet. An inforgraphic usually works. As does any sort of clever mashup.
    Poster designs work very well for that. Don't even bother to print or sell them: just make them.
    Shepard Fairey and Banksy.
  • Man, I still remember the school bathrooms and bus stops in elementary school being plastered with OBEY stickers. Every kid my age knew of Shepard Fairey before we even knew his name.
  • Man, I still remember the school bathrooms and bus stops in elementary school being plastered with OBEY stickers. Every kid my age knew of Shepard Fairey before we even knew his name.
    What does OBEY have to do with Shepard Fairey? It has a lot more to do with Rowdy Roddy Piper. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/
  • edited February 2011
    What does OBEY have to do with Shepard Fairey?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What does OBEY have to do with Shepard Fairey? It has a lot more to do with Rowdy Roddy Piper.
    Not any more, I'm sorry.

Though, oddly enough, Fairey took inspiration for the OBEY logo from the Billboards in "They Live". However, I don't think you can claim that means it has more to do with Rowdy Roddy Piper, simply because most people don't know about that connection.
  • That was an excellent movie. Here's a fun fact: Rowdy Roddie Piper graduated from my highschool. He came back to give an inspirational speech or something and basically just told us that he got super rich by slacking off, then wrestling drunk bears etc. The faculty were pretty shocked by that and he hasn't been invited back.